House "Hartford" including interior, front fence and front garden | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

House "Hartford" including interior, front fence and front garden

Item details

Name of item: House "Hartford" including interior, front fence and front garden
Other name/s: Hartford, Mildred Parker Deaconess Training College
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Mansion
Primary address: 244 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
244 Glebe Point RoadGlebeSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Hartford is an outstanding example of a Federation Queen Anne style grand house, with Art Nouveu detailing, in a garden setting. It is stylistically related to 242 Glebe Point Road and together they make a strong contribution to the streetscape.

The site and building provide evidence of the subdivision and development of Toxteth Estate. The building's size and quality reflect the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address and the aspirations of the Allen family and the early residents of the Toxteth Estate. Hartford reflects the social importance in late nineteenth century Sydney of English cultural references and Scottish baronial architecture.

The building has historical associative significance for its association with the dentist, Dr E Randolph Magnus.
Date significance updated: 30 Oct 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A freestanding Federation Queen Anne style grand house set on a wide corner site that has retained its context. It reads as two storeys but also has a lower ground floor level. It is set on a wide corner site at the corner of Glebe Point Road and Park Avenue that has retained its context. The building is setback from the street with front fence of stone-capped face brick on a stone plinth with cast iron quatrefoil motif panel. The front garden is large and informally landscaped and features a central concrete path, mature trees and provides an appropriate setting for the house.

The façade presents a complex asymmetrical elevation and is constructed of tuck pointed face brick timber shingles and rusticated stone panels. The roof is complex and gabled with a steep pitch, and has broad timber-boarded exposed eaves. It is clad in terracotta tile and features tall corbelled brick and rough cast chimneys with terracotta chimney pots and conical turrets, gabled ends, shingled and timber fretwork.

The verandah runs across the corner and above the entry and has a straight profile. It is clad in terracotta tile and features turned timber columns upstairs and tapered painted stone columns below. Other features include a delicate turned timber valance and balustrade, shingled skirt, tessellated tiles and slated edging. The façade features highly decorative carved stone panels and carved stone corbels and sills. The front door is centrally located and is panelled and glazed with fanlight. Fenestration is varied and comprises vertically proportioned arched casement timber windows with highlights, some leadlight and an oval-shaped window to the verandah. Fenestration to other facades is double hung timber sashes.

Internally significant features of the main house include the original room layout, timber stairs, timber joinery, brass hardware, decorative ceilings, fire places and leadlight glazing.

There is a two storey rear building of brick and weatherboard construction with terracotta tiled roof. It contains a double garage with access from Allen Lane with a studio above.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building appears to be in excellent condition and is highly intact externally .
Date condition updated:30 Oct 12
Modifications and dates: c1985- DA 77/85- Demolition of existing garage and erection of new garage with first floor hobby room to the design of John Hatch, Architect. Approved on 6/6/1985.

2000- DA 99/ 1191 Repair of first floor side verandah submitted by Robert Moore, Architect. Approved on 10/2/2000.
Further information: Under the provisions of Leichardt LEP 2000, the buildings at Nos 236-260 Glebe Point Road were listed under one heritage group listing sheet. In the Sydney LEP 2012, the group was divided with several individual and smaller groups’ listings; some was de-listed.

No 244 was given its own listing due to its distinct style and design from others in the group.

Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residence in private ownership. ' Hartford'
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population.

The Sydney Glebe lands were granted to the Church of England in 1789, and in 1828 “to relieve the pressing needs of clergy”, Glebe was subdivided into 28 allotments and all but three lots (numbers 7,8 and 28) were offered for sale. The Toxteth Estate comprises 4 lots from the 1828 subdivision of the Glebe. Lot 21 was acquired by AB Spark, and lots 22-24 were acquired by George Allen.Toxteth Park was built for George Allen in 1831, to the design of John Verge. Toxteth Park house consisted of a rectangular two-storey block with single-storey wings and a stone-flagged verandah which was laid around two sides of the house. Set at right angles, behind the main building, and facing a large paved courtyard, were the kitchen and servants’ quarters. Shortly after the completion of the house the Sydney Gazette described its ‘spacious garden, containing some hundreds of the choicest trees- and a tract of forest land capable of being converted into the most romantic pleasure grounds’. On George Allen’s death in 1877, George Wigram Allen, his son, moved into “Toxteth House” but not before making extensive alterations to the principal buildings of the estate under the superintendence of G.A. Mansfield somewhere between 1877 and 1881. This action must have had a large impact on the popular builders of the adjacent estates, for, the greater part of the Allen estate seems to have been sub-divided and built up from the early 1880s to the early 1900s employing the Italianate and elaborate variations of it during the 1880s and 1890s, while the late 1890s and 1900s came under the influence of a :“Federation" style. George Allen, in his will, decreed that only private dwelling houses be built on the future subdivision of the estate, and that they be constructed out of either brick or stone. Being a devout Wesleyan, Allens covenant prevented alcohol being brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe. George Wigram Allen died in 1885. Subdivision of Toxteth Park had commenced in earnest in 1884 with 88 building sites offered for sale. In 1886, Mills & Pile offered forty-five allotments for sale in Wigram Road, measuring for the most part, twenty-five feet to thirty feet. One hundred and thirty-four ‘choice villa sites’ were offered in Boyce Street, Ross Street and Toxteth Road.

