Hereford & Forest Lodge Heritage Conservation Area | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Hereford & Forest Lodge Heritage Conservation Area

Item details

Name of item: Hereford & Forest Lodge Heritage Conservation Area
Type of item: Conservation Area
Group/Collection: Urban Area
Category: Townscape
Primary address: , Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney

Boundary:

Area generally bounded by rear boundary of properties fronting the western side of Glebe Point Road, Wigram Lane, Orphan School Creek, Arundel Street, Ross Street, Great Western Highway, Seamer Street & St. John's Road.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
 GlebeSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Hereford and Forest Lodge Conservation Area has historic significance for its rare surviving early residential development Swiss Cottages (c. 1842) and Glenwood (c. 1837). The area possesses the ability to evidence early villa estates; Hereford (c. 1829), Rosebank (c. 1832) and Forest Lodge (c. 1836) and their incremental subdivision.

The conservation area is also of historic significance for a number of important civic and institutional buildings such as St James' Church and School, Forest Lodge Public School, Glebe Fire Station and Glebe Town Hall. Considerable social significance arises out of the presence and use of these buildings for over 100 years. The Town Hall also provides evidence of the incorporation of the Municipality of Glebe in 1859.


Hereford and Forest Lodge Conservation Area has aesthetic significance for its ability to illustrate various periods of development and architectural styles and building types (some of a very early date), and its landscape qualities. Residential development, encouraged by the tram extension in Hereford/ Forest Lodge, reflects the varied character of historic subdivisions, divided by the historic and aesthetically important Bridge Road. The predominant Victorian character is supported by several other important historic layers. The diverse social mix that is reflected in the building stock and inherent to the character of the suburb.

The area contains a number of aesthetically significant and prominent buildings such as the Glebe Town Hall, Glebe Fire Station, St James’ Church, the former Glebe Presbyterian Church as well as a number of villas particularly in Bridge Road such as Reussdale.

The area has rarity value for the survival of early pre 1860s residential development so close to the city centre.
Date significance updated: 06 Nov 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Various
Builder/Maker: Various
Construction years: 1840-1910
Physical description: The area has undulating topography, sloping steeply to Orphans Creek in the west and Minogue Crescent in the north. The precinct is bounded by the Toxteth Estate to the north, Bishopthorpe Estate and Parramatta Road to the south, Orphans Creek to the west and Glebe Point Road to the east.

The precinct is bisected by Bridge Road and Ross Street, both major traffic thoroughfares. The area has a dense pattern of narrow streets, which align with the Glebe Point Road, and generally disregards the topography.

Redevelopment of the former Childrens Hospital dominates the south - western corner. There are relatively few street trees, with exception of a notable avenue of Water Gums in Woolley Road. The interface with the former Childrens Hospital site has been landscaped.

The irregular grid pattern of streets and irregular subdivisions result in a less consistent housing stock than surrounding precincts. Predominantly two storey terrace housing on relatively small allotments, the area also includes single storey cottages and terraces, grand three storey terraces and fine villas on Bridge Road such as Reussdale. Building setbacks vary greatly, from immediately adjacent to the boundary to 10 metre setbacks, some containing established front gardens.

Enhancing the character of the area are a number of significant institutional/civic buildings. These include the St. James’ Group comprising the Church, Presbytery, School and Hall. In St John’s Road there is the St John’s Village (retirement home), Glebe Fire Station, Glebe Town Hall and the former Rehhoboth Primitive Methodist Church and Hall. In Bridge Road there is the former Glebe Presbyterian Church and Forest Lodge Public School whilst in Ross Street there is the Salvation Army Hall.

Near Glebe Town Hall, in St John's Road and returning into Ross Street is a small commercial strip which includes a number of Federation era buildings with early shopfronts, and the Victorian Regency style Nag's Head Hotel.

There are several large amalgamated allotments which reflect the layer of industrial development that occurred in the early 20th century.

Many of these have been redeveloped as residential sites in recent times.

