Federation House, Former Anglican Rectory | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation House, Former Anglican Rectory

Item details

Name of item: Federation House, Former Anglican Rectory
Other name/s: House, Former Rectory
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 54-56 Park Road, Bulli, NSW 2516
Local govt. area: Wollongong City
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
54-56 Park RoadBulliWollongong City  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The house at 54-56 Park Road is of significance for Wollongong for historical and aesthetic reasons, as a representative example of Federation period residential architecture in the area and for its former use as Anglican rectory of the adjacent St Augustines Church. In spite of painted walls, replaced roofing and other modifications, the substantial dwelling presents as having a high degree of integrity when viewed externally, and makes a very important contribution to the townscape character and identity.
Date significance updated: 13 Feb 18
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The property is located on the northern side of Park Road and adjacent to the east alignment of Turnbull Lane Bulli. The property is approximately 650 metres from Bulli Beach and approximately 400 metres to Princes Highway and Bulli shopping centre. The house at 54-56 Park Road is a single storey Federation Queen Anne vernacular brick house in established garden setting. The house underwent series of alterations as roofing was replaced, walls painted and windows replaced, however, it could feasibly be restored to a high quality outcome. This building features extensive verandahs and awning roofs to the south (street) elevation. The building is asymmetrical in plan and elevation, with the projecting bay window and gable to the southern elevation contrasted by the deeply recessed verandah with delicate timber detailing. The roof form is hipped to the south-west end, intersected by a similar hipped roof which covers the main living areas and is oriented East West, and from under which the verandah roof projects.
Modifications and dates: The original bay window and slates removed.
Current use: Residence
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: Until the 1880s, Bulli did not have a public cemetery and the nearest public burial ground was Wollongong. An unsuitable site was selected in 1868, but condemned shortly after. ln 1877 or 1878, the Anglican Authorities purchased 2 acres from James Holden esq. for 30 pounds for a burial ground for all Protestants. This site also became the site for St Augustine Anglican Church of Australia (See item 2700036 for more information) which was first mooted at a tea meeting at the Woonona School of Arts in July 1979.

In 1882 the tender of Orphin and Newson at 800 pounds was accepted for a brick building to seat 230, to design by E T Blacket. The Foundation Stone was laid on 26 April 1882 by Very Rev. W. Cowper, M A Dean of Sydney. On 13 December 1882, Church was opened and dedicated by the Rt. Rev. G. H. Stanton, D D Bishop of North Queensland. On 22 October 1884 it was consecrated by the Most Rev. A. Barry, D D Archbishop of Sydney, Primate of Australia. The remains of 60 of the 81 miners killed in the Bulli mine explosion in 1887 (although most of them were Wesleyans) were buried in the churchyard. A Memorial Obelisk erected in 1888 in memory of the disaster stands nearby (see SHI database no. 2700037 for more information). A parish hall was constructed commencing in August 1899, built in hollow brick with a shingle roof.

The Rectory was built by at least 1904 when the historic newspapers report an accident on the rectory verandah (South Coast Times and Wollongong Argus, 17 September 1904). The first resident rector was Rev H.W. Taylor MA.

On 5 December 1971, a new Rectory was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. G. R. Delbridge, Th. Schol. M A C E, Bishop of Wollongong.The house was likely transferred into private ownership at this time. Registered development activities include a new swimming pool in 1972, alterations and additions in 2005, and tree management in 2012.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Local
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Local
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Local
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Local
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Retain and conserve. Restore original elements as opportunitites arise. Any eventual further alterations should reconstruct original details and not impact on the (already very limited) views to the house from publicly accessible areas. Fabric repairs and maintenance should follow original details in form, material and finish. Additions and alterations should be confined to rear areas.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  07 Jan 00 1/200069
Local Environmental PlanWollongong LEP 2009617726 Feb 10 2010-76 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Wollongong Heritage Study1991B55-NMcDonald McPhee Rogers Conacher FullartonCatherine Macarthur No
Review of heritage items in Wollongong LGA20136177Zoran PopovicZoran Popovic Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2700516


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.