House - Nottingham | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

House - Nottingham

Item details

Name of item: House - Nottingham
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 1 Victoria Street, Temora, NSW 2666
Parish: Bundawarrah - Temora
County: Bland
Local govt. area: Temora
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1 Victoria StreetTemoraTemoraBundawarrah - TemoraBlandPrimary Address
VesperTemoraTemora  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The substantial house is a good representative example of Federation property with original features, including verandahs, rooves, chimneys, and fenestration in sound condition. The site includes a rare timber stable building to the rear of the house on Vesper Street.
Date significance updated: 09 Jun 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A substantial house from the Federation period, constructed in face brick with a broad verandah on the two eastern sides, and a pair of gables framing bay windows symmetrically about the Victoria Street entrance. The site includes an unusual and rare timber stable with a curved roof in the rear yard.

History

Historical notes: The land on which "Nottingham" stands, was originally bought at the Crown Auction at Cootamundra in 1893 by P. Heffernan who bought the whole block surrounded by Victoria, Vesper, Loftus and Twynam Streets. He owned the land until, 1907, when John Baker, gentleman, a farmer from Quandary, bought this house block (together with the adjoining one, now the site of the Baptist Manse). In 1908, John built the house on the block which he called "Nottingham", which had an improved value of 899 pounds, three shillings and sixpence. He named the house after the Nottingham district he came from in England. He also bought land to the west of Vesper Street, which he later subdivided and it was called "Sherwood. Estate", or "Bakers Newtown Estate" with the roads named after the Nottingham (England) district, calling them Nottingham Road, Sherwood Road, Mansfield Road. He was a member of the Baptist Church, instrumental in establishing the church in Temora. Baker subdivided his lot, so that the Baptist Manse could be built there. On December 6, 1919, Richard Ernest Slade Davey, a farmer from Ariah Park purchased "Nottingham " from the Baker family after John Baker's death in 1918. Davey had one daughter Margaret Violet (nee Mills) who married Howard Barbey, and they also lived in the house around 1936, when their daughter, Judy, (West) was born. Oswald and Mary Macauley bought "Nottingham" in about September 1944, and it was then sold in 1962 to Alf and Isma Schulz who had retired from the farm at Ungarie. They remained there until about 1986 when Isma died. Lloyd Krause purchased the house after the Schulz family, then Bruce and Wendy Melzer bought it, but never lived in it. The Berry family then purchased it, renovating it extensively, selling it to the present (2006) owners, Gerard and Maxine Carr in May 2001. The curved roof building ( an original on the site) at the rear was a stable building.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan 8305 Jun 87 093 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Temora Shire Community based Heritage Study2003 David Scobie Architects Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenVarious: Temora Centenary Book Committee.1980Temora Yesterday and Today, 1880 - 1980.

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2480045


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.