House including interior and front fence | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

House including interior and front fence

Item details

Name of item: House including interior and front fence
Other name/s: Wentworth
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 24 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
24 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The house, Wentworth, at 24 Glebe Point Road is of aesthetic significance as an outstanding example of a grand Federation Queen Anne style residence in a Victorian streetscape that is rare in its precinct. The site and building provides evidence of Bishopthorpe Estate. The building has historical significance for its ability to evidence the later Federation development of Glebe Point Road. The building's quality reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a major street.
Date significance updated: 12 Dec 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1900-1901
Physical description: A two-storey Federation Queen Anne style attached grand residence, set on a wide site that has retained its context. The building is setback from the street. The front garden is large within its context and landscaped and features a central tessellated tiled path, hedging and provides and appropriate setting for the house. The façade presents a complex asymmetrical elevation and is constructed of face brick with stone banding on a stone base course. The roof is gabled with a steep pitch, and has exposed eaves. The main part of the roof is clad in concrete tiles and features a hexagonal turret with obelisk detail finishes. The rear roof plane of the roof over the main part of the house as well as the roof of the rear wing is clad in corrugated metal sheeting.

The front verandah is offset and has a gablet and roof clad in concrete tiles. It features turned timber columns and carved timber brackets, balustrade and valance. The façade has a hexagonal projecting bay with recessed roughcast panels. The front door is centrally located and is two-panelled with art nouveau glazing. Fenestration comprises vertically proportioned double hung timber windows with projecting brick sills.

Internally the layout of the main part of the house comprises the main four rooms about the central hall on the ground floor and first floor level with central landings connecting to the rear wing.

The main part of the house is largely intact and significant features include:

• Hall arches and associated mouldings on the eastern arches of the ground floor
• The main timber stair with associated timber balustrade and pressed metal linings
• Marble fire place surrounds in the ground floor rooms and timber fire place surrounds on the first floor, with iron fireplace grates
• Pressed metal ceilings and trims including ceiling roses and ornate cornices
• Timber joinery including the wide panelled bi-fold doors between the front two rooms on the ground floor, timber skirtings, picture rails, timber panelled doors and architraves

Whilst the two storey rear wing has undergone some changes, particularly to some of the openings, there are some surviving simply detailed pressed metal ceilings with simple coved cornices and ceiling roses, and original four panelled doors, architraves and skirtings.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building appears to be in good condition and is highly intact.
Date condition updated:18 Sep 06
Modifications and dates: Alterations include fencing and gable end detail. The site has an inappropriate front fence of reproduction palisade approximately 1.5 metres high. The front roof plane of the main part of the house has been reclad in concrete tiles.
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential, dental/medical practice

History

Historical notes: Historical Overview

The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today.

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789. In 1828 "to relieve the pressing needs of clergy", Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. Lot 28 was set apart for the residence of the Archdeacon and all revenue derived from the area retained for the Church and School Corporation "to and for the personal use and occupation of the Archdeacon of New South Wales and his successors forever". It was first known as the Archdeaconry. When in 1836 Dr WG Broughton was consecrated Bishop of Australia, the Archdeaconry became known as the Bishopthorpe Estate. This portion of Glebe was a part of the Parish of Christ Church St. Lawrence.

In 1856 Bishopthorpe was divided into 238 allotments and offered on 99-year leases. "The subdivision has been on the most liberal scale, the streets being of the full proclaimed width of 66 ft with lanes 16.5 ft wide. The allotments all have 40 ft frontages by depths averaging about 120 ft, thus affording ample space for good improvements and a plot of garden ground for each. The situation is a most desirable one close to the city boundary but exempt from taxes and enjoying consistent communication with all parts of the city." The Bishopthorpe leases required all buildings to be constructed either of stone or brick. Other conditions prohibited the erection of more than two dwellings on an allotment and required buildings to face the main roads. No restrictions, however, were placed on the use to which buildings could be put. Corner shops accompanied the development of Bishopthorpe, and became an integral part of domestic retailing, providing basic necessities to customers who lived nearby. An array of retail shops stretched along Glebe Point Road from Broadway to St Johns Road, and within these estates could be found bakeries, blacksmith’s shops, iron foundries, Sharp Brothers cordial factory, the Waratah Stove works and Conlon’s pottery in Broughton Street.

