Cottage Group Including Interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Cottage Group Including Interiors

Item details

Name of item: Cottage Group Including Interiors
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Cottage
Primary address: 150-158 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
150-158 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The cottages are of aesthetic significance as the buildings exhibit variations on a theme evident in Federation period, arts & crafts style. One of the first groups of terraced cottages to be built wholly in Federation style. Of historical significance as representative buildings within the Hereford and Forest Lodge Estate.
Date significance updated: 22 May 07
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A one-storey attached terrace that is part of a group and that dates from the Federation period within the key period of significance, set on an average site that has retained its context. The buildings are setback from the street. Same sites retain an appropriate front fence of iron palisade on a brick plinth. The front garden is informally landscaped and features an offset path and provides an appropriate setting for the house.The façade presents a complex asymmetrical elevation and is constructed of face brick. The roof is gabled and hipped with a steep pitch, and has broad eaves. The roof is clad in terracotta tile and features barge boards. The verandah runs across the façade and has a straight profile which continues to the roof. It is clad in terracotta tile and features timber columns and carved timber. The front door is offset. Fenestration comprises vertically proportioned double hung timber windows. The building appears to be in good condition and is highly intact. Alterations include painting side wall and brick fences to the street.
Date condition updated:15 May 03
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.

(Information sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/barani )

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 “to relieve the pressing needs of clergy”, Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. Lot 25 was bid for by AK Mackenzie but not purchased until 1830 by FW Unwin.George Williams purchased lot 26 in 1828 and commissioned Edward Hallen to design Hereford House, named after Williams birthplace. Williams died in 1832, never having lived at Glebe. Hereford House was transferred to Ambrose Foss in 1833. John Verge made improvements to the house in 1832 and 1834. The property did not stay long in any one family, selling to William Hirst in 1837, to George Rogers in 1844, and to Thomas Woolley in1847. A plan dated 1845 of the area indicates “Swiss Cottages” on the corner of Glebe Point Road and Pyrmont Bridge Road. Mr O’Reilly’s residence as indicated on the 1845 map was placed on a lot of land at what now is the corner of Hereford Street and Glebe Point Road. A brief description of its extent is given in the Sydney Morning Herald of 1847 as follows: “A detached cottage, 5 rooms, outhouses, servants rooms, etc. with upwards 5 acres grounds in cultivation with fruit trees of all descriptions. A plentiful supply of water.” In 1875, Hereford House was again sold, and by this time the grounds had been reduced to 1.5 acres. The last private owner of Hereford House was William Wilkinson. Following Wilkinsons death in 1908, the Crown aquired the Estate and established a teachers college. Hereford House was demolished in the mid 1930’s when the municipal rest park (now Foley Park) was established.

150-158 Glebe Point Road dates from 1904. 150-158 Glebe Point Road was first listed in the Sands Directory of 1904 and was occupied by Patrick Fagan, James A Gilbert, AF Jarrett, Walter A Moore and James Nicholls respectively. The group were then named ‘Sparna’ (150 Glebe Point Road), ‘Alva’ (152 Glebe Point Road), ‘Kareela’ (154 Glebe Point Road), ‘Kanitra’ (156 Glebe Point Road) and ‘Romala’ (158 Glebe Point Road).

One of the first groups of terraced cottages to be built wholly in Federation style. Here the move from Italianate elaboration to Federation simplicity is complete. The use of rough-cast work in gables and chimneys, of pickets and fretted wood for verandah balustrades, and of simple curves in the valance boards. Is evidence of a desire to return to colonial simplicity – and even colonial details – after the elaboration of the Italianate.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Residential-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building provides evidence of Hereford and Forest Lodge Estate.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
One of the first groups of terraced cottages to be built wholly in Federation style. The group exhibits variations on a theme evident in the Federation period, arts and crafts style.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative of Federation residential development in Glebe.
Integrity/Intactness: Medium
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be included in the Heritage Schedule of the LEP and should be protected. Subdivision should not occur. Consolidation of sites shoud not occur. The existing residential use of the sites should continue. One-storey additions could occur at the rear of the building. Appropriate fencing and landscaping should be incorporated. Reinstatement of original detailing where this has been removed is recommended, particularly roof gablet treatment. A colour scheme which picks out timber detailing and verandah timber fret work would enhance this frontage. Long term appropriate fence reinstatement is recommended to unify this frontage.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I72814 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Statement of Heritage Significance & Statement of Heritage Impact2019 Nigel Parsons & Associates Architects  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenSmith, Bernard and Kate1989The Architectural Character of Glebe, Sydney,

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427822


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.