"Stane Dyke" Homestead | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

"Stane Dyke" Homestead

Item details

Name of item: "Stane Dyke" Homestead
Other name/s: Standyke Homestead, Stan Dyke Homestead, Stane Dykes Homestead
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 17 Stane Dyke Road, Kembla Grange, NSW 2526
Local govt. area: Wollongong City
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
17 Stane Dyke RoadKembla GrangeWollongong City  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

“Stan Dyke” homestead (in some sources also "Standykes") is of significance for Wollongong area for historical and aesthetic reasons and as a representative example of Victorian period vernacular style rural houses with associated buildings in the local area, recognised for its aesthetic values since the 1930s. It is relatively rare as sandstone houses of this type were uncommon. The house, built c. 1890 and relocated in 1930, presents as having a high degree of integrity when viewed externally and makes a very strong contribution to the townscape character. The area has archaeological potential relating to McPhail’s original property.
Date significance updated: 14 Mar 17
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1890-
Physical description: Late Victorian vernacular style rural house in garden setting. Single storey house was built of sandstone blocks, with symmetrical front and steep hipped corrugated iron roof. A skillion verandah with hip corners is across the front, on stone pylons topped with paired square timber posts. A single tall chimney survives. The building was originally located higher up the hill, however, in 1930 it was relocated by having every stone marked and the house rebuilt. Originally it had verandahs all round. The site retains an historical character through its rural setting of cleared paddocks.

(HLA West Dapto Study 2006): The site comprises the original homestead and outbuildings. The building was constructed in 1890 from sandstone quarried on the farm and is a single storey structure with a hipped corrugated metai roof and verandah on the south side. The verandah is a feature, supported by sandstone pillars.

The homestead is enclosed by a small rectangular garden containing a number of mature plantings such as an orange tree and Jacaranda. The garden has a timber post and wire fence. A row of mature silky oaks are sited to the west of the homestead and a number of coral trees to the east. Access to the property is via a grave! entry drive extending from Sheaffes Road to the east of the homestead, curving through the dairy outbuildings to the modern house.

The building was formerly located further up the hill from Sheaffes Road, the current location of a modern house, and was relocated to its existing location in 1930. Considered to be too lnconveniently located up the hill, it was moved by numbering each sandstone block. The boundaries are set by Payne's Road to the east and north and Sheaffes Road to the south. West Dapto Public School is incorporated within the southern boundary.

Outbuildings are located behind the original homestead and include a number of farm sheds and a silo. A small timber building with a gabled roof and skilllon lean-to appears to have been used as a worker's cottage and more recently a shed.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Since the homestead was relocated in 1930 it's condition has remained stable, and most of its original features have been retained. The rear fibre addition is unsympathetic, however could be reversed.
Modifications and dates: "Although attempts were made to maintain the appearance of the property by numbering stones and realying them, some changes were made to the house during the move and subsequent reconstruction. These changes not only demonstrated the changing architectural fashions of the era but also the way people lived: the once open-sided wrap around verandah was modified to become a partially enclosed front verandah, consistent with Californian Bungalow style which was popular at the time; only of the three chimneys were replicated; the kitchen and bathroom, which presumably would have been external elements to the original building, were relocated within the building; and although much of the joinery was saved and re-used, new joinery and decoration was added in the form of ceiling roses, picture rails and decorative cornice details." (Century 21, 2017) Original verandah was fully enclosed with fibro (c.1960s) and unsympathetic aluminium windows have been installed..
Further information: In 2017 the site underwent subdivision for residential development. Homestead was retained and conservation works undertaken, including removal of fibro verandah enclosure and rear extension. Outbuildings have been removed alothough ornamental garden retained.
Current use: Residence
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: The existing "Stan Dyke" house was built c.1890 by George McPhail and has remained in ownership of McPhail family since then. Its aesthetics and significance were recognised already in 1930, when it was relocated to the current location. It was built of stone quarried on the property (same stone was to be used for WD Public School, for which McPhails also donated land). The site is currently owned by Mr Duncan McPhail and Scott Property Enterprises Pty Ltd and Glanmire Developments Pty Ltd and others. Reference: LTO/LPI Old System (OS) Book 2909-689, and Book 4204-69&70.

"George McPhail was born in the Isle of Skye, Scotland in either 1832 or 1833. At age 11 or 12 he came to Australia with his parents, John and Margaret McPhail. For a time, John was the School master at Charcoal (Unanderra), then settled at Dapto, where he was the tenant of various farms. As a young adult, George headed off to the goldmines. He returned to the Illawarra and became a dairy farmer. He is believed to have been a founding member of the Farmers' and Dairymen's Company, later becoming a director of the company. This company was taken over by the Dairy Farmers' Co-operative Milk Co. Limited in March 1927.

George married Elizabeth Smith, daughter of Corporal James Smith. They resided on the tenanted farms and started a family that would eventually grow to 12 surviving children, 2 boys and 10 girls." (Century 21, 2017)

The property originally belonged to Sgt. William Keevers, a former soldier who served in the lnniskilling Dragoons, the 18th Hussars, and at Waterloo. He received a grant of 100 acres (Portion 40) in 1834 after serving as a drill instructor to the 1st troop of New South Wales Mounted Police. Keevers named his property "Hussar Farm."

