House Group "Killara", "Morocco", "Hillston" and "Strathmore" including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

House Group "Killara", "Morocco", "Hillston" and "Strathmore" including interiors

Item details

Name of item: House Group "Killara", "Morocco", "Hillston" and "Strathmore" including interiors
Other name/s: 223 - "Killara", 225 - "Morocco", 227 - "Hillston" ( sometimes spelt as Hillstone or Hilston), and 229 - "Strathmore"
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 223A-229 Bridge Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
223A-229 Bridge RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address
223A-229 Pyrmont Bridge RoadGlebeSydney  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

A good and locally rare example of an imposing group of Victorian Picturesque Gothic style villas, which apart from No 229 have had Edwardian alterations and additions. The group is prominently located on Bridge Road and makes an important contribution to the streetscape. The villas built for Charles York c 1875, date from the key period of development for Glebe as a direct result of subdivision of the grand estates.
Date significance updated: 19 Sep 14
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: 1914 alterations and additions - Findlay Munro
Construction years: 1875-1914
Physical description: The buildings were originally designed as a group of four Victorian Picturesque Gothic style houses with two mirrored pairs, but detached, which apart from No 229 were subject to alterations and additions in 1914.

Nos. 227 and 229 retain their form at the front whilst the rear of No 227 has been extended and altered. No 225 has become a pair of dwellings, with matching gables to the front, whilst No 223 has been extended on the north-eastern side, also as a pair.

No 229 is a bay fronted rendered brick Victorian Gothic style dwelling with a two storey front verandah, supported by flat iron columns and with filigree balustrading at first floor level. The underside of the verandah has unusually fine coffered framing. The flooring at ground floor level of the verandah is finished with tessellated tiles, a later resoration but in keeping with the period of the building. There is a two storey rear service wing, with a later side verandah which adopts a traditional form. Behind the service wing is a pair of back to back privies evidently required prior to the sewer.

The rest of the houses within the group are also bay fronted and constructed of rendered brickwork and have timber double hung (Victorian) and casement (Edwardian) windows and timber panelled doors. The two storey verandahs feature Edwardian detailing including turned timber posts, timber frieze work valance and curved beams. The verandahs are enclosed at first floor level with shingles and timber casement windows with triple multi- coloured panes to the top of each sash.

The group has generous front gardens with cast iron palisade style fencing, early path layouts and typical Edwardian plantings including hedges and palms.

The group has steeply pitched gabled roofs with carved timber bargeboards, and clad with slate/terracotta and feature dominant Victorian chimneys.

The villas retain many of their early internal stylistic features including fine cedar joinery, stair cases, and marble chimney pieces and elaborate moulded plaster ceilings and ceiling roses. Nos 223A-227 also feature Edwardian detailing including Art Nouveau motifs.

Excellent examples of former Victorian kitchens with intact cast iron stoves in the service wings still exists at Nos 223B and 227.

There are matching two storey stables buildings with slate roofs at the rear of Nos. 227 and 229, which are likely to have originally had servants quarters above.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
In good condition with a high degree of original fabric intact and high potential for restoration.
Date condition updated:19 Apr 05
Modifications and dates: 1914 - Additions and alterations were carried out in 1914 and included an addition of a two storey bay window section (now part of 225A) and an addition to the north - eastern side of 223 (now part of 223A).

1990s- Alterations and additons to No 229 to accommodate Ronald McDonald House. This included reinstatement of tessellated tiles to the front verandah floor at ground floor level, a two storey verandah to the rear service wing and an upgrade of bathrooms.
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential and hospital auxilary use

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population.

The site is part of an original land grant to Ambrose Foss in 1840. In the 1860s various portions of this original grant were purchased by Charles York - a carcass butcher from Forest Lodge who gradually consolidated a large portion of land fronting Pyrmont Bridge Road and Ross Street. On part of the land he constructed a grand house for himself named "Enfield Villa" which has since been demolished. On the remaining land he constructed four similar Victorian Gothic villas c 1875. (Nos. 223 - "Killara", 225 - "Morocco", 227 - "Hillstone" and 229 - "Strathmore").

