House "Tricketts" Including Interior, Front Fence and Front Garden | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

House "Tricketts" Including Interior, Front Fence and Front Garden

Item details

Name of item: House "Tricketts" Including Interior, Front Fence and Front Garden
Other name/s: Tricketts (No 270); Craiglaw (No 272)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Mansion
Primary address: 270 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
270 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address
270-272 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Alternate Address
Pendrill StreetGlebeSydney  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

No 270: The site and building provides evidence of the 1890's subdivision and development of the Toxteth Estate.The building has historical significance for its ability to evidence early Federation period development. The building's quality reflect the development of Glebe Point Road as a major street. At the time it was built it made a significant contribution to the development of the Toxteth Estate as a precinct. Significant for its association with the development transport node.

The scale and quality of the building reflects the importance of the Allen family in shaping the area.

An outstanding example of a late Victorian Italianate style house in a garden setting that contributes to the streetscape. The building is significant for its contribution to the streetscape as a landmark. Reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address.

No 272: The site and building provides evidence of the 1890's subdivision and development of the Toxteth Estate.The building has historical significance for its ability to evidence Federation period development. The building's quality reflect the development of Glebe Point Road as a major street. At the time it was built it made a significant contribution to the development of the Toxteth Estate as a precinct. Significant for its association with the development transport node. It reflects the importance of the Allen family in shaping the area.

An outstanding example of a grand transitional Victorian/Federation house in a garden setting that contributes to the streetscape. It has a high quality of design intention. The building is significant for its contribution to the streetscape as a landmark. Reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address.
Date significance updated: 13 Feb 09
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1896-1900
Physical description: No 270: A two-storey freestanding house that dates from the Federation period within the key period of significance, set on a wide site that has retained its context. The building is setback from the street. The site has an appropriate front fence of iron palisade approximately 1.2 metres high. The front garden is large and formally landscaped, features an offset path and provides an appropriate setting for the house.The façade presents a simple asymmetrical elevation and is constructed of rendered brick with a paint finish on a rendered masonry base course. The roof is gabled/hipped with a steep pitch, and has close eaves. The roof is clad in terracotta tile and features corbelled chimneys. The veranda runs across the façade, has a bullnose profile and features cast iron columns and fringe balustrading. The façade features classical motifs, dentils and battened gables. The front door is offset. Fenestration comprises 2-pane double hung timber windows.The building appears to be in excellent condition and is highly intact. The building has a high archaeological potential.

No 272: A two-storey freestanding house that dates from the Federation period within the key period of significance, set on a wide site that has retained its context. The building is setback from the street. The site has an appropriate front fence of iron palisade approximately 1.2 metres high. The front garden is large and informally landscaped and provides an appropriate setting for the house.The façade presents a complex double fronted asymmetrical elevation and is constructed of rendered brick with shingle verandah with a paint finish on a rendered masonry base course. The roof is hipped with a steep pitch, and has close eaves. The roof is clad in terracotta tile and features corbelled chimneys. The veranda is offset and extends the roofline. The façade features classical motifs. Fenestration comprises vertically proportioned 2-pane double hung timber windows.The building appears to be in excellent condition and is highly intact. The building has a high archaeological potential.
Date condition updated:15 May 03
Modifications and dates: No 270: c.1920s verandah infill
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.

(Information sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/barani )

