Terrace Group Including Interiors, Front Fencing and Front Gardens | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terrace Group Including Interiors, Front Fencing and Front Gardens

Item details

Name of item: Terrace Group Including Interiors, Front Fencing and Front Gardens
Other name/s: ‘Narellan’, Melcombe/Dorchen’, ‘Caerlcon/The Wurrie’, ‘Dareen’ and ‘Akarana'
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 198-214 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
198-214 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

An outstanding group of late Victorian Italianate terraces with garden settings in a Victorian streetscape that is outstanding in its precinct and contributes to the streetscape. The buildings are an unusual group of Victorian terrace houses designed to appear as a row of villas. The site and building provides evidence of the early subdivision and development of theToxteth Estate. The buildings have historical associations with John Kirkpatrick.
Date significance updated: 19 Feb 09
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: John Kirkpatrick
Construction years: 1881-1884
Physical description: Two storey attached and semi-attached terraces that are part of a group that dates from the Victorian period within the key period of significance, set on a site that has largely retained its context despite the detracting Haven Inn attached at no.196. The buildings are setback from the street. The sites have an appropriate front fence of iron palisade approximately 1.5 metres high. The front gardens are large and landscaped (except at 198) and feature offset paths that provide appropriate settings for the houses.The façade presents a complex asymmetrical elevation and is constructed of rendered masonry on a rendered masonry base course. The roof is hipped with a medium pitch, and has boxed eaves. The roof is clad in corrugated sheet metal and features corbelled chimneys and terracotta chimney pots. The verandah is offset and has a concave profile. It is clad in corrugated sheet metal and features cast iron columns, cast iron brackets and balustrading as well as tessellated tiles. The façade features bay windows, crotchet decoration, course moulded plaster ornament, label moulds. The front doors are offset within each property, marked by a portico and are 5-panelled and glazed with fanlights. Fenestration comprises vertically proportioned French doors, double hung timber windows with rendered sills.Each terrace has two storey gabled rear wings.

There is a strong rhythm of rear wings being separated by light wells. Beyond the line of the gables, at Nos 200 and 202 there have been two storey rear additions, with a lower skillion roof which has retained the visibility of the gable from the lane.

The terrace row has single storey scale structures fronting Church Lane including boundary walls, roller doors and garages.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The buildings appear to be in fair condition and substantially intact.
Date condition updated:10 Jul 07
Modifications and dates: Alterations include veranda infill (no. 200), security grills, a loss of detail at no. 202, solid core doors (no. 198), dividing fences (brick/timber/picket) which all should be palisade.
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Primarily residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. .

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today.

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 “to relieve the pressing needs of clergy”, Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. The Toxteth Estate comprises 4 lots from the 1828 subdivision of the Glebe. Lot 21 was acquired by AB Spark, and lots 22-24 were acquired by George Allen.Toxteth Park was built for George Allen in 1831, to the design of John Verge. Toxteth Park house consisted of a rectangular two-storey block with single-storey wings and a stone-flagged verandah which was laid around two sides of the house. Set at right angles, behind the main building, and facing a large paved courtyard, were the kitchen and servants’ quarters. Shortly after the completion of the house the Sydney Gazette described its ‘spacious garden, containing some hundreds of the choicest trees- and a tract of forest land capable of being converted into the most romantic pleasure grounds’. On George Allen’s death in 1877, George Wigram Allen, his son, moved into “Toxteth House” but not before making extensive alterations to the principal buildings of the estate under the superintendence of G.A. Mansfield somewhere between 1877 and 1881. This action must have had a large impact on the popular builders of the adjacent estates, for, the greater part of the Allen estate seems to have been sub-divided and built up from the early 1880s to the early 1900s employing the Italianate and elaborate variations of it during the 1880s and 1890s, while the late 1890s and 1900s came under the influence of a “Federation” style. George Allen, in his will, decreed that only private dwelling houses be built on the future subdivision of the estate, and that they be constructed out of either brick or stone. Being a devout Wesleyan, Allens covenant prevented alcohol being brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe. George Wigram Allen died in 1885. Subdivision of Toxteth Park had commenced in earnest in 1884 with 88 building sites offered for sale. In 1886, Mills & Pile offered forty-five allotments for sale in Wigram Road, measuring for the most part, twenty-five feet to thirty feet. One hundred and thirty-four ‘choice villa sites’ were offered in Boyce Street, Ross Street and Toxteth Road.

