Terrace Group Including Interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terrace Group Including Interiors

Item details

Name of item: Terrace Group Including Interiors
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Location: Lat: -33.8699534780282 Long: 151.191301433113
Primary address: 5-15 Mount Street, Pyrmont, NSW 2009
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
5-15 Mount StreetPyrmontSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The terrace group dates from one of the key period of layers for the development of Ultimo/Pyrmont as a direct result of subdivision of the Harris and Macarthur Estates. It is a good example of a Victorian terrace which makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.

No.9 is a good example of an infill Federation terrace which makes a positive contribution to the streetscape
Date significance updated: 04 Nov 08
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: William Evans (No.9)
Construction years: 1850-1909
Physical description: No's.5-7: The remnant fabric of a pair of Victorian Georgian terraces. No 5 has a ground floor constructed from smooth hewn sandstone blocks with a first floor of rendered brick. A timber cantilevered balcony projects from the first floor. No 7 is constructed from sandstone blocks on both floors. Multi-pane glazed window sashes, and slate roof, although in poor condition, appear to be the original.

No.9: The building is a 2 storey Federation terrace constructed of face brickwork with timber double hung windows and timber doors. There is a central bracketted timber post and timber balustrade to the upper floor verandah, and segmental arched window and door openings. One of the corbelled chimneys has three chimney pots. The roof is gabled and clad with tiles, and there is a decorative iron fence to the front of the property. It has many typical decorative features of the period intact; namely, tuck pointed face brickwork, manganese brick lintels to the door and window openings, and framed timber first floor balcony valance. Category:Group of Buildings. Style:Federation Queen Anne. Storeys:2. Facade:Tuck pointed face brickwork, manganese brick lintels to the door and window openings, and framed timber first floor balcony valance.. Side/Rear Walls:Brick. Roof Cladding:Gabled Roof and Clad with Tiles. General Details:Refer to Archaeological Zoning Plan.

No's.11-15: A group fo 3 mid Victorian 2 storey terraces bald faced face brick mid Victorian terraces with timber windows and doors. They are of typical tow-storey terrace configuration, with skillion-roofed wings at the rear. The main roof is gabled. The houses are plainly detailed, with flat arched windows, no verandahs and squat chimneys with a single chimney pots.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
No's.5-7: In poor condition - the roof has been removed and only part of the original façade remains.

No.9: The building is in good condition with many typical decorative features of the period intact; namely, tuck pointed face brickwork, manganese brick lintels to the door and window openings, and framed timber first floor balcony valance.

No's.11-15: In good condition.
Date condition updated:04 Nov 08
Modifications and dates: No's.5-7: c.1850
No.9: 1909
No's.11-15: c.1860 (Extensively refurbished c2000)
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential, Vacant
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.

(Information sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/barani )

The first land grants were made in 1794 to John Malone (24 acres) and William Mitchell (18 acres) and in 1795 to Thomas Jones (55 acres). John Macarthur acquired the portion originally granted to Thomas Jones in 1799 and this eventually became the Pyrmont Estate but remained largely undeveloped. The area was named in 1806 after a popular German spa near Hanover. Following Macarthur’s death in 1834, the first plans for subdivision were proposed by his son Edward in London 1836. These were deemed unsuitable and a second plan of 101 lots was devised in 1839. By 1843, most lots south of John Street and some to the north had been sold or leased and developed for residential use. John William Russell, a Sydney shipbuilder, purchased 2 lots fronting Pyrmont Bay and constructed a shipyard, and similarly shipbuilder Thomas Chowne leased lots fronting Johnstons Bay. In 1844 Pyrmont was incorporated into the City of Sydney and the early 1850’s saw a number of major developments in Pyrmont and also in Ultimo to a lesser extent.

In 1853, the Sydney Railway Company resumed 14½ acres of the Ultimo Estate for a railway line to and with a terminus at Darling Harbour. Also in 1853 Charles Saunders purchased land from the Harris family for a sandstone quarry on the northwest side of the peninsula. This developed into a substantial operation including a causeway to Darling Island and supplying stone for the construction of a number of major buildings in Sydney including the University of Sydney, Colonial Secretary’s Building, Lands Department, General Post Office, and other buildings in Melbourne, New Zealand, Fiji and Canada. Other industries established in the area at the time included an iron foundry. The first Pyrmont Bridge c1858 (a timber toll bridge from Market Street) stimulated further development in the area. The first school in the area located in Mount Street was opened in 1858 and around the same time a Police Station, Presbyterian and Catholic Churches were established. A bridge was constructed in from Pyrmont to Glebe across Johnstons Bay c1860.There was significant industrial growth in the area in the 1870’s including the City Iron Works and the Colonial Sugar Refinery Company (CSR) in 1878. By the early 1880’s Union Square was established as a commercial centre and by 1900 most residential development had ceased by which time the Pyrmont and Ultimo Power Houses had opened and the new Pyrmont Bridge had been constructed. Most development in the 20th century was commercial and industrial and included additional woolstores, Pyrmont Incinerator (1934) , flour mills (1940), additional power stations (1955) and the Government Printing Office (1960’s).

No 5 and No 7 were built by John Thorpe, stonemason, who occupied No 7 and sold No 5 to Jabez Brown. Both of these houses were occupied by their owner's family until the turn of the century, though the owners of both changed in 1870s. No 9 was a separate house which was pulled down in 1891 and the present building was erected in 1909. It was owned during this period by John Shakeshaft, who had also purchased the adjoining terrace of three houses in 1860 from William Evans, builder. The CSR company purchased all the properties progressively between 1903 and 1913 and maintained them as rental housing for company employees.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Residential-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building group has historic significance as it dates from the key period of development of Pyrmont/Ultimo and the subdivision of grand estates into residential and commercial development.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building group has aesthetic significance as a good example of a mid Victorian house which demonstrates many of the key aspects of the style as an early rare example of Victorian Georgian terrace in Pyrmont.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
It is unlikely that the site would reveal further information that would contribute to the significance of the area.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The building group is not rare.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building group is a representative example of a mid Victorian residential building found in Ultimo/Pyrmont and the inner suburbs of Sydney.
Integrity/Intactness: No's.5-7: Low
No.9: High
No's.11-15: Medium due to extensive refurbishment
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the facade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, shall not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the Sydney City Council Development Control Plan.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I124014 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Pyrmont/Ultimo Heritage Study1990 Anglin Associates  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  City of Sydney, "Ultimo Pyrmont Haymarket Study". City of Sydney, "Ultimo Pyrmont Conservation Report" (Ranking - 2).
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenAustralain Heritage Commission1998Register of the National Estate Database

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2424455


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.