The following significant public domain features are located within the Conservation Area
Street Tree Plantings: Woolley Road, Water Gums
Public Park: Kirsova Playground
Public Park: St James Park
Night Soil Lanes: Off Reuss Street
Night Soil Lanes: Off St Johns Road
Sandstone Stairs: Arundel Street
Orphan Creek: Forest Lodge western boundary
Monument: Foley Park
Public Stairs: Arundel Street
Public Stairs: Great Western Highway
Public Stairs: Kerridge Place
Vent shaft M.W.S. & D.B: York Street

Streets and Grading
Catherine Street: B
Bridge Road : A
Charles Street : B
Clare Street : B
Creek Street : B
Cross Street : B
Forest Street : B
Foss Street : B
Hegarty Street : A
Hereford Street : B
Jarocin Avenue : B
John Street : B
Junction Street : B
Lodge Street : B
Rosebank Street B
Ross Street : A
Short Street : C
St James Avenue : B
Walsh Street : C
Wood Street : B
Arundel Street : B
St Johns Road : A,
Upper Road : B

Lane Grading
Charles Lane : B
John Lane : B
St. James Lane : B
Woolley Lane : B
York Lane : B
York Lane Cross : A
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Generally good
Date condition updated:04 Oct 12
Further information: The Hereford and Forest Lodge Conservation Area was listed as part of the overall Glebe Conservation Area under Leichhardt LEP 2000 gazetted on 22/12/2000. Under Sydney LEP 2012, gazetted on 14/12/2012, the Hereford and Forest Lodge Conservation Area was listed as a separate conservation area.

Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential, commercial, institutional
Former use: Residential, commercial, institutional, industrial

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.

(Information sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/barani )

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 “to relieve the pressing needs of clergy”, Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but four lots (numbers 7,8, 27 and 28) were offered for sale. The Hereford and Forest Lodge Precincts comprise Lots 25, 26 and 28 of this subdivision. Lot 28 ‘Catherine’s Farm’, was granted to Catherine King in 1795.

Lot 25 was bid for by AK Mackenzie but not purchased until 1830 by FW Unwin. George Williams purchased lot 26 in 1828 and commissioned Edward Hallen to design Hereford House, named after Williams birthplace. Williams died in 1832, never having lived at Glebe. Hereford House was transferred to Ambrose Foss in 1833. John Verge made improvements to the house in 1832 and 1834. The property did not stay long in any one family, selling to William Hirst in 1837, to George Rogers in 1844, and to Thomas Woolley in1847.

The Forest Lodge estate originally comprised a grant made to Foss of thirty-one acres, two roods and fifteen perches under the hand of Sir George Gipps and dated March 8, 1840. Ambrose Foss, aged twenty-four, arrived with his young wife Louise (nee Fremantle) in the barque Alcrity on October 9, 1827. He set himself up as a Surgeon Dentist, Apothecary, Chemist and Cupper at 104 Pitt Street. By 1833 he was able to buy ‘Hereford House’ and its grounds for 2000 pounds. By 1836 Foss was ‘erecting a handsome house at the Glebe in the immediate vicinity of “Hereford House” lately purchased by him of Mr Williams.’ The house was in Bridge Road to the west of ‘Hereford House’, and between Jarocin Avenue and Ross Street. The approximate site today would be 208 and 210 Bridge Road. Foss gave his new house the name of ‘Forest Lodge’ because it was surrounded by great trees. A real estate advertisement in1848 described the house as ‘that delightful Residence at the Glebe…consisting of seven rooms, pantry, storeroom, kitchen, coach-house, stable and other detached offices’. ‘Forest Lodge’ passed into the hands on Dr George Bennett in 1846 and he owned it until 1865. In his time the land was reduced to one acre and twenty-six perches, of which a quarter of a perch was resumed for the making of Bridge Road. George Bennett, naturalist and surgeon became a vice-president of the Zoological Society, a member of the Board of the Australian Museum, a contributor to Lancet and other journals.

An area adjacent to the Hereford House Estate was that portion originally owned by Alex McKenzie, then FW Unwin who subdivided in 1829/30 into 5 blocks. J.W. Wood, T. Wolley, H.B. Bradley, D. Jones and F. Korff. A further subdivision occurred in July 1841 and was known as the Hereford Allotments, the land being cut up into 54’ x 100’ allotments. A description of the situation of these allotments is given in an advertisement of 4 July, 1841 S.M.H.;
".. opposite the highly cultivated gardens and extensive pleasure gardens of Dr. Bowman peculiarised by a junction with the property of Hereford House and grounds commanding a beautiful peep of Sydney and located in the midst of a cluster of highly respectable residences and tastefully laid out villas . The Road leads to properties of G. Allen, E.D. O’Reilly, Betts, Younger, Foss Esq. and other consequential neighbours. Excellent pump for general use – reserved passage has been kept. Society and neighbourhood of first respectability and stamp. Pleasant walk to town., and more particularly agreeable and pleasant from being that side of Sydney where the pedestrian is not inconvenienced by the Brickfielders, much to the annoyance of newly arrived persons, who are always anxious to avoid the whirlwind of dust prevalent in other situations. A resident in this quarter is particularly recommended to those gentlemen just commencing the honourable occupation of a merchant ' to individuals in office' to persons of moderate income and respectable tradesmen ' not inferior to Woolloomooloo for a quiet retirement after business hours and a delightful spot for rural recreation and good society. The soil has been improved by successive cropping."