Directly north west of "Hussar Farm” was Portion 223, originally granted to another veteran, James Mitchell but subsequently acquired by George McPhail. In April 1856, George paid 254 pounds and 12 shillings for a grant of 83 acres, 1 road and 36 perches. McPhail also acquired Hussar Farm, in February 1853 Keevor entered into an indenture of release with Robert Ventue Edwards for the aforementioned 100 acres. Edwards in turn sold the land to George McPhail in 1864 for 550 pounds. He later donated part of the property to the West Dapto Public School, which opened in 1882. (HLA West Dapto Study, 2006)

"In the early 1880's George started to quarry standstone on his original land grant and construct Stan Dyke in its first location." (Century 21, 2017) “Stan Dyke" is currently located on Keevers' former Portion 40 but the original homestead was on McPhail's Portion 223. (HLA West Dapto Study, 2006)

"George was a devout Christian, and would walk to Wollongong to attend services at the Presbyterian Church when none were scheduled at Dapto. He is reputed to have been one of the first elders of the Dapto-Albion Park Presbyterian Church. George McPhail's character and final illness was recorded by the Illawarra Mercury in his obituary dated July 18th 1905. The following passage has been extracted from that article:

'...the character of the ideal Scotch elder at "home" was well
exemplified in his unyielding principles, broadened, however by the
absence of Scotland, and the freer atmosphere on in which this new country
rejoices. He was of a genial but firm turn of mind, on whose advice was
much sought after, and appreciated. His memory of the early years of
the district was clear, and nothing seemed to delight him more than to tell
an appreciative audience of these modern days, his stirring experience
of the earlier times. Strong-minded, and even wilful when opposed,
kind and generous when required, he was ever hale, hearty and vigorous
in everything he did. A year and a half ago, the first symptoms of ill
health began to show; but he was too rugged of disposition
to easily give in, and, as we have said it was only a few weeks
ago that symptoms of breaking up began to be exhibited.
His last illness was short, and we understand he passed
away painlessly at the last, leaving a widow and a large number
of children to mourn the loss, while they must ever revere the memory
of one of the Illawarra's successful sons. The funeral will take
place this afternoon, the deceased being buried in the
Presbyterian Portion of the Wollongong Cemetery.' (Illawarra Mercury, 1905)

George McPhail wrote his last will and testament on July 10th 1905 and passed away a week later. he appointed his wife Elizabeth McPhail, his son, George Alexander McPhail, and son-in-law, William Menzies as trustees and executors of his well. His will stated the he wishes for Elizabeth to:

'...possess and enjoy the house, farm and everything as it then stood at Stan Dykes with the intent that she might continue to reside on in the house and enjoy everything therein and thereabout for her life.'

After Elizabeth's death George wished for the property to pass to George Alexander. Alexander died before his mother and so did not inherit the property. Elizabeth died in 1923 and trusteeship of the property passed to Mary Jane McPhail (spinster) and widow Margaret McKenzie (nee McPhail). Presumably Mary Jane was still residing in the property per her father's bequest. Margaret McKenzie died in April 1933 and Mary Jane appointed 3 new trustees including her surviving brother, John McPhail. In September 1933, the land was sold to John's son James Lachlan for the sum of 2000 pounds, which was paid directly to Jessie Ramsey (nee McPhail).

Lachlan married Amy Dunn in 1933 and around this time decided to relocate the residence to its current setting, closer to Sheaffes Road. Prior to the provision of modern road surfaces, the task of transporting goods to and from the former location to Sheaffes Road was arduous. Lachlan's decision to relocate the building meant the farm had via the long driveway, direct access to Sheaffes Road." (Century 21, 2017)

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The item has local historic value.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The item has landscape, architectural and aesthetic value.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The item has representative value.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Retain and conserve. No alterations should alter the views to the house from publicly accessible areas. Any fabric repairs should follow original details in form, material and finish. CMP is highly recommended. (WD Study): Residential development should be restricted within the identified curtilage. Development adjacent to the curtilage should be restricted to low density and should be respectful of visual and historical links to West Dapto Public School. Set back height and density controls should be enforced within the identified visual corridors. Buffer planting is desirable adjacent to the western and northern curtilage boundaries. The homestead is currently used as a rental property. Future potential adaptive uses include a gallery, restaurant, farm stay or house museum incorporating the dairy buildings. All options must be respectful of the site’s original fabric and setting. Land uses within the curtilage may include horse agistment, hobby farm activities or a public recreation area. Archaeological investigation and further historical research are recommended for the archaeological site to form the foundation for future site interpretation. Visual connections to West Dapto Public School and Glen Ayre should be retained.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanWollongong LEP 2009597605 May 10 2010-76 
Local Environmental Plan 199028 Dec 90 18311554
Local Environmental Plan  07 Jan 00 1/200069

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Wollongong Heritage Study1991B17-SWMcDonald McPhee Rogers Conacher FullartonRob Gansi No
Review of heritage items in Wollongong LGA20135976Zoran PopovicZoran Popovic Yes
West Dapto Heritage Study 200612HLA-Envirosciences Pty Limited  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2700104


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.