The 1828 subdivision made allowance for in roads into the Glebe; Bay Road and Glebe Road (Glebe Point Road) were created by cutting through bush, pulling out stumps and ‘filling in the largest of the holes’. Glebe Point Rd, or alternatively known as the Glebe Rd, opened up in 1829 as the initial exploitive action in the form of a tract with fence either side. This basic line of communication cut into the then dense forest covering the Glebe with only bush tracks made by drays penetrating off the Glebe Rd to the individual estates. A main influencing factor on the character of the subdivided areas of Toxteth Park Estate was the covenant, issued on the death of George Allen, in that being a devout Wesleyan no alcohol was to be brought on to the estate in the form of Hotel or Inn development, no commercial development, and that any building be constructed out of brick of stone or both. As a consequence of the covenants, the Glebe Point end as it became known was a very desirable and fashionable part of Sydney to live in, with some large houses being built along the Glebe Point Road around the turn of the century. These mainly belonged to a higher socio-economic group than would be found in the Church lands or other speculative pockets of the Glebe.

244 Glebe Point Road was first listed in the Sands Directory of 1899 and occupied by "E.R. Magnus, surgeon". The building was then known as ‘Hartford’. Hartford was erected by Dr E. Randolph Magnus a Macquarie Street Dentist, who was born and educated in America. Like number 242, it has taken advantage of its corner position. According to Craig Burton (1979) "It is interesting to note the possible development of this style through from [no. 242] through "Hartford" and "Oswestry" chronologically. The tower as an independent element had evolved in the Italianate, and the preference for location seemed to be the corner of the mass of the building in order to break the symmetry."

From c1960 until 1967 the property was used as a training college for Presbyterian Deaconesses. It was known as the Mildred Parker Deaconess Training College and was administered by the Presbyterian Social Services Department.

In 1969 it became a property of the Glebe Parish of the Presbyterian Church and from 1977 until 1983 was part of the Glebe Parish Mission of the Uniting Church. During this period the upper level was used as a residence whilst the lower levels were used for church purposes including offices.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building provide evidence of the subdivision and development of Toxteth Estate.
The building's size and quality reflect the development of Glebe Point Road as a prestige address and the aspirations of the Allen family and the early residents of the Toxteth Estate..
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Hartford reflects the importance of the Allen family in shaping the area.

The building has historical associative significance for its association with the dentist, Dr E Randolph Magnus.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Hartford is an outstanding example of a Federation Queen Anne Style grand house, with Art Nouveau detailing in a garden setting. It is stylistically related to 242 Glebe Point Road and together they make a strong contribution to the streetscape. It reflects the social importance in late nineteenth century Sydney of English cultural references and Scottish baronial architecture.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Hartford reflects the social importance in late nineteenth century Sydney of English cultural references and Scottish baronial architecture.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The building is a rare and outstanding example of a highly intact Federation Queen Anne Federation style residence.

The building has rarity significance as it provides evidence of "Scottish Baronial" federation residential influences.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative of the Federation era development in the Toxteth Estate and the the grand villas that were built at Glebe Point towards the end of the 19th century.
Integrity/Intactness: This item has high integrity values.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained in the Heritage Schedule of the LEP and should be protected by the Conservation Area Listing. The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the façade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls. The garden setting of the house, as seen from Glebe Point Road and Park Avenue, is to be maintained. Subdivision should not occur. Consolidation of sites should not occur. The existing use of the site should continue. Remove cement pointing to stone fence, signage should be removed and the fence needs maintenance.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I75014 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Leichhardt Municpal Heritage Study1990B23GMcDonald McPhee P/L  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City View detail
WrittenBerchervaise & Associates1991Glebe Point Road Main Street Study
WrittenCraig Burton1979Housing the Glebe
WrittenNational Trust of Australia Classification Cards
WrittenSmith, Bernard and Kate1989The Architectural Character of Glebe, Sydney,

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2427865


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.