A plan dated 1845 of the area indicates besides Hereford House and Forest Lodge, 10 other structures including substantial residences for Mr. Want, Mr. O’Reilly, Mr Wood, Mr Pollard and a Mr. Paverton as well as a double fronted building with out-offices, called "Swiss Cottages" on the corner of Glebe Point Road and Pyrmont Bridge Road. Mr O’Reilly’s residence as indicated on the 1845 map was placed on a lot of land at what now is the corner of Hereford Street and Glebe Point Road. A brief description of its extent is given in the Sydney Morning Herald of 1847 as follows: "\A detached cottage, 5 rooms, outhouses, servants rooms, etc. with upwards 5 acres grounds in cultivation with fruit trees of all descriptions. A plentiful supply of water."
Mr. Pollard’s residence was located on what is now the corner of Pyrmont Bridge Road and Ross Street, the site of the present Forest Lodge Public School.

Between 1856-71 The Forest Lodge Estate was beginning to be built up with the introduction of terrace housing as a popular form of cheap and relatively high density housing. The terrace form became the hallmark of this era through to the mid 1880s.

An important family of two generations of architects that lived and did work in the Forest Lodge/ Hereford area was the Reuss family. This consisted of Ferdinand Hamilton Reuss snr. and jnr. and later joined by Edward Roland Halloran (1844-1919) who married Adeline Burgess Reuss, daughter of F.H. Reuss snr. Both Reuss snr. and jnr. did a reasonable amount of work in Glebe, mainly in the Hereford Estate and at Glebe Point. Reuss snr. had a more formal training in civil engineering, surveying and architecture in England and experience in America. Like many before him he had travelled to Australia to seek his fortune in the Victorian Goldfields and on becoming disillusioned on the easy fortune gained and lost in the goldminer’s life, he travelled to Sydney to practice his known engineering and building knowledge. He was to be known generally more for his engineering and surveying ability rather than architecture. His contribution to surveying in N.S.W. led him to be called the father of surveying in the city of Sydney. Practice in this profession was established by Reuss snr. in London prior to his travels to Germany, America, Melbourne and finally Sydney in 1853, where he was to stay until his death at his residence “the Hermitage” Pyrmont Bridge Road in 1896. Reuss snr. had quite an impact on that area of land situated at what is now the junction of Pyrmont Bridge Road and Woolley Streets; roughly corresponding to the original "road to the ponds" of the Hereford Estate in the 1840s. In this area on two parcels of land purchased in 1864 on either side of Bridge Road he constructed six houses all of which were probably designed by him. Between 1865 and 1870 he had invited tenders for a total of two houses and four brick cottages plus "out houses" on Pyrmont Bridge Road and these probably refer to the six he was known to own. These being; "The Hermitage", (his own residence 1866-1896) "Hamilton", "Alma Villa", "Reussdale", on the south side and two single storey cottages on the north side. A street to the south of "Reussdale" and "The Hermitage" was named Reuss Street. F.H. Reuss jnr. was born 1844 and later married at St. Barnabas Church in 1868 and carried on the profession as established by his father. In 1871 "Alma Cottage" became the residence of F.H. Reuss jnr. until 1876 when he moved into Glebe Point Road. "Alma Villa" was demolished in 1927 when the Presbyterian Church was moved to that site from a site at the junction of Glebe Point Road and Parramatta Road.

Another local association was set up in the form of G.W. Durrell, an architect of Glebe, who designed houses in and around Forest Lodge. A brief reference to him and Thornley is made in the following: ".the youngest associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects recently admitted is Mr. G.W. Durrell, the only son of Mr. G.L. Durrell of Forest Lodge, He is also the second successful associate from N.S.W. Mr. Durrell who serve articles with Mr. Thornley of York Street, returned to the colony by the 'Ormuz' and will practice in Sydney."

In 1875, Hereford House was again sold, and by this time the grounds had been reduced to 1.5 acres. The last private owner of Hereford House was William Wilkinson. Following Wilkinsons death in 1908, the Crown aquired the Estate and established a teachers college. Hereford House was demolished in the mid 1930s when the municipal rest park (now Foley Park) was established.

‘Forest Lodge’ stood until 1912 when the executors of the estate of Dr William John Munro who died in 1908, demolished the house and built a terrace of houses and a terrace of shops on the site.

