House Including Interior and Front Fence (99 Victoria Street) | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

House Including Interior and Front Fence (99 Victoria Street)

Item details

Name of item: House Including Interior and Front Fence (99 Victoria Street)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 97-99 Victoria Street, Potts Point, NSW 2011
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
97-99 Victoria StreetPotts PointSydney  Primary Address
75 - 99 Victoria StreetPotts PointSydney  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

99 Victoria Street has the ability to demonstrate the early development of Potts Point through the subdivision of the original land grant to Alexander Spark and the subsequent building of grand terrace houses for the middle classes in the mid 1800s. It is also significant for being subject of 1970s green bans and representative of the twentieth century history of resident activism and the heritage conservation movement.

The building is a good example of a Victorian Filigree Style house. Together with its immediate neighbour , No 97 Victoria Street, a building of similar construction date, style and size, it is an integral part of the streetscape. Their level of contribution however has however been reduced slightly by nearby unsympathetic 1980s development.
Date significance updated: 02 Apr 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Unknown
Physical description: A two storey masonry Victorian Filigree house with hipped roof of corrugated iron and two prominent chimneys on the southern side. It has a symmetrical front façade with a two storey verandah with decorative cast iron supports, balustrade and frieze. At ground floor level there is a centrally located front door, with side lights and fanlight, flanked on both sides by a double hung sash window. Three pairs of French doors, with timber shutters open onto the upper level of the verandah.There is a generous front setback with front palisade fence.

The interior has not been inspected.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:28 Mar 13
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: Historical Overview

The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today.

The first land grant in the area, of 30 acres covering today's Potts Point, was made to Patrick Walsh, an Irish ex-convict, in 1809. Governor Macquarie revoked that land grant in 1822, granting the land instead to Mr. Drennan. Later the land was brought back under Crown control for the establishment of huts for local aboriginal people. Governor Macquarie gave the name Elizabeth Town to the area after his wife. After Macquarie's departure, Elizabeth Town was divided into land grants for important public servants who were encouraged to build grand villas. These included Sir John Wylde Judge Advocate, 1822 and Alexander Macleay, Colonial Secretary. The final name of the area Potts Point came from association with Joseph Hyde Potts, Clerk of the Bank of NSW, who purchased six and a half acres in the area.

East of Forbes Street lay several estates that extended down the escarpment from Potts Point including E. Hallam’s grant, Judge Stephen’s grant and the Tusculum Estate. Judge James Dowling received an 8 acre land grant in 1831 bounded by William Street, Dowling Street and Victoria Street and built Brougham Lodge on his property. He allocated some of his grant for the formation of streets such as Victoria Street, Duke Street and McElhone Street. His estate was subdivided in 1846. The line of Victoria Street is shown on Edward Hallens Plan of 1842.

Subdivision of A. Campbell’s Estate occurred in 1849 and included lots in Macleay, Victoria, Brougham and Forbes Street. Brougham Lodge was located on Victoria Street and was subdivided into 22 allotments.

The Tivoli Estate of 1867, the Challis Estate of 1889 and various smaller subdivisions along Victoria Street represent the earliest layer of intensive residential development in the area. Subdivision of the early mansion estates occurred in the early twentieth century with Tusculum Estate 1901, Campbell Lodge Estate 1910, Grantham Estate 1922, and Orwell House Estate 1921. Many of the grand houses of the period remained until the 1930’s when they were replaced by flat buildings. A further group were demolished in the 1960’s , including Tarmons on the site of St Vincent's College. Only four sites with grand villas remain in the precinct today.

During the 20th century, the area evolved into a bohemian enclave populated with Sydney’s artists, writers and other like minded individuals. The unique character of this area was all but lost by the 1960s, as the American soldiers and sailors on rest and recreation leave in Australia during WWII and the Vietnam War encouraged its present character. The area became home to Sydney’s sex industry, was populated with gambling venues and was notorious during the 1980s for its stories of corruption and underworld crime. Recently the sex industry has started to move to the suburbs and the Casino in Pyrmont has removed much of the gambling activity.

In the 1970s Potts Point became the focus of green bans over development plans for Victoria Street which were lodged in October 1971. Many residents on the city side of the street had already moved out, as the principal developer, Frank Theeman's Victoria Point Pty. Ltd. offered them favourable terms. The NSW Builders and Labourers Federation imposed green bans in sympathy with local resident activists, including the murdered Juanita Nielson who lived in Victoria Street. They opposed the demolition of the area's historic terrace housing and there was a protracted battle with the developers until 1976, when the green bans were lifted. A new plan called for the restoration of 22 of the 32 houses in conjunction with a 10 storey complex located to the east behind them.



99 Victoria Street ( Further research required)
The site is located on the original land grant to Alexander Spark in 1828. He built a villa,Tusculum, designed by John Verge, which was under construction from 1831 to 1835. The property was acquired by Charles William Roemer, a German born merchant in October 1841. He proceded to subdivide the grant into large villa allotments. In 1842 Roemer conveyed a part of the land, including the subject property to William Carr. It was subsequently re-subdivided and offered for sale as " Part of Tusculum Estate. " The subject property was part of Lot 8 Section 4 of this subdivison. Lot 8 went through several changes of ownership over the following five years. On 21 September 1857, it was conveyed to David Hill.

The outline of the building is shown on the 1865 City of Sydney Trignometric Survey.

No 99 Victoria Street became part of Strata Plan 20165 registered in April 1983. It more recently has been separate from this strata plan and is now Lot 7 DP 1156935.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Residential-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site has the ability to demonstrated the early development of Potts Point through the subdivision of the original land grant to Alexander Sparks and the subsequent building of grand terrace houses for the middle classes in the mid - 1800s. It is also significant for being subject of 1970s green bans and representative of the twentieth century history of resident activism and the heritage conservation movement.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is a good example of the Victorian Filigree style applied to a grand house.Together with its immediate neighbour, No 97 Victoria Street, a building of similar construction date, style and size, it is an integral part of the streetscape.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative example of a Victorian Filigree style house found in the inner suburbs of Sydney.
Integrity/Intactness: Externally intact
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the façade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012117216 Dec 13   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
South Sydney Heritage Study1993 Tropman & Tropman Architects  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenWeir Phillips201297 Victoria Street Potts Point: Heritage Report

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2435704


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.