Redcourt House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Redcourt House

Item details

Name of item: Redcourt House
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Location: Lat: 0 Long: 0
Primary address: Bundanoon Road, Exeter, NSW 2579
Local govt. area: Wingecarribee
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Bundanoon RoadExeterWingecarribee  Primary Address
Adjoins InvergowrieExeterWingecarribee  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

A fine Edwardian country house, Redcourt remains largely in original condition, furthermore with its distinctive combination with the grounds this property makes an important streetscape impact.
Date significance updated: 09 Aug 07
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Brick/iron Edwardian house with a prominent polygonal bay at front; impressive grounds with mature plantings on a steep site.
Further information:

History

Historical notes: Surveyor Henry Clarke Fowler first came to the Berrima district in late 1883, beginning his practice in Bowral soon after. In 1897 his brothers-in-law, Joseph Rudd and John Straughen, purchased 27 acres in the Vine Lodge Estate and the following year, his father, William, a vigneron from Campbelltown, bought an adjoining block. After Henry Fowler acquired an adjacent 24 acres, the family holding, Red Court Farm, effectively became a 60 acre property.

Henry Fowler had surveyed Vine Lodge and prepared the plans of subdivision for Frank and Charlie Badgery. He was one of Exeter's first developers and over a 15 year period, he bought several blocks and using his surveying expertise, subdivided and sold at a substantial profit.

About the turn of the century, a large brick gentleman's residence was built on the 27 acre portion of the land which became the home of Henry and Alice Fowler. Henry described himself variously as a farmer and architect when his children were enrolled at Exeter Public Shool between 1899 and 1904, raising the possibility that he was responsible for the design of Redcourt.

Redcourt was held until 1914 by Fowler's brother-in-law, John Straughen, a clergyman from Sydney, when it was sold to Sybella Louisa Badgery, wife of Henry Septimus Badgery, who had retired to his childhood home of Exeter.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanWLEP 2010I59416 Jun 10   
Local Environmental Plan - Lapsed  26 Nov 04 1878756
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Wingecarribee Heritage Study1991WI0594JRC Planning Services  Yes
Review of Draft Items from JRC Study1998 John Armes and Associates  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenLinda Emery Exploring Exeter

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2680594


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.