Among the later development in the precinct was the Rosebank Estate Subdivision 1899, with lots fronting Rosebank Street and Glebe Point Road, the Benledi Subdivision along Hereford Street and Glebe Point Road, for Auction sale 1900, and Gibson’s Subdivision of 1904 lots fronting James Avenue and Hereford Street.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Migration-Activities and processes associated with the resettling of people from one place to another (international, interstate, intrastate) and the impacts of such movements Recreation; European Settlement-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Hereford and Forest Lodge Conservation Area has historic significance for its
- rare surviving early residential development Swiss Cottages (c. 1842), Glenwood
(c. 1837)
- ability to evidence early villa estates; Hereford (c. 1829), Rosebank (c. 1832) and Forest Lodge (c. 1836) and their incremental subdivision.
- piecemeal subdivisions following demolition of early residences along Bridge Road:
Albion Cottage (c. 1838)
Enfield House (c. 1843)
Oak Lodge (c. 1837)
Willow Lodge (c. 1845)
Kayuga (c. 1857)
- residential development encouraged by the tram extension in Hereford/ Forest Lodge
- varied character of historic subdivisions, divided by the historic and aesthetically important Bridge Road.
- predominant Victorian character, supported by several other important historic layers.
- diverse social mix that is reflected in the building stock and inherent to the character of the suburb.
- survival of early working class cottages
- important civic and institutional buildings such as St James' Church and School, Forest Lodge Public School, and Glebe Town Hall that have been in existence for over 100 years. The Town Hall on St Johns Road Bishopthorpe provides evidences of the incorporation of the Municipality of Glebe in 1859.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The conservation area has historic association significance for its association with important local architects Ferdinand H Reuss Snr and Jnr, and GW Durrell.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Hereford and ForestLodge Conservation Area has aesthetic significance for its landscape qualities, its ability to illustrate various periods of development and architectural styles and building types and for its wide variety of attached and detached housing (some of a very early date).

The area contains a number of aesthetically significant and prominent buildings such as the Glebe Town Hall, Glebe Fire Station, St James’ Church, the former Glebe Presbyterian Church as well as a number of villas particularly in Bridge Road such as Reussdale.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The area is held in high esteem by the local community. Particular sites have high significance for identifiable groups including St James' Church and School, Forest Lodge Public School and Nag's Head Hotel.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The Hereford and Forest Lodge Conservation Area has rarity significance for its survival of early 1860s residential development so close to the city centre.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The conservation area is representative of the expansion of Glebe and Forest Lodge during the 19th and early 20th century as evidenced by residential, commercial, institutional and industrial development.
Integrity/Intactness: The area has a moderate degree of integrity. Individual sites have varying degrees of intactness.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

