House - Bodalia | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

House - Bodalia

Item details

Name of item: House - Bodalia
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 152 Vesper Street, Temora, NSW 2666
Parish: Bundawarrah - Temora
County: Bland
Local govt. area: Temora
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
152 Vesper StreetTemoraTemoraBundawarrah - TemoraBlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Situated in a very prominent position at the junction of Victoria and Vesper Streets, visible to all west bound travellers on the Burley Griffin Way. It remains unchanged architectually, retaining its integrity and merit. It was built at the time of rural prosperity, reflecting the confidence in the town and district's future, by a pioneer farming family.
Date significance updated: 09 Jun 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Imposing symmetrical red brick residence of Federation style, with iron, multi hipped roof, and return verandahs with turned timber posts. It features decorative timber facias, and finials. The layout of the original garden has been preserved.

History

Historical notes: The land on which "Bodalia" is built was first purchased by H.J. Woods at a Crown Land Auction at Cootamundra in 1893. In 1903, some of the land was sold to John Coleman, a Morangarell farmer. In 1908 he sold it to Robert McCrone, who owned property at Combaning. Robert sold the property and bought land in Vesper Street, but did not put a house on it until 1910-11 when the rates show the improved value of house and land as 1100 pounds. House built in 1911 for Robert McCrone and his wife Janet (nee Trefle). The property wasa transferred to his wife, Janet, on 16th September, 1911. Robert McCrone then bought land in the Mirrool and Wyalong districts where the family farmed for many years. He was actively involved with the Farmers' and Settlers Association, P.A.H. & I Association, Hospital Committee, Trotting and Coursing Clubs, the Temora band and the School of Arts. He later moved to the Mirrool district. The house was later sold in 1939 from the Estate of Janet McCrone for 1,400 pounds, complete with all the furniture, to the Coleman family, (in the name of Mrs Annie Gladys Coleman). Later it was occupied by their son Alec with his family, still containing the original McCrone furniture. Following Alec's death it was sold to Steve Alchin, a builder, who began extensive restorations. After his death it was sold to Ken and Irene Harpley who are the current (2006) owners who have sympathetically renovated the building. They were able to paint the walls in the original pastel colours because the house had only had two coats of paint, and the original colours were found, absorbed into the cement rendering. The leadlight windows are still the originals, with colours matching the original wall colours. The windows have pictures of native plants on them. The house had an iron multi-hipped main roof with a bull-nose return verandah that was originally painted in a striped pattern (probably red and white). From a 1905 photo, Ken Harpley has been able to replicate the original garden fairly closely.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanTemora LEP 20101605 Jun 87 093 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Temora Shire Community based Heritage Study2003 David Scobie Architects Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Oral HistoryKen Harpley (current 2006 owner)2006 
WrittenVarious: Temora Centenary Book Committee.1980Temora Yesterday and Today, 1880 - 1980.

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2480046


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.