The first time the four houses are listed in the Sands Directory with names, but not street numbers, is in 1882. These are No 125 - Thomas Littlejohn in Strathmore, No 123- Austin Wilstshire in Hilston, No 121- Alfred Lewington in Morocco and No 119 - GWF Addison in Killara. Thomas Littlejohn and Richard Charles Jones are first listed for Pyrmont Bridge Road in 1875, although no street numbers are given.

The houses were rented out until sold by the York family in 1913.

Matching pairs of stables had been built at the rear of Nos 227 and 229 by 1889.

No. 229 - "Strathmore" was sold to Patrick Shalvey in 1913 and retained its original Victorian detail. Shalvey was a large landholder who has an abattoir in Blacktown, where a suburb is named after him. The other three villas were sold to Findlay Munro - a local Glebe building contractor who carried out the Edwardian additions and alterations. Two of the villas (223 & 225) were subdivided into two terraces at that time. Findlay Munro is listed in Sands Directory as being the occupant of No 227 in 1920.

In the early 20th century many of the larger houses in Glebe were subdivided or used as boarding houses such as at No 229. A photograph taken in 1973, shows the house was used as a rooming house ( Smith and Smith 1989). In the 1990s it became Ronald McDonald House providing accommodation of parents of children in the former Camperdown Children's Hospital. In 2013 the Department of Health sold the house to a private owner who intends using it as a boarding house.

Original Architect (Based on Heritage Solutions 2014)
In 1875 two houses were tendered by architect David McBeath on 3rd August, with fencing for the same houses the following year. Ambrose Thornley Junior listed houses in Bridge Road in 1876. Whilst they both could have designed the house, and Thornley was Glebe based and later responsible for Glebe Town Hall, McBeath is more likely as the first occupants (Thomas Littlejohn and Richard Jones) were listed in Bridge Road in 1875. Further research is required to verify the name of the architect.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Residential-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The group has historic significance as it dates from the key period of development of Glebe and the subdivision of grand estates for residential and commercial development.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The group is associated with Charles York, a local carcass butcher.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The group has aesthetic significance as an imposing group of Victorian Picturesque Gothic style villas, which apart from No 229 have had Edwardian alterations and additions. The group is prominently located on Bridge Road and make an important contribution to the streetscape.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The area is not identified in an archaeological zoning plan and the area has been well researched and it is unlikely that the site would reveal further information that would contribute to the significance of the area.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
A locally rare group of freestanding Victorian picturesque Gothic Style villas, which apart from No 229 have had Edwardian alterations.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a representative example of group of Victorian Picturesque Gothic Style villas, which apart from No 229 have later Edwardian alterations and additions, found in the inner suburbs of Sydney.
Integrity/Intactness: Externally: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The buildings, including the former stables at the rear of Nos. 227 and 229, should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement should be prepared for the buildings prior to any major works being undertaken. All conservation, adaptive reuse and future development should be undertaken in accordance with the Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance (The Burra Charter) There shall be no vertical additions to the buildings and no alterations to the facade of each building other than to reinstate original/early features. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, shall not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the Sydney City Council Development Control Plan. The principal room layout and corridors as well as significant internal features should be retained and conserved including joinery, fire places, stair cases, decorative ceilings and the cast iron ranges such as those in the kitchens at No 223B and 227. The large front gardens are to be retained including any early path layouts, Edwardian plantings and palisade fencing.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I66314 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Leichhardt Municpal Heritage Study1990B47GMcDonald McPhee P/L  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City View detail
WrittenBernard and Kate Smith1989The Architectural Character of Glebe
WrittenD. Sheedy and C. Morgan1980National Trust Listing Card
WrittenHeritage Solutions2014Heritage Impact Statement- Strathmore, 229 Bridge Road, Glebe

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427737


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.