RECOGNITION OF THE FOLLOWING HISTORICAL LAYERS (a) Victorian / Federation Development - These form the character of Glebe - The lack of visible additions provides a high level of integrity - Single storey weatherboard and stone cottages contribute to an understanding of the history of Glebe - Remnants of early villas contribute to an understanding of the history of Glebe (b) Inter -war Units and Warehouses - Buildings of the early twentieth century usually have an appropriate scale and are therefore neutral elements - Some buildings may contribute to the significance of the area and are therefore contributing elements - Inter-war development provides a greater range of finishes, greater extent of solid façade and recessed balconies which provide more wall façade. - Inter-war development provides hierarchical composition to centre, base, middle and top and a stepped skyline - Associated planting lessens visual impact of Inter-war development (c) Post -war Units and Warehouses - Post-war Units and warehouses have a major impact which needs to be minimised - The impact results from uncharacteristic scale, large extent of glass, open balconies and face brick finishes - Minimal setbacks for building height - Car parking often to the front of the unit - Lack of trees to lessen visual impact - Opportunities exist to improve their character during renovations PROTECTION OF SIGNIFICANCE (a) Protect Subdivision Pattern - Retain Victorian and Federation subdivisions - Do not allow amalgamation of sites within these important subdivisions (b) Protect Key Period Significant (Contributory) Development and Settings - Retain early villas - Retain evidence of early villas - Retain 1 Storey Cottages - Retain 1-2-3 Storey Victorian / Federation terraces - Retain Victorian / Federation Public Buildings - Retain Victorian / Federation Retail Strip - Retain Victorian / Federation Shop/Hotel - Retain rubble retaining wall - Retain significant corner buildings - Retain and enhance the collective value of terraces - Retain Scale - Maintain building alignments - Retain pattern of forms - Retain finishes and details - Reinstate verandahs, front fences and lost detail (c) Protect Other Significant Development Overlays - Retain Inter-war residential development - Retain Inter-war factories / warehouse - Retain Inter-war shop / hotel / cinema ENHANCE SIGNIFICANCE (a) Redevelopment of Detracting Sites - Encourage appropriate replacement development on detracting sites - Prepare policy for development of former industrial sites - Encourage screening (landscape and architectural) to flats by appropriate policy - Encourage reinterpretation of Victorian Subdivision in the vicinity - Respect building line, scale, form and roof pitch of significant development in the vicinity - Encourage rendered and painted finishes - Encourage an appropriate level of decorative contemporary detail - Provide landscape screening (b) Enhance Significance of Area - Establish/maintain and enhance street planting to unify streetscapes - Encourage render/paint finishes to detracting developments - Remove / discourage reproduction of Victorian detail in contemporary development - Interpret villa estates - Enhance vistas - Provide landscape screening to detracting sites - Promote public buildings - Promote retail strip - Promote articles on improvements within Glebe SPECIFIC POLICIES (a) Retail Development - Protect and reveal the history of Glebe Point Road and St Johns Road - Maintain landscape components - Reveal original fabric. Remove non original features, particularly if they conceal original detail. - Restore detail to evidence - Reconstruct new shopfronts modelled on surviving original shopfronts in the street and derived from on-site evidence. In particular original splayed recessed entrances. - Retain shopfront prior to 1910 (generally timber) incorporating splayed recessed entrances; shopfronts - Retain shopfronts c.1910-1940s (generally incorporate use of tiles and metal shopfittings). - Coordinate signage - Discourage large retail chains - Encourage appropriate retail anchors - Coordinate and promote retail precincts (b) Residential Development in Intact Streetscapes - Encourage recovery of the original character during renovations and building upgrade - No visible additions that impact on the existing character - No dormers to street frontage - Original fencing should be retained - New fencing should be appropriate to the period - Encourage open palisade and picket fences which reinforce the original character of the house and the streetscape - Encourage open fences which enhance the garden setting of Glebe. - Encourage removal of security screens to window which detract from the streetscape (c) Rear Development - Identify, retain and protect consistent rear forms - Retain and protect consistent skillions which provide a rear lane character - Encourage Victorian style dormers which have less impact to the rear - Control changes to the established character of a terrace group - Encourage a new consistent rear layer to reinforce the collective terrace character - Do not exceed the existing built scale - Encourage low impact single storey additions - Discourage visible two-storey additions (d) Development of Rear Lanes - Identify and protect surviving stables and early structures which contribute to the historic significance of the area - Retain the predominant one storey scale - Retain landscaped character - Retain small structures, timber paling fences and greenery of rear gardens which contribute to the landscape character - Retain consistent patterns of lane development comprising original outbuilding and fences - Do not allow new second storey development to any lanes - Link lane landscaping within the linear street park network (e) Car Parking - Maintain the garden setting to Victorian streetscapes - No car parking and car parking access from Victorian streetscapes - Reduce the impact of existing basement garages that have occurred in some streets by consistency of finish and detail and front yard landscaping - Reduce the impact of below ground garages by narrowing garage door, garage lighting screening, providing appropriate gates and doors and providing landscape screening - Generally allow parking access from rear lanes. - No two-storey garages to rear lane boundary alignment - Encourage lower scale paling fences, carstand and open carport structures (f) Street Parking - Incorporate street trees. - Do not alter street alignment. (g) Landscaping - Retain the high percentage of landscaping which contributes to the character of Glebe - Retain street trees and large front gardens which are important components - Coordinate all landscaping which will reinforce the garden setting of Glebe - Coordinate street pocket parks - Encourage trees at the end of streets to reinforce landscape vistas and frame views - Encourage trees to screen detracting development, particularly post war units - Encourage trees to interface with large sites: the former hospital - Encourage trees to provide visual consistency in inconsistent streetscapes - Narrow streets could be enhanced by street trees where historically appropriate (h) View Protection - Protect the close and distant views which are important to the character of Glebe - Reinforce street end vistas with street trees • Screen street end vistas to large development which detract from the character RECOMMENDATIONS (a) Boundary Adjustment Adjust Conservation Area boundary to reflect extent of original 1828 subdivision (Lots 25 and 26) and the later Hereford House and Forest Lodge Estates. (b) Potential heritage items St Barnabas Rectory, 35 Arundle Street, Glebe St James' Hall, 153 Bridge Road c 1880, part of the St James' Church group

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012C3314 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Glebe Conservation Area Study2007 Architectural Projects  Yes
Leichhardt Municpal Heritage Study1990 McDonald McPhee P/L  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City View detail
WrittenBurton, Craig Housing The Glebe
WrittenMacDonnell, Freda1975The Glebe: Portraits and Places
WrittenSmith, Bernard & Kate The Architectural Character of Glebe, Sydney

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427756


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.