Scottish Hospital main hospital building - Full LEP list - Desc Further Comments | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Scottish Hospital main hospital building - Full LEP list - Desc Further Comments

Item details

Name of item: Scottish Hospital main hospital building - Full LEP list - Desc Further Comments
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Nursing Home
Primary address: 2 Cooper Street, Paddington, NSW 2021
Local govt. area: Woollahra
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
2 Cooper StreetPaddingtonWoollahra  Primary Address
74 Brown StreetPaddingtonWoollahra  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The Scottish Hospital, a complex of buildings of which the earliest structure is now almost entirely enclosed in Federation Arts and Crafts style accretions dated 1903, incorporates an early two storey mansion dating from the 1840s. The remnants of this building hold high historical and social significance for the place it previously held as the finest mansion in the area. Although the original residence, 'which boasted the most extensive outbuildings in Paddington', is now hidden in front by the 1903 and 1936 additions, and is now rendered with rough-cast, parts of the earlier building are still visible at the rear, overlooking the terraces which gave the house its name. The main hospital building has high social significance for the part it played in the social structure of the community, and has some architectural significance for the Arts and Crafts remodelling of the building as a whole. The Hospital is situated at the top of a well maintained terraced garden which contains many mature trees over one hundred years old.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: George Sydney Jones
Builder/Maker: Unknown
Construction years: 1849-1903
Physical description: The original block of the Scottish Hospital consists of a group of buildings in the Federation Arts and Crafts style, situated on a large site in Cooper Street. The original building dated 1849, was extended in 1936 and is now hidden behind these additions. Originally an impressive two storey brick and stone mansion constructed for Judge Kinchella and set on a wooded hillside with terraced gardens, the mansion which has been extended at the front and sides is now only visible at the rear. The 1936 additions saw the original building, along with the additions, rendered with rough-cast. At this time the original slate roof was also changed to red terra-cotta tiles. The garden facade is asymetrical with gabled and hipped projections breaking through the two storey verandah which is detailed in timber on th first floor, while the ground floor has brick detailed columns. The original building has segmented arch heads with label moulds to timber double hung windows and french doors, while the additions have square heads. A two storey verandah is located on the western face of the original building, and brick topped chimneys break through the high pitched roof and feature multiple terracotta pots. The Cooper Street frontage contains a two and a half storey ward and a single storey entrance opening directly onto the street. The windows to this facade feature segmented arch heads to double hung windows, decorative window hoods and grilles to ground floor and basement windows. The interior of the older wing features pressed metal ceilings and a timber staircase with timber balustrade and newel posts. Style: Federation Arts and Crafts External Materials: Brick, roughcast render, terra-cotta roof , timber doors and windows, timber balustrade, verandah posts and shingles. Internal Materials: Brick walls, plastered, pressed metal ceilings, timber staircase.
Modifications and dates: The original building was extended in 1936 to provide further ward accommodation. A large concrete block structure constructed in 1966 to the east of the main block has generating rooms located under operating theatres. A new three storey red brick ward was constructed in 1974 at the south western edge of property and features a metal clad mansard style enclosing the top floor.
Further information: Full LEP description - Scottish Hospital - main hospital building, grounds, gardens, terracing, 3 Moreton Bay Figs, Port Jackson Fig, Norfolk Isalnd Pine, Weeping Lilli Pilli, Holm Oak Summary statement of cultural significance from the NBRS Addendum to the Conservation Management Plan.

The Scottish Hospital and its site have historic, aesthetic and social significance at a local and possibly State level. The Hospital is historically significant for its evidence of caring for the sick in New South Wales and its associations with historically significant persons John Edye Manning, Henry Burton Bradley, George Sydney Jones and Sir Alexander MacCormick and with the welfare activities of the Presbyterian Church. It is representative of small private hospitals that began functioning in Sydney in the early 20th century, and of those private hospitals that operated from converted inner city mansions.

The cultural landscape at The Scottish Hospital site is historically significant at a State level for its strong association with a number of individuals and families important in the development of Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs and of private health care in New South Wales.

The landscape of The Scottish Hospital site has the ability to reflect particular design trends and planting styles for its type of garden over the period of its development.

The mixed planting of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs, together with the vistas and views have produced a landscape with considerable character, which is now in stark contrast with the garden’s more highly developed urban surroundings.

The landscape at the Scottish Hospital site has the potential to yield information that will contribute to an understanding of NSW’s cultural history. The garden has archaeological, educational and interpretative potential as a resource for the study of subjects such as architecture, design, social history, landscape history and horticulture for present and future generations of Australians.[NBRS]
Current use: Nursing home
Former use: Mansion and gardens and fromer hospital

History

Historical notes: The original building dates from 1849 and was built for Judge Kinchella and called the Terraces. In 1926 Sir Alexander MacCormick donated the building and grounds to the Presbyterian Church as the Scottish Hospital. The gift was a memorial to his son killed in action during World War I. Ratebooks indicate that a hospital was already functioning on this site in 1902-3 and was owned by Dr Craigon. There was aparently also a house on the sthe same site owned by Mrs England. The building was extended in 1936 to provide more ward accomodation. The Arts and Craft style of the existing building indicates that the original 1849 building has either been extended and altered to the extent that is not in evidence or has been demolished. The hospital building was further extended in1966 and in 1974 a new building was constructed in the southern portion of the site. The hospital is still owned and operated by the Presbyterian Church of Australia.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Emergence of building styles-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Domestic life-Activities associated with creating, maintaining, living in and working around houses and institutions. A place to live-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Social institutions-Activities and organisational arrangements for the provision of social activities Cultural and social life-

Recommended management:

As the complex contains a range of buildings dating from the mid nineteenth century up to the present day, it is rcommended that a Heritage Report be prepared prior to any proposals for new work. There should be no alterations which adversely impact on the form, composition or materials of the main hospital building. The rendered facade of the building should be well maintained and remain in its present form with no alterations to window or door openings, external timber detailing or internal fixtures and fittings such as original staircases and ceilings. There should be no changes which alter the roofline or the general appearance of the main building. Any alterations to the newer buildings on the site should take consideration of the style and composition of the main building and the retention of all trees and garden on the site.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanWoollahraLEP 199510 Mar 95 28 
Local Environmental PlanWoollahra LEP 201424523 May 15   
Within a conservation area on an LEPPaddington HCALEP 199510 Mar 95 28 
Heritage studyWoollahra    

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Woollahra Heritage Study 19951995143.0380ASchwager BrooksSchwager Brooks No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenNoel Bell Ridley Smith & Partners Pty Ltd2001The Scottish Hospital Conservation Plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2710025


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.