House Including Interior and Front Fence | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

House Including Interior and Front Fence

Item details

Name of item: House Including Interior and Front Fence
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 405 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
405 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The building dates from one of the key period of layers for the development of Glebe as a direct result of the subdivision of the Strathmore Estate. It is a fine representative example of a Federation villa that contributes to the character and significance of Glebe Point Road and the Glebe conservation area as a whole.
Date significance updated: 23 Feb 05
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1901-1906
Physical description: A two-storey freestanding house that dates from the early Twentieth Century within the key period of significance, set on a wide site that has retained its context. The building is setback from the street. The site has an appropriate front fence of iron palisade on a rendered brick base approximately 1.4 metres high. The front garden is large and informally landscaped and provides an appropriate setting for the house.The façade presents a simple asymmetrical elevation and is constructed of rendered brick with a paint finish. The roof is gabled with a hipped bay and a steep pitch. It has broad eaves. The roof is clad in slate and features corbelled chimneys and terracotta ridge cresting. The veranda runs across the façade to the end bay and extends to the main roof and features cast iron columns, fringe and balustrading. The façade features classical motifs, strings course, brackets, plaster ornaments and vermiculated quoining. The front door is offset and features elaborate leadlights. Fenestration comprises vertically proportioned French doors at first floor and 2-pane double hung timber windows at ground level.The building appears to be in excellent condition and is highly intact. The building has a medium archaeological potential.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:23 Feb 05
Modifications and dates: c 1960s front and rear balconies enclosed
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With European Settlement in the Sydney region in 1788, the Cadigal and Wangal people were largely decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. However any evidence of traditional Aboriginal occupation in Glebe is unlikely to have survived the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 “to relieve the pressing needs of clergy”, Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. The Glebe point precinct comprises 4 lots from the 1828 subdivision of the Glebe. Lot 1 was acquired by AB Spark, lot 2 by Mr James and lots 3-4 by Captain Dumaresq.While several of these villas were demolished at the time of these subdivisions, most survived on reduced lots, often as boarding houses until the mid 20th century. Demolition of the villas from after WW11 until the 1970’s made way for higher density post war flat development, encouraged by the Cumberland Plan.

The 1828 subdivision made allowance for in roads into the Glebe; Bay Road and Glebe Road (Glebe Point Road) were created by cutting through bush, pulling out stumps and ‘filling in the largest of the holes’. Glebe Point Rd, or alternatively known as the Glebe Rd, opened up in 1829 as the initial exploitive action in the form of a tract with fence either side. This basic line of communication cut into the then dense forest covering the Glebe with only bush tracks made by drays penetrating off the Glebe Rd to the individual estates. A main influencing factor on the character of the subdivided areas of Toxteth Park Estate was the covenant, issued on the death of George Allen, in that being a devout Wesleyan no alcohol was to be brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development, no commercial development, and that any building be constructed out of brick of stone or both. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe.

Strathmore (c.1857), Maryville (c.1855), Llangollen (c. 1844), Margaretta Cottage (c. 1845) Sidcup (c.1868), Dellwood (c. 1872) and Bayview (c. 1873) were built on the Golden Estate, part of James’ Lot 2.Further subdivisions and consolidation of Glebe Point occurred when the upper middle class vacated their grand villas for the suburbs in the late 19th century, with improvements in transport and the draw of the garden suburb, coupled with an increasingly industrial character to Blackwattle Bay with land reclamations. The Avona Estate was subdivided in 1899, the Strathmore Estate in 1894 and 1899. The Golden Estate and Glebe Heights Estate was subdivided in 1908. This resulted in an overlay of speculative terrace development of a working class and middle class character, in the late Victorian and Federation styles.

No. 405 Glebe Point Road was originally part of Strathmore Estate which occupied the site of 399- 411 Glebe Point Road. The villa was erected c 1857 and demolished in the early 1950s. Rate Books indicate that Willliam Annear was in residence at 405 Glebe Point Road from 1906-1920 and John Annear until 1929. It was first listed in the Sands Directory of 1902 and occupied by William Annear.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Residential-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building has historical significance for its ability to evidence historical association with Interwar terrace development. The building's quality reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address. The building is significant for its contribution to the precinct.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The site has medium archaeological potential as an early twentieth century residence.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
A fine representational example of a grand residence of the Federation style.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be included in the Heritage Schedule of the LEP and should be protected by the Conservation Area Listing.All these buildings should be maintained in their original condition with original detailing reinstated where now missing. Careful restoration is recommended. Any future conversion to flats should avoid infilling of verandahs, and where this has already occurred, this should be reversed.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I77114 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Statement of Heritage Significance & Statement of Heritage Impact2019 Nigel Parsons & Associates Architects  No
Statement of Heritage Significance & Statement of Heritage Impact2019 Nigel Parsons & Associates Architects  No
Glebe Point Road Main Street Study Stage 21991 Bechervaise and Associates  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenBerchervaise & Associates Pty Ltd1991Glebe Point Road Main Street Study, Stage Two
WrittenFelicia Whiting2005Heritage Impact Assessment: 405 Glebe Point Road Glebe DA Approval additiosn and alterations

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427792


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.