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 “to relieve the pressing needs of clergy”, Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. The Toxteth Estate comprises 4 lots from the 1828 subdivision of the Glebe. Lot 21 was acquired by AB Spark, and lots 22-24 were acquired by George Allen.Toxteth Park was built for George Allen in 1831, to the design of John Verge. Toxteth Park house consisted of a rectangular two-storey block with single-storey wings and a stone-flagged verandah which was laid around two sides of the house. Set at right angles, behind the main building, and facing a large paved courtyard, were the kitchen and servants’ quarters. Shortly after the completion of the house the Sydney Gazette described its ‘spacious garden, containing some hundreds of the choicest trees- and a tract of forest land capable of being converted into the most romantic pleasure grounds’. On George Allen’s death in 1877, George Wigram Allen, his son, moved into "Toxteth House" but not before making extensive alterations to the principal buildings of the estate under the superintendence of G.A. Mansfield somewhere between 1877 and 1881. This action must have had a large impact on the popular builders of the adjacent estates, for, the greater part of the Allen estate seems to have been sub-divided and built up from the early 1880s to the early 1900s employing the Italianate and elaborate variations of it during the 1880s and 1890s, while the late 1890s and 1900s came under the influence of a “Federation” style. George Allen, in his will, decreed that only private dwelling houses be built on the future subdivision of the estate, and that they be constructed out of either brick or stone. Being a devout Wesleyan, Allens covenant prevented alcohol being brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe. George Wigram Allen died in 1885. Subdivision of Toxteth Park had commenced in earnest in 1884 with 88 building sites offered for sale. In 1886, Mills & Pile offered forty-five allotments for sale in Wigram Road, measuring for the most part, twenty-five feet to thirty feet. One hundred and thirty-four ‘choice villa sites’ were offered in Boyce Street, Ross Street and Toxteth Road.

The 1828 subdivision made allowance for in roads into the Glebe; Bay Road and Glebe Road (Glebe Point Road) were created by cutting through bush, pulling out stumps and ‘filling in the largest of the holes’. Glebe Point Rd, or alternatively known as the Glebe Rd, opened up in 1829 as the initial exploitive action in the form of a tract with fence either side. This basic line of communication cut into the then dense forest covering the Glebe with only bush tracks made by drays penetrating off the Glebe Rd to the individual estates. A main influencing factor on the character of the subdivided areas of Toxteth Park Estate was the covenant, issued on the death of George Allen, in that being a devout Wesleyan no alcohol was to be brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development, no commercial development, and that any building be constructed out of brick of stone or both. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe.

270 Glebe Point Road, 'Tricketts', was first listed in the Sands Directory of 1897 and occupied by William TA Shorter, solicitor. The verandah was infilled in the 1920s. The house was constructed on the Allen Estate subdivision of the mid 1890s.

272 Glebe Point Road was first listed in the Sands Directory of 1900 and occupied by James Muir. The building was then known as ‘Craiglaw’.The house was constructed on the Allen Estate subdivision of the mid 1890s.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
No 270: The site and building provides evidence of the 1890's subdivision and development of the Toxteth Estate.The building has historical significance for its ability to evidence early Federation period development. The building's quality reflect the development of Glebe Point Road as a major street. At the time it was built it made a significant contribution to the development of the Toxteth Estate as a precinct. Significant for its association with the development transport node.

No 272: The site and building provides evidence of the 1890's subdivision and development of the Toxteth Estate.The building has historical significance for its ability to evidence Federation period development. The building's quality reflect the development of Glebe Point Road as a major street. At the time it was built it made a significant contribution to the development of the Toxteth Estate as a precinct. Significant for its association with the development transport node.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
No 270: The scale and quality of the building reflects the importance of the Allen family in shaping the area.

No 272: Reflects the importance of the Allen family in shaping the area.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
No 270: An outstanding example of a late Victorian Italianate style house in a garden setting that contributes to the streetscape. The building is significant for its contribution to the streetscape as a landmark. Reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address.

No 272: An outstanding example of a grand transitional Victorian/Federation house in a garden setting that contributes to the streetscape. It has a high quality of design intention. The building is significant for its contribution to the streetscape as a landmark. Reflects the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
No 270: The building is a rare and outstanding example of a highly intact grand Italianate residential exterior and interior with outstanding potential to be restored with minimum effort. It has a high quality of design intention.

No 272: The building is a rare and outstanding example of a highly intact transitional Victorian/Federation residential exterior.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be included in the Heritage Schedule of the LEP and should be protected by the Conservation Area Listing.Long term restoration of verandah and reinstatement of slate roof tiles.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I75514 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Statement of Heritage Significance & Statement of Heritage Impact2019 Nigel Parsons & Associates Architects  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenBerchervaise & Associates1991Main Street Study
WrittenGamble, Alan1969Setting for a Campus
WrittenThe Glebe Society Inc.1973Glebe Treasures

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427839


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.