Toxteth Hotel Including Interior | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Toxteth Hotel Including Interior

Item details

Name of item: Toxteth Hotel Including Interior
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Hotel
Primary address: 345 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
345 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address
343-345 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Alternate Address
Ferry RoadGlebeSydney  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The Toxteth Hotel is an Inter-war Free Classical style corner building that is essential to character of Glebe Point Road. It makes a positive contribution to a predominantly Federation period retail strip.
Date significance updated: 30 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A two-storey Inter-war Free Classical style building set on a wide corner and built to the street alignment. The façade presents a simple symmetrical elevation to both streets with a splay corner and a central stepped pedimented section and is constructed of rendered brick on a rendered masonry base course. Below the pediment on Glebe Point Road elevation is a recessed balcony with wrought iron balustrade, whilst on Ferry Road there is a similar wrought iron balsutrade set in front of a pair of windows. The façade is embellished by an elaborate treatment of the pedimented parapet, as well as by string coursing and panels. The first floor has vertically proportioned timber windows. Most of the ground floor openings have been altered over time.

The main roof at the corner of Glebe Point Road and Ferry Road is is parapeted with a low pitch, and features chimneys, whilst the side wing fronting Ferry Road is pitched and clad with terracotta tiles.

The box awning runs across the façade of the parapeted section of the building, has pressed metal lining to the soffit and is supported by rods fixed to metal medallion plates.

Internally the ground floor has been substantially modified over time. The only surviving significant internal fabric is in the intact entry foyer off Ferry Road which includes timber joinery (the timber stair to the first floor, skirtings, architraves) and ceiling, as well as chimney breast on the end wall of the lounge that faces Ferry Lane.

There is a single storey addition on the Glebe Point Road elevation that houses a bottle shop.

At the rear there is a roofed courtyard,an acoustic screen wall and steel stair to the first floor from the courtyard which were constructed in 2011.

Towards the Glebe Point Road end of the first floor, the original room layout survives as well as some significant fabric including high waisted doors, timber architraves, skirtings, picture rails, fire places and remnant ceilings.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:30 Jan 12
Modifications and dates: Most of the openings at ground floor level have been altered over time.

The ground floor level has been substantailly modified over time.

A single storey addition to the north of the original buidling on the Glebe Point Road elevation has been constructed which houses a bottle shop.

2011 - alterations and additions at the rear, including a roofed courtyard, an acoustic screen wall and steel stair to the first floor from the courtyard.
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Hotel
Former use: Hotel

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. )

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 "to relieve the pressing needs of clergy", Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. The Glebe point precinct comprises 4 lots from the 1828 subdivision of the Glebe. Lot 1 was acquired by AB Spark, lot 2 by Mr James and lots 3-4 by Captain Dumaresq.While several of these villas were demolished at the time of these subdivisions, most survived on reduced lots, often as boarding houses until the mid 20th century. Demolition of the villas from after WW11 until the 1970s made way for higher density post war flat development, encouraged by the Cumberland Plan.

The 1828 subdivision made allowance for in roads into the Glebe; Bay Road and Glebe Road (Glebe Point Road) were created by cutting through bush, pulling out stumps and ‘filling in the largest of the holes’. Glebe Point Rd, or alternatively known as the Glebe Rd, opened up in 1829 as the initial exploitive action in the form of a tract with fence either side. This basic line of communication cut into the then dense forest covering the Glebe with only bush tracks made by drays penetrating off the Glebe Rd to the individual estates. A main influencing factor on the character of the subdivided areas of Toxteth Park Estate was the covenant, issued on the death of George Allen, in that being a devout Wesleyan no alcohol was to be brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development, no commercial development, and that any building be constructed out of brick of stone or both. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe.

Kew Cottage built circa 1835, Forsyth Cottage (c. 1837) and Avon House (c. 1837) were early houses on Dumaresq’s land. Captain Dumaresq first subdivided his holdings as the Boissier Estate in 1840. Elmville (c.1844), Hawthorne (c.1844), Lynwood (c. 1851), Rothwell Lodge (c. 1847), Salem House (c. 1842), Bidura (c. 1857),) appeared on the Boissier subdivision.Further subdivisions and consolidation of Glebe Point occurred when the upper middle class vacated their grand villas for the suburbs in the late 19th century, with improvements in transport and the draw of the garden suburb, coupled with an increasingly industrial character to Blackwattle Bay with land reclamations. The Avona Estate was subdivided in 1899, the Strathmore Estate in 1894 and 1899. The Golden Estate and Glebe Heights Estate was subdivivded in 1908. This resulted in an overlay of speculative terrace development of a working class and middle class character, in the late Victorian and Federation styles.

343-345 Glebe Point Road dates from c.1925. This hotel replaced the first two residences of a row of seven houses which occupied the site in 1888 and were owned by J L Walker, built on a subdivision of the Lynedoch Estate. The hotel extension involved the demolition of three additional houses.The hotel was constructed in a style typical of the 1920s utilising striped classical detailing. The ground floor frontage has been entirely altered, as can be determined with early photograph taken in 1936.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Leisure-Activities associated with recreation and relaxation Hotel-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building provides evidence of the consolidation of the Lynedoch Estate in the early 20th Century.The building has historical significance for its ability to evidence hotel development in Glebe and for its lengthy tradition of continuous trade on this site since 1925 as the Toxteth Hotel.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Toxteth Hotel is an Inter-war Free Classical style corner building that is essential to character of Glebe Point Road. It makes a positive contribution to a predominantly Federation period retail strip.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Reflects the changing social mix of Glebe in the 1920s. It is significant as part of a network of purpose built hotels during the inter-war period which originally provided both a social recreational venue and budget accommodation near the city although the Toxteh Hotel no longer provides accomodation.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
A representative example of an Inter -war hotel Free Classical style corner building set within in a Federation period retail strip.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should continue to be included in the Heritage Schedule of the LEP as a heritage item and also be protected by the Conservation Area Listing. Original detailing is to be retained. Any further ground floor alterations should incorporate detailing which reflects the first floor architectural treatment. Surviving significant internal fabric, including the original detailing in the Ferry Street foyer, the main timber stair, as well as the original room layout and surviving fabric at the Glebe Point Road end of the first floor is to be retained. The Bottle Shop should be painted to coordinate with the Hotel and in the long term represented with detailing which accords with the hotel. Any external repainting of the buidling is to be in a colour scheme appropriate to the Inter-war period of the original building and its Free Classical style..

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I76214 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
 0    No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenBerchervaise & Associates Pty Ltd.1991Glebe Point Road Main Street Study, Stage Two

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427785


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.