House Group Including Interiors and Front Fencing | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

House Group Including Interiors and Front Fencing

Item details

Name of item: House Group Including Interiors and Front Fencing
Other name/s: No 292 Jarra; 292A Grafton
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 290-312 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
290-312 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Indicative of the later development at Glebe Point, in favour of more detached house forms and Federation styling. The group provides evidence of the 1904 subdivision of the Toxteth Park Estate and reflects the importance of the Allen family in shaping the area.

It is a fine cohesive group of intact Federation freestanding and semi-detached cottages with detailing ranging from Italianate through to Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau styles. The group is significant for its contribution to the streetscape.
Date significance updated: 26 Jul 06
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Jarra and Grafton, Nos. 292 and 292A,
Construction years: 1906-1915
Physical description: A group of predominantly one storey freestanding and semi-detached cottages that are part of a group that dates from the Federation period within the key period of significance set on a wide site that has retained its context. The buildings are setback from the street. The sites have an appropriate front fence of iron palisade and stone, approximately 1.2 metres high. The front gardens are small informally landscaped, feature a set of steps and provides an appropriate setting for the houses. The façades present a simple elevation and are constructed of face brick, some with a render paint finsh on a stone base course. Some feature projecting gabled bays. The roofs are hipped with a medium pitch and have exposed eaves. The roofs are clad in slate and terracotta tiles and feature corbelled chimneys, terracotta capping and battened gable ends. The verandah runs across the façade, has a straight profile and features timber columns and fretted carved timber. The facades features feature somecalssical motifs and label moulds. The front doors are offset, panelled and glazed. Fenestration comprises vertically proportioned timber windows. The buildings appear to be in good condition and are substantially intact. The buildings have a medium archaeological potential.

Jarra and Grafton, Nos. 292 and 292A, arts and crafts style, is a pair of terraces. No.290 Victorian villa with unusual freize panel. Built on the Glebe Point Road frontage of the Allen Estate this group displays a degree of architectural consistency.
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.

(Information sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/barani )


The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 "to relieve the pressing needs of clergy", Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. The Toxteth Estate comprises 4 lots from the 1828 subdivision of the Glebe. Lot 21 was acquired by AB Spark, and lots 22-24 were acquired by George Allen.

Toxteth Park was built for George Allen in 1831, to the design of John Verge. Toxteth Park house consisted of a rectangular two-storey block with single-storey wings and a stone-flagged verandah which was laid around two sides of the house. Set at right angles, behind the main building, and facing a large paved courtyard, were the kitchen and servants’ quarters. Shortly after the completion of the house the Sydney Gazette described its ‘spacious garden, containing some hundreds of the choicest trees- and a tract of forest land capable of being converted into the most romantic pleasure grounds’.

On George Allen’s death in 1877, George Wigram Allen, his son, moved into "Toxteth House" but not before making extensive alterations to the principal buildings of the estate under the superintendence of G.A. Mansfield somewhere between 1877 and 1881. This action must have had a large impact on the popular builders of the adjacent estates, for, the greater part of the Allen estate seems to have been sub-divided and built up from the early 1880s to the early 1900s employing the Italianate and elaborate variations of it during the 1880s and 1890s, while the late 1890s and 1900s came under the influence of a "Federation" style.

George Allen, in his will, decreed that only private dwelling houses be built on the future subdivision of the estate, and that they be constructed out of either brick or stone. Being a devout Wesleyan, Allens covenant prevented alcohol being brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe.

George Wigram Allen died in 1885. Subdivision of Toxteth Park had commenced in earnest in 1884 with 88 building sites offered for sale. In 1886, Mills & Pile offered forty-five allotments for sale in Wigram Road, measuring for the most part, twenty-five feet to thirty feet. One hundred and thirty-four ‘choice villa sites’ were offered in Boyce Street, Ross Street and Toxteth Road.

The 1828 subdivision made allowance for in roads into the Glebe; Bay Road and Glebe Road (Glebe Point Road) were created by cutting through bush, pulling out stumps and ‘filling in the largest of the holes’. Glebe Point Rd, or alternatively known as the Glebe Rd, opened up in 1829 as the initial exploitive action in the form of a tract with fence either side. This basic line of communication cut into the then dense forest covering the Glebe with only bush tracks made by drays penetrating off the Glebe Rd to the individual estates.

A main influencing factor on the character of the subdivided areas of Toxteth Park Estate was the covenant, issued on the death of George Allen, in that being a devout Wesleyan no alcohol was to be brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development, no commercial development, and that any building be constructed out of brick of stone or both. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe.

Spark fell victim to the economic downturn of the 1840’s, and the Eglinton Estate was subdivided into 31 allotments. On June 16, 1841 an advertisement appeared in the Herald:

‘The Marine Village of Eglintoun; Subdivided by Mr. Surveyor Armstrong’.
"The road (Glebe Point Road) (opposite that leading to Cook’s River) which has just been completed affords one of the most delightful drives in the vicinity of Sydney, passing along the beautiful properties of Dr. Bowman, Capt. Dumaresq, Messrs. Allen, Betts, Miller, James, etc. The whole property has been divided into convenient allotments, as may have been seen by the surveyors chart on which the enchanting views of the distant "Capes and Bays and rising Villas" are tastefully delineated. Access to Eglintoun may be had either by water or land and there is excellent fishing in the adjacent Bays. A public wharf adjoins the village, thus affording the means of supplying the inhabitants of Glebe Island with building timber, lime, fuel, etc. at a cheap rate. Land is of rising value and that it bids fair to well the land at Darlinghurst in value and importance."

The later subdivisions of the Toxteth Estate, towards Glebe Point, resulted largely in the construction of cottages. One of the last groups of terraced cottages to be built in Glebe came after the 1907 subdivision of the Allen Estate, at 12-24 Victoria Road, in 1913.

290 Glebe Point Road was first listed in the Sands Directory of 1907 and occupied by Richard W Harris. The building was then known as ‘Chelveston’.

292 "Jarra" Glebe Point Road dates from c.1915 and 292a "Grafton" Glebe Point Road dates from c.1915 , 292 and 292A Glebe Point Road were first listed in the Sands Directory of 1915 and occupied by GC Thomson and Mrs J Smith respectively, as a row of single storey detached housing.

Bernard Smith noted: "A way of achieving symmetry in semi-detached houses was to adopt the traditional side-gable roof, typical of cottages like Calmar, and break an ornamented gable out over the two centralised entrance porches, as at Jarra and Grafton (1915), 292-292a Glebe Point Road".

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The group provides evidence of the 1904 subdivision of the Toxteth Park Estate. Indicative of the late development at Glebe Point, in favour of more detached house forms and Federation styling.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Reflects the importance of the Allen family in shaping the area.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
A fine cohesive group of intact Federation freestanding and semi-detached cottages with detailing ranging from Italianate through to Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau styles. The group is significant for its contribution to the streetscape.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The site has medium archaeological potential as an early 20th Century residence.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The group is representative of Federation period residential development on the Toxteth Park Estate.
Integrity/Intactness: This item has integrity values.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The group should remain in the heritage schedule of the LEP and be protected. These houses appear to be generally in excellent condition and any owner should strive to maintain the original appearance, restore frontage and reinstate missing elements and character where they have been altered. The buildings should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the buildings prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the buildings and no alterations to the façades of the buildings other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I76014 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Statement of Heritage Significance & Statement of Heritage Impact2019 Nigel Parsons & Associates Architects  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenBerchervaise & associates Pty Ltd1991Glebe Point Road Main Street Study, Stage Two
WrittenThe Glebe Society Inc.1973Glebe Treasures

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427842


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.