Rectory of St Marks church - Full LEP listing - Description in Further Comments | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Rectory of St Marks church - Full LEP listing - Description in Further Comments

Item details

Name of item: Rectory of St Marks church - Full LEP listing - Description in Further Comments
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Presbytery/Rectory/ Vicarage/Manse
Primary address: 53 Darling Point Road, Darling Point, NSW 2027
Local govt. area: Woollahra
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
53 Darling Point RoadDarling PointWoollahra  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The Church and Rectory buildings represent some of the earliest examples of 'Academic Gothic Revival' style architecture in Sydney. They are outstanding examples of this style, which was promoted by Bishop Broughton and facilitated the extraordinary abilities of Edmund Thomas Blacket, who was to become Australia's leading exponent of ecclesiastical design. Though one of the earliest major works of Blacket, the Church remains one of his best known and successful designs.

St Mark's Church and Rectory are given added prominence by their siting and their elevated position. The tower and spire of the Church have always been a dominant landmark on the Darling Point ridge since their construction and retain a visual prominence from many vantage points, despite the surrounding modern high-rise development. The quality of the materials and workmanship as well as the patina of age and use that has mellowed the fabric of the Church and Rectory combined with the character of the surviving sandstone and iron fencing details has produced an outstanding streetscape of the early Victoria era, which despite the loss of some interesing buildings retains much of the Romantic English Village character depicted in several early drawings and water colours of Darling Point Road.
Date significance updated: 23 Jan 06
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Edmund T Blacket
Physical description: The Rectory is located within its original curtilage (less the area resumed for road widening) and contains early landscape features and outbuildings of significance including an early stable structure and privy adjoining an early sandstone retaining wall.

Early Victorian 'Rustic Gothic Revivial' Villa constructed in 1849, with substantial additions in 1873 and 1879, built of Sydney sandstone and rendered brickwork with hardwood shingled and corrugated iron gabled roofs and dormers.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
St Mark's Rectory is a rare surviving early 'Victoria Rustic Gothic Revival' villa with significant historic and aesthetic values. The quality of the building is based on its design, materials and workmanship of the external and internal building fabric from the early periods of construction.
Date condition updated:23 Jan 06
Further information: Full LEP description - Rectory of St Marks church, out-buildings, grounds, gardens, stone fence, gateposts, gate.
Current use: Rectory
Former use: Rectory

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The establishment of a parish in the eastern suburbs of Sydney in the 1840s indicates the growth of Sydney beyond the city boundaries and the expansion of the Established Church through the patronage and influence of wealthy colonial merchant families. Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, the Church has maintained associations with many important and influential members of Sydney society, some of whom have acted as church wardens and parish councillors.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The St Mark's Anglican Church Group embodies the establishment, evolution and growth of the Anglican Church in Sydney from the time of Bishop Broughton to the present. The Church and Rectory and the land on which they were built, have close associations with some of Sydneys most influential members of Colonial Society, particularly through the benefice of T.S. Mort, T.W. Smith, T.W. Smart, R. Tooth, W. Laidley and the influence of William Dumaresq and Charles Nicholson.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
St Marks Church is one of the best known Anglican Parish Churches in NSW. It embodies the continuation of the Christian spiritual traditional, through which it is particuarly significant to the congregations that have attended and continue to attend St Marks. The esteem in which it is held by the wider community is evidenced by the large numbers of people who visit it, and by its regular use as a favourtie venue for baptisms, weddings and funerals.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

St Mark's Rectory is a rare surviving early 'Academic Gothic Revival' villa, with significant historic and aestehtic heritage values. The quality of the building is based on its design, materials and workmanship of the external and internal building fabric from the early periods of its construction.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanWoollahraLEP 199510 Mar 95 281347
Local Environmental PlanWoollahra LEP 20149123 May 15   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenNoel Bell Ridley Smith and Partners Architects1996St Mark's Anglican Church, Darling Point - Conservation Plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2711077


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.