Terrace Group Including Interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terrace Group Including Interiors

Item details

Name of item: Terrace Group Including Interiors
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Block of Flats
Primary address: 232B-232D Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
232B-232D Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address
232b-d Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The site provides evidence of the early subdivision and Federation development of the of Toxteth Estate. The building is a rare high quality example of a substantially intact Arts & Crafts residential exterior with potential to be restored with minimum effort. The building is significant for its contribution to the streetscape and reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address.
Date significance updated: 18 Apr 07
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A group of three two-storey attached grand terrace that dates from the Federation period within the key period of significance, set on a wide site that has retained its context despite Mayfair flats adjoining. The building is setback from the street. The site has a detracting front fence of face brick and chain wire approximately 1.2 metres high. The front garden is large and landscaped and features mature trees at 232d.The façade presents a complex symmetrical elevation and is constructed of face brick and sandstone with singled verandah finishes. The roof is gabled with a medium pitch, and has broad exposed eaves. The roof is clad in terracotta tile and concrete tile and features brick and roughcast chimneys, terracotta chimney pots and a central tower. Gable ends are shingled. The verandah runs either side of the tower and occurred at both levels and has a bell cast profile. It is clad in terracotta tile and features timber columns, timber fretwork balustrade and brackets, tessellated tiles and marble steps and shingled skirt. The façade is infilled and features rock-face stone coursing, corbelled sill. The front doors to 232b and 232c are recessed and are 3-panel and 6 glass-pane doors with fanlights and a pair of 8-pane panelled doors with high and 8-pane side lights in centre with coloured glazing. Fenestration comprises vertically proportioned double hung timber windows and are largely obscured by infill.The building appears to be in fair condition and is substantially intact. Alterations appear to be reversible. Alterations include verandah infill, security grills, painting of face brickwork and stone at 232b and 232c.
Modifications and dates: Reverse changes in conversion to flats - scope to fully restore.including front gardens and fencing. Removal of paint from face brick and stone.
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Boarding House - terraces converted to flats
Former use: Residences

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 “to relieve the pressing needs of clergy”, Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. The Toxteth Estate comprises 4 lots from the 1828 subdivision of the Glebe. Lot 21 was acquired by AB Spark, and lots 22-24 were acquired by George Allen.Toxteth Park was built for George Allen in 1831, to the design of John Verge. Toxteth Park house consisted of a rectangular two-storey block with single-storey wings and a stone-flagged verandah which was laid around two sides of the house. Set at right angles, behind the main building, and facing a large paved courtyard, were the kitchen and servants’ quarters. Shortly after the completion of the house the Sydney Gazette described its ‘spacious garden, containing some hundreds of the choicest trees- and a tract of forest land capable of being converted into the most romantic pleasure grounds’. On George Allen’s death in 1877, George Wigram Allen, his son, moved into “Toxteth House” but not before making extensive alterations to the principal buildings of the estate under the superintendence of G.A. Mansfield somewhere between 1877 and 1881. This action must have had a large impact on the popular builders of the adjacent estates, for, the greater part of the Allen estate seems to have been sub-divided and built up from the early 1880s to the early 1900s employing the Italianate and elaborate variations of it during the 1880s and 1890s, while the late 1890s and 1900s came under the influence of a “Federation” style. George Allen, in his will, decreed that only private dwelling houses be built on the future subdivision of the estate, and that they be constructed out of either brick or stone. Being a devout Wesleyan, Allens covenant prevented alcohol being brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe. George Wigram Allen died in 1885. Subdivision of Toxteth Park had commenced in earnest in 1884 with 88 building sites offered for sale. In 1886, Mills & Pile offered forty-five allotments for sale in Wigram Road, measuring for the most part, twenty-five feet to thirty feet. One hundred and thirty-four ‘choice villa sites’ were offered in Boyce Street, Ross Street and Toxteth Road.

The 1828 subdivision made allowance for in roads into the Glebe; Bay Road and Glebe Road (Glebe Point Road) were created by cutting through bush, pulling out stumps and ‘filling in the largest of the holes’. Glebe Point Rd, or alternatively known as the Glebe Rd, opened up in 1829 as the initial exploitive action in the form of a tract with fence either side. This basic line of communication cut into the then dense forest covering the Glebe with only bush tracks made by drays penetrating off the Glebe Rd to the individual estates. A main influencing factor on the character of the subdivided areas of Toxteth Park Estate was the covenant, issued on the death of George Allen, in that being a devout Wesleyan no alcohol was to be brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development, no commercial development, and that any building be constructed out of brick of stone or both. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe.

The earliest subdivision plans of the Toxteth Park Estate show the land north of Toxteth Road as a paddock. An undated (c.1884) Mills & pile subdivision plan of the Toxteth Park Estate shows the land subdivided into allotments, the only development being "Ellerslie" at the corner of Toxteth Road. By 1888, the Byrne map shows number 232 and 234 built, while the site of 232b-d remains vacant and unsold.

The property which became the current 232 Glebe Point road, was first listed in the Sands Directory of 1885, known as Paxton House, when it was occupied by Rev. Andrew Gardner , a Presbyterian Minister. According to Sands Directory, Gardiner occupied Paxton House until 1890. There were various occupants until 1920 , when a William Miller Stokes was still in residence, and there is the first mention of 232a-c, which were later to become 232b-d with the construction of flats between 232 and 232a-c in the 1930s.

The three terraces which comprise 232a-c are listed in Sands Directory as being occupied by a number of different tenants between 1920 and 1933, the last year of the Driectory. They were subsequently converted to boarding houses.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site provides evidence of the early subdivision of Toxteth EstateThe building has historical significance for its ability to evidence Federation development on the Toxteth Estate. The buildings' quality reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a major street. At the time it was built it made a significant contribution to the development of the Toxteth Estate.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Significant for its association with the development of transport node.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is high quality example of a substantially intact Arts & Crafts residential exterior with potential to be restored with minimum effort. The building is significant for its contribution to the streetscape. Reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The site has medium archaeological potential as an early 20th Century residence.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The group is a rare 2-storey Arts & Crafts terrace in Glebe.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
A representative example of an Arts & Crafts terrace.
Integrity/Intactness: Medium
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be included in the Heritage Schedule of the LEP and should be protected by the Conservation Listing. Subdivision should not occur. Consolidation of sites should not occur. The existing use of the site should continue. Appropriate fencing should be incorporated. Full restoration of the frontage of this significant building is recommended, involving: The removal of later verandah infill The careful removal of paint to red brick and stone work The installation of appropriate fencing to the period Careful front garden treatment. An appropriate unifying colour scheme typical for the period

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I74614 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Statement of Heritage Significance & Statement of Heritage Impact20190Nigel Parsons & Associates Architects  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenBerchervaise & Associates1991Main Street Study

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427725


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.