The 1828 subdivision made allowance for in roads into the Glebe; Bay Road and Glebe Road (Glebe Point Road) were created by cutting through bush, pulling out stumps and ‘filling in the largest of the holes’. Glebe Point Rd, or alternatively known as the Glebe Rd, opened up in 1829 as the initial exploitive action in the form of a tract with fence either side. This basic line of communication cut into the then dense forest covering the Glebe with only bush tracks made by drays penetrating off the Glebe Rd to the individual estates. A main influencing factor on the character of the subdivided areas of Toxteth Park Estate was the covenant, issued on the death of George Allen, in that being a devout Wesleyan no alcohol was to be brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development, no commercial development, and that any building be constructed out of brick of stone or both. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe.

196-214 Glebe Point Road is a terrace of twelve semi-detatched villas by John Kirkpatrick c 1880-81. The group was first listed in the Sands Directory of 1884 and occupied by Albert N Jonson, William Trotter, Samuel Samper, John Riley, John O’Connor, Arthur Anderson, Duncan McLean, Phillip Davies, John Melliday and Alfred Nathan respectively. The building was then known as ‘Haviland’ (now demolished for the Haven Inn ), ‘Narellan’, Melcombe/Dorchen’, ‘Caerlcon/The Wurrie’, ‘Dareen’ and ‘Akarana’ respectively. They are visible on the 1888 map and on mant plans for the Toxteth Park Estate. The bay type seeks to maintain something of the appearance of a semi-detached house. The important features of the normal Italianate terrace – parapet and party wall – are not here in evidence. Articulation is achieved instead by the alternation of flat and faceted bay windows, surmounted by cast-iron balconies. The visual effect sought here was not so much that of a terrace as of semi-detached houses. The erection at the same time of the group of houses one block further along the road (the doctors' houses) that were semi-detached, may have influenced the designer in this case to stress the separateness of each apartment by alternating two types of bay window.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Residential-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building provides evidence of the early subdivision and development of theToxteth Estate.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The buildings have historical associations with John Kirkpatrick.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item has group values. An outstanding group of late Victorian Italianate terraces with garden settings in a Victorian streetscape that is outstanding in its precinct and contributes to the streetscape.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
An unusual group of Victorian terrace houses designed to appear as a row of villas.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The group is representative of the high quality residential development that occurred in the early subdivision of the Toxteth Estate.
Integrity/Intactness: High / Medium
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should remain listed in the Heritage Schedule of the LEP and should be protected by the Conservation Area Listing. Subdivision should not occur. Consolidation of sites should not occur. The original use of some terraces has changed to residential/commercial but should change to just residential. Additions could occur at the rear of the building. Appropriate palisade should be incorporated when missing. The retaining wall at street alignment should be set back to allow palisade on sheet. Limit the size of signage (professional plaques are permitted). No garden structures. Any alterations or developments to this frontage should involve the process of restoration and reinstatement of original building elements. The removal of the brick front addition to 208 is seen as a high priority to reinstate the consistent streetscape frontage. Consideration should be given to garden landscaping with careful selection of species and a formal layout. The use of heritage based colour schemes is recommended for any future repainting of these residences. With any additions or alterations to the rear the strong rhythm of rear wings with gabled ends being separated by light wells, is to be retained. This to include the end gables which are to remain visible from the lane. There are to be no first floor additions over the light wells.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I73914 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Statement of Heritage Significance & Statement of Heritage Impact2019 Nigel Parsons & Associates Architects  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenBerchervaise & Associates1991Main Street Study
WrittenCraig Burton1979Housing the Glebe
WrittenSmith, Bernard and Kate1989The Architectural Character of Glebe, Sydney,

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427828


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.