Holy Trinity Anglican Church (including original interiors) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Holy Trinity Anglican Church (including original interiors)

Item details

Name of item: Holy Trinity Anglican Church (including original interiors)
Other name/s: Refer to Historical Notes
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: 46 Beaconsfield Road, Chatswood, NSW 2067
Parish: Willoughby
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Willoughby

Boundary:

Curtilage/Boundary is Lot size: The heritage listing applies to the whole property and any element which contributes to the heritage significance of this item. This may include internal detailing and/or fittings and fixtures, external setting including pathways, existing hard surfaces, gardens, fencing, landscape features and trees.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
46 Beaconsfield RoadChatswoodWilloughbyWilloughbyCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Built as the School of Arts in 1875, used as Chambers for the infant Willoughby Council, then as a Chapel from Mowbray House Preparatory School, and finally after relocation as the Holy Trinity Church, the building at 46 Beaconsfield Road has had a multifold role in the growing local community.

The building has local heritage significance on the basis of its historic significance, its association with the history and the development of Willoughby City, through its various uses, and its use as a church building after effective recycling.
Date significance updated: 11 Aug 03
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A modest Victorian Gothic structure located in a residential area on a corner site at the intersection of Beaconsfield and Dalrymple Roads. The building comprises a nave, with front and side porches and is constructed of ashlar sandstone.

The roof is a steeply pitched gable clad in terracotta tiles. Fenestration comprises narrow arch head, leadlight windows and doors are timber boarded. Internally, modernisation has been generally careful and empathetic. There is a utilitarian brick hall at the rear of the building.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Archaeological significance: unknown
Date condition updated:04 Nov 08
Modifications and dates: In 1957, the old sandstone building was moved stone by stone to its present site to become the Holy trinity Anglican Church.
Current use: Religious services
Former use: Refer to Historical Notes

History

Historical notes: The building was originally located in Mowbray Road where the Sydney County Council works is now situated. It was erected in 1875 for use as a School of Arts. In 1879, the building became the first Council Chambers and in 1883, a Council Clerk's office was added and a safe purchased for keeping Council documents. A new Town Hall was built in 1903 and the building was taken over by Chatswood Preparatory School, later Mowbray House School. The building became the School Chapel. The school closed in 1954 and the site was purchased by Sydney County Council.

In 1957 the building was moved stone by stone to its present site and became Holy Trinity Church, the foundation stone being set by Archbishop Mowll in 1957.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship Religious and Spiritual Purposes-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building has local heritage significance as a good example of neo-gothic architecture. Historically, it is significant on the basis of its association with the history and the development of Willoughby City, through its various community uses, and its use as a church building after effective recycling.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Holy Trinity has aestheticsignificance as a good example of a neo-gothic structure.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The Holy Trinity Anglican Church has local significance as a centre for various commmunity activities and for its later use as a place of public worship.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This church building is of good representative significance for its period and architectural style.
Integrity/Intactness: Significantly intact
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanWLEP 2012I6331 Jan 13   
Local Environmental PlanWLEP 1995, Schedule 7 Amendment 9Amendment 924 Jul 98 1125698

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Willoughby Heritage Study1989226Jonathon Falk & Rodney Jensen  No
Review of Proposed Heritage Listings in the City of Willoughby1996 Robert A Moore  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenJonathon Falk & Rodney Jensen1989Willoughby Heritage Study
WrittenN Booker & I Bennett1988The West Ward
WrittenRobert A Moore1996Review of Submissons to Heritage Inventory

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2660080


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.