House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage



Item details

Name of item: House
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 52 Park Road, Bulli, NSW 2516
Local govt. area: Wollongong City
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
52 Park RoadBulliWollongong City  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The house at 52 Park Road is of significance for Wollongong for historical and aesthetic reasons, and as a representative example of residences exhibiting characteristics of Federation period. The substantial dwelling presents as having a high degree of integrity when viewed externally, and makes an important contribution to the townscape character and identity.
Date significance updated: 11 Jun 14
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.


Physical description: Single storey residence of the Federation period, important in the local townscape and a good example of fine residential architecture. Main features include hipped corrugated iron roof with gablets, a projecting bay with "flying gable", and a front verandah to the projecting bay, elements of the Federation Queen Anne architectural style. It is one of the larger more imposing houses on Park Road, Bulli with architectural townscape value. The high fence is an intrusive addition.
Modifications and dates: Possibly recently tiled roof, unsympathetic front fence construction.
Current use: Residence
Former use: Residence


Historical notes: The property was part of the Portion 18 Granted to William Bowman in 1841. It was part of land conveyed from Henry Deane to James Holden in 1874 and subsequently included in the Holden's Subdivision. Land was re-subdivided in 1944. LTO records indicate that it was in the ownership of William Henry Feneley, Medical Practitioner, and his wife Mary, in 1961, when it was mortgaged to The Illawarra Mutual Building Society. In 1971, it was in the ownership of The Illawarra Mutual Building Society. Since 1984 it is again privately owned. Registered development activities include new garage in 1962, building additions in 1965, and tree management in 2007 and 2011. (LTO CT Volume-Folios: 12325-114 OS Bk 1945 No. 399, Bk. 2574 No. 84).

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
SHR Criteria g)
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Retain and conserve. Views from publicly accessible areas should be restored as opportunity arises, and no further alterations should alter the views to the house from these areas. Any fabric repairs should follow original details in form, material and finish.


Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  07 Jan 00 1/200069
Local Environmental PlanWollongong LEP 2009617626 Feb 10 2010-76 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Wollongong Heritage Study1991B54-NMcDonald McPhee Rogers Conacher FullartonCatherine Macarthur No
Review of heritage items in Wollongong LGA20136176Zoran PopovicZoran Popovic Yes

References, internet links & images


Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2700515

Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.