House "Monteith" Including Interior, Front Fence and Front Gardern | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

House "Monteith" Including Interior, Front Fence and Front Gardern

Item details

Name of item: House "Monteith" Including Interior, Front Fence and Front Gardern
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 266 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
266 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Montiethhas historical significance as an early Federation development on the Toxteth Estate. The building's quality reflect the development of Glebe Point Road as a major street, transport node and prestige address. It reflects the importance of the Allen family in shaping the area.

The building has historical associative significance for its association with Australian cricketer Tibby Cotter, association with the Cotter family and later the NSW College of the Arts.

Monteith is a rare and outstanding example of a highly intact original Italianate Federation residence of high quality design, within a garden setting that is rare in its precinct and contributes to the streetscape. The building is significant for its contribution to the streetscape as a landmark. Reflects the social importance in late nineteenth century Sydney of English cultural references.

"The house Monteith and surviving grounds are significant both of historically and socially for associations with the Cotter family especially Australian cricketer "Tibby" Cotter and later from 1971 as part of the site of the NSW College of Nursing, and the NSW College of the Arts until 1995. It also has historic significance as a remaining one of a number of fine mansion houses along this part of Glebe Point Road. It has aesthetic significance as a fine example of its style and for the contribution it and its grounds make to the streetscape of Glebe Point Road"

Source: Robin Graham Heritage Impact Statement
Date significance updated: 20 Jul 06
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1890-1891
Physical description: A two-storey freestanding house that dates from the Federation period within the key period of significance, set on a wide site that has retained its context. The building is setback from the street. The site has an appropriate front fence of brick approximately 1.2 metres high. The front garden is large and formally landscaped provides an appropriate setting for the house.The façade presents a simple asymmetrical elevation and is constructed of face brick on a brick base course. The roof is hipped with a steep pitch, and has close eaves. The roof is clad in slate and features corbelled chimneys. The verandah is offset and continues the roof pitch. It features timber columns valance and balustrade. Fenestration comprises vertically proportioned 2-pane double hung timber windows.


Alterations include rear additions.

.Projecting bay front with further projecting three facetted two storey bay window, front door with fanlight and sidelights, two storey front verandah with squared fluted timber posts, turned timber balustrade and valances, and roof continuous with main roof. Some alterations to rear and side, but most internal joinery and decorative elements are intact, with adaptation as an institution. Excellent wrought iron picket fence on sandstone base with stone-capped brick gateposts. Polychrome brick quoins and simple rendered string courses and hood mouldings to the windows.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building appears to be in excellent condition and is highly intact externally.
Date condition updated:30 Oct 12
Further information: To be conserved in response to the Conservation Plan.

Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora..

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today.

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 "to relieve the pressing needs of clergy", Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. The Toxteth Estate comprises 4 lots from the 1828 subdivision of the Glebe. Lot 21 was acquired by AB Spark, and lots 22-24 were acquired by George Allen.

Toxteth Park was built for George Allen in 1831, to the design of John Verge. Toxteth Park house consisted of a rectangular two-storey block with single-storey wings and a stone-flagged verandah which was laid around two sides of the house. Set at right angles, behind the main building, and facing a large paved courtyard, were the kitchen and servants’ quarters. Shortly after the completion of the house the Sydney Gazette described its ‘spacious garden, containing some hundreds of the choicest trees- and a tract of forest land capable of being converted into the most romantic pleasure grounds’. On George Allen’s death in 1877, George Wigram Allen, his son, moved into "Toxteth House"but not before making extensive alterations to the principal buildings of the estate under the superintendence of G.A. Mansfield somewhere between 1877 and 1881. This action must have had a large impact on the popular builders of the adjacent estates, for, the greater part of the Allen estate seems to have been sub-divided and built up from the early 1880s to the early 1900s employing the Italianate and elaborate variations of it during the 1880s and 1890s, while the late 1890s and 1900s came under the influence of a "Federation"style.

George Allen, in his will, decreed that only private dwelling houses be built on the future subdivision of the estate, and that they be constructed out of either brick or stone. Being a devout Wesleyan, Allens covenant prevented alcohol being brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe. George Wigram Allen died in 1885. Subdivision of Toxteth Park had commenced in earnest in 1884 with 88 building sites offered for sale. In 1886, Mills & Pile offered forty-five allotments for sale in Wigram Road, measuring for the most part, twenty-five feet to thirty feet. One hundred and thirty-four ‘choice villa sites’ were offered in Boyce Street, Ross Street and Toxteth Road.

The 1828 subdivision made allowance for in roads into the Glebe; Bay Road and Glebe Road (Glebe Point Road) were created by cutting through bush, pulling out stumps and ‘filling in the largest of the holes’. Glebe Point Rd, or alternatively known as the Glebe Rd, opened up in 1829 as the initial exploitive action in the form of a tract with fence either side. This basic line of communication cut into the then dense forest covering the Glebe with only bush tracks made by drays penetrating off the Glebe Rd to the individual estates. A main influencing factor on the character of the subdivided areas of Toxteth Park Estate was the covenant, issued on the death of George Allen, in that being a devout Wesleyan no alcohol was to be brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development, no commercial development, and that any building be constructed out of brick of stone or both. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe.

266 Glebe Point Road was first listed in the Sands Directory of 1891 and occupied by John Henry Cotter. The building was then known as ‘Monteith’. One of the several large substantially intact turn-of-the-century houses in the vicinity of which retain the integral character of Glebe Point Road at the turn of the century. The house Monteith has associations with the Cotter family especially Australian cricketer "Tibby" Cotter. From 1971 it was part of the site of the NSW College of Nursing and then NSW College of the Arts until 1995.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Residential-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Tibby Cotter-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building provides evidence of Toxteth Estate.The building has historical significance as an early Federation development on the Toxteth Estate. The building's quality reflect the development of Glebe Point Road as a major street. At the time it was built it made a significant contribution to the development of the Toxteth Estate as a precinct.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Significant for its association with the development transport node. Reflects the importance of the Allen family in shaping the area. The building has historical associative significance for its association with Australian cricketer Tibby Cotter, association with the Cotter family and later the NSW College of the Arts.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
An outstanding example of a substantial Federation period house in a garden setting that is rare in its precinct and contributes to the streetscape. Polychrome and red brick with a slate roof and timber decoration. Principally Italianate in style. The building is significant for its contribution to the streetscape as a landmark. Reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address. Reflects the social importance in late nineteenth century Sydney of English cultural references.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The site has medium archaeological potential as a late nineteenth century residence
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The building is a rare and outstanding example of a highly intact original Federation residential exterior and interior of high quality design.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative of the grand villas that were built at Glebe Point in the 19th century.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should ramain in the included in the Heritage Schedule of the LEP and be protected by the Conservation Area Listing. The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the façade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls. This building is currently in good condition and careful ongoing maintenance of the building and its garden setting is recommended.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I75414 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Leichhardt Municpal Heritage Study1990 McDonald McPhee P/L  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenNational Trust of Australia Classification Cards

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427838


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.