By the early 1960s many of the leases dating from the subdivisions of the mid-nineteenth century had expired and reverted to the Church. In 1971, the Church decided to sell of these holdings. The estate was purchased by the Commonwealth Government on 12 August 1974. for $17.4 million, 723 properties used as family dwellings and 27 commercial properties. (125 Glebe Estate properties had been sold prior to Commonwealth acquisition. )

The 1828 subdivision made allowance for in roads into the Glebe; Bay Road and Glebe Road (Glebe Point Road) were created by cutting through bush, pulling out stumps and ‘filling in the largest of the holes’. Glebe Point Rd, or alternatively known as the Glebe Rd, opened up in 1829 as the initial exploitive action in the form of a tract with fence either side. This basic line of communication cut into the then dense forest covering the Glebe with only bush tracks made by drays penetrating off the Glebe Rd to the individual estates. Through the 1860’s to 1890’s the development of the church owned St Phillip’s and Bishopthorpe Estates either side of Glebe Point Road generated a need for greater commercial development. The passing omnibus (and later tram) trade provide added incentive allotments along Glebe Point Road were developed for commercial and residential use. The tramway service along Glebe Point Road to the Point was opened in 1892 using steam tram motors and trailer cars. It was the first western suburbs line to be converted to electric operation in 1900 and it used power from the Ultimo Powerhouse. A six-minute service was provided on weekdays, increasing to four minutes during peak hours and on Saturday evenings. Trams ran every 15 minutes on Sunday mornings, and at six-minute intervals for the rest of the day. The city terminus of the Glebe Point service was Millers Point, located to the west of Circular Quay. Services continued until 23 November 1958, when buses replaced the then "unfashionable trams" as a method of public transport. Old tram lines still exist under the surface of Glebe Point Road.

Glebe Road passed out of Church ownership by virtue of the St Phillip’s Glebe Sale Ordinance 1972.

Site History ( Based on Architectural Projects 2007 and Perumal Murphy Alessi 2013)

It would appear that the site had been developed by the 1880s. A Sydney Water Detail Plan of 1887-1888 shows the outline of buildings on the site. The Sydney Sands Directory lists a Miss Lucy Marshall, a cab proprietor, at No 24 Glebe Point Road from the 1880s until 1901.

It is assumed that the subject building, first listed as Wentworth in 1902, was constructed c 1900-1901. The style of the building confirms this date. The house was first occupied by Charles Chandler, dentist. The Chandler family were also occupants of 14/14A Glebe Point Road. The Sands Directory indicates that the house was used for both residential and possibly commercial purposes from the time of its construction and it continued to be leased and occupied by various dentists, physicians, surgeons and individuals until the last listing in the 1932/33 edition.

A 1952 Sydney Water plan shows the outline of the building very much as it is today except for a small detached outbuilding behind the building and a weatherboard building adjoining the rear lane.

Land title documents indicate that the subject site was occupied by weekly tenants of the Glebe Administration Board until the 1970s when the Church decided to sell the Glebe land. In a transfer dated August 1979, the subject site, Lot 29 of Section 7 of the Bishopthorpe Estate was purchased by Helena James of Glebe. The site has subsequently been transferred several times and appears to have been leased to various tenants.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Residential-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Bishopthorpe Estate-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building provides evidence of Bishopthorpe Estate. The building has historical significance for its ability to evidence the later Federation development of Glebe Point Road. The building's quality reflect the development of Glebe Point Road as a major street.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Wentworth is an outstanding example of a grand Federation Queen Anne style residence in a Victorian streetscape that is rare in its precinct.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The building is a locally rare, high quality, example of a highly intact original residential exterior and interior of high quality design with outstanding potential to be restored with minimum effort.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative example of a grand Federation Queen Anne style residence found in inner Sydney.
Integrity/Intactness: This item has high integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be included in the Heritage Schedule of the LEP and should be protected. Subdivision should not occur. Consolidation of sites should not occur. The existing use of the site should continue. No alteration to the original or significant fabric should occur. Sympathetic additions could occur at the rear of the building. Appropriate fencing and landscaping should be incorporated including planting some large trees. The concrete tiled roof cladding of the main part of the roof should be replaced with more appropriate cladding such as slate or terracotta tiles.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney Local Environmental Plan 2012I68814 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Statement of Heritage Significance & Statement of Heritage Impact2019 Nigel Parsons & Associates Architects  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City View detail
WrittenBerchervaise & Associates1991Glebe Point Road Main Street Study Stage 2
WrittenPerumal Murphy Alessi2013Statement of Heritage Impact - 24 Glebe Point Road Glebe

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427800


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.