Guinerys Port Kembla Hotel | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Guinerys Port Kembla Hotel

Item details

Name of item: Guinerys Port Kembla Hotel
Other name/s: "Guinery" Port Kembla
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Hotel
Primary address: 54-58 Wentworth Street, Port Kembla, NSW 2505
Local govt. area: Wollongong City
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
54-58 Wentworth StreetPort KemblaWollongong City  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Guinerys Port Kembla Hotel is of significance for the local area for historical, aesthetic and reasons of rarity and representativeness. The hotel is as an example of Federation Free Style purpose built hotel in the area. The hotel was in continous use for over 120 years. It is a local landmark that strongly contributes to the townscape and the area character, and its fabric has the potential to interpret the history of the locality. The integrity of the fabric presents as high when viewed externally. It has important associations with its Architect Thomas Wilson Hodgson.
Date significance updated: 31 Dec 19
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Architect Thomas Wilson Hodgson.
Construction years: 1913-1917
Physical description: Port Kembla Hotel is a three storey L-shaped corner hotel building with readily apparent features of the Victorian Boom architectural style. The hotel was built c. 1913-1917 in rendered masonry with skillion corrugated iron roof obscured behind the parapet. The façade comprises a number of notable decorative features, including the dominant corner pediment with precast shell, ball and finial motifs, the balustraded parapet with intertwinned hypertrophied shell motifs, the decorative string above the second floor with alternated tympana and festoon motifs above each window on this level. Windows are double hung 1/1, with Ionic pylon motifs in between, on the second floor framed with contrasting rectangular render frames and with rendered decorative sills with skirt. On the first floor, the sills are sloping and no other decoration was used. On the ground floor, early or original doors and historical tiles survive. Internally, few original features remain. Tiles on the gorund level are also an addition.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Most of the façade and interior survive, including ornaments, which is rare. The hotel is fully operational. It operated as a pub, until legislation forced pubs to offer accommodation, thus becoming "hotels" (see Custom section).
Modifications and dates: Council records include alterations in 1960, 1977 and 1997, 3 new garages in 1961, and new signage in 1984.
Current use: Hotel
Former use: Hotel/pub

History

Historical notes: Land is part of the original Grant to David Allan in 1817, comprising 2200 acres. It was part of the first Five Islands Subdivision of 1909 and probably not developed until 1913 when it was registered in ownership of Denis Manion of Sydney, Insurance Inspector and Nominee in Primary Application 16021, and then transferred to Port Kembla Land & Building Co Pty Ltd. (Conversely, R Irving in 20th Century Architecture in Wollongong dates this building to the 1890s).
It appears that in 1908 there were no Hotels operating in Port Kembla. However by at least 1914 it appears that the Hotel in question was known as "Murphy's Hotel" and was owned by Mr and Mrs Murphy. This seems to support the development of the land around 1913. The original Architect was Thomas Wilson Hodgson. Their daughter Nellie reportedly married William Raftery of Dapto, in 1917 shortly before the license was transferred to his name. Murphy's Hotel seemed to have a reputation of being a rough Hotel for working men. In February 1917, Lots 31 and 32 of this subdivision were also sold to Tooths Co. The Raftery family also seemed to be associated with the Albion Park Commercial Hotel. It was subsequently transferred to William Lindsay of Scarborough in 1920, in the licensing Court it was known as "The Port Kembla Hotel" at this time.
Registered leases to Publicans include: 1917 to William Raftery, 1920 to James Lindsay, 1929 to Maude Andrews, Widow, in 1932 to William McKuen, 1934 to Charles Williams, in 1934, 1941 and 1946 to Stephen G Guinery, in 1964 to Eileen Guinery of Port Kembla, in 1970 and 1980 to Stephen J Guinery. The name Guinery is a consequence of the over 50 years of lease by this family. It has since changed hands. LTO/LPI CT Vol-Fols. 8466-191, 5969-45, 2400-244, PA 16021. Council records include alterations in 1960, 1977 and 1997, 3 new garages in 1961, and new signage in 1984.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The item has historic value, showing continued provision of accommodation and liquor services in Port Kembla for over a century.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The Hotel is associated with its designer, prominent architect Thomas Wilson Hodgson.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The item has landmark and townscape value. Its presence at the top of the hill at the junction of Wentworth Street and Jubilee Road contributes to the building’s landmark qualities.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The item has rarity in local area, due to its architectural style, aesthetic, landmark and historic qualities.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The item has representative value for its age and type of building.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Additions and alterations should be limited to the interior and the inner courtyard. The hotel use contributes to the significance and should be retained. Façade elements and any original or early features, internal or external, should be retained in situ. Any required signage must not dominate the elevations.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan"Guinery" Port Kembla Hotel642126 Feb 10 2010-76 
Local Environmental Plan  07 Jan 00 1/200069

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Wollongong Heritage Study1991B15-PKMcDonald McPhee Rogers Conacher FullartonRob Gansi No
Review of heritage items in Wollongong LGA20136421Zoran PopovicZoran Popovic Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2700595


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.