Balgowan - house and grounds | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Balgowan - house and grounds

Item details

Name of item: Balgowan - house and grounds
Other name/s: Nasova (1906-1918), Avoca (1919 - 1931)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 8 Annandale Street, Darling Point, NSW 2027
Local govt. area: Woollahra
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
8 Annandale StreetDarling PointWoollahra  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The house and the subdivision demonstrate a major historical phase in the development of Darling Point as a residential suburb in the late 19th century and the early 20th century. This phase saw the breaking up of the large early land grants and estates, in this case the grounds of the 19th century house ‘Como’, and the closer subdivision and development of the peninsular for good quality upper middle class housing.

Built c.1906, the house is a fine representative example of cottage built in the Federation Queen Anne style, a popular style for good quality homes in the early years of the 20th century. It demonstrates key characteristics of the style including its picturesque asymmetrical composition, dominant hipped roof forms, prominent chimneys, projecting two storey semi-octagonal balcony with pyramidal ‘candle snuffer’ roof, turned verandah posts, balusters and spindle work frieze.
Date significance updated: 28 Mar 06
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Not known
Builder/Maker: Not known
Physical description: Freestanding two storey Federation Queen Anne cottage built c.1906. The site, on the western side of Annandale Street, was formerly part of the grounds of the major 19th century house ‘Como’, which stood immediately to its north until around 1910. The house is sited well below the road level, which is retained by a substantial retaining wall creating a large sunken courtyard. The courtyard is paved with terra cotta tiles, which appear to date from the 1920s or 30s. The entrance stair on the western end of the street frontage appears to be original, but the timber balustrade appears to be recent.
The house is a picturesque composition of steeply pitched hipped roof forms with two different pitches over red brick walls. The ground floor external walls have recently been rendered in a dark red colour. The roof, which has recently been replaced, is clad with slates with unglazed terra cotta ridge tiles featuring finials and lions head terminals (probably not originally used). A projecting two storey semi-octagonal balcony on the front elevation features a ‘candle snuffer’ pyramidal roof supported by turned posts and a balustrade and frieze with matching turned balusters and spindles. The turned timber components are probably recent replacements, but may be based on the original design. The ground floor of the balcony appears to have been enclosed later. An entrance porch with verandah over on the southern side of the house has similar turned posts and balusters, but has arched verandah beams at both levels. A projecting hood on the ground floor of the street elevation has a slate roof supported by timber brackets and covers an area of tessellated tiles, which appears to be original. Timber elements such as window frames, verandah posts, balustrade and frieze and expressed rafter ends have been painted in a sympathetic colour scheme. There are coloured leadlight windows at the side of the house. Windows have decorative render cills.

There are prominent views of the house from the west, where it can be seen from New Beach Road and the foreshore of Rushcutters Bay. The rear of the site is elevated above a substantial concrete retaining wall, behind which is a concrete swimming pool constructed in the rear garden. The roof space has been converted to an attic, and a west facing gable end over a small projecting rear wing has been glazed and two skylights inserted into the west facing roof. The gable end treatment appears to be recent. The projecting bay has a facetted bay window on both levels with its own awning roof. The rest of the western elevation has a wide facetted projecting bay on each level which appear to be later modifications. There is a wide verandah at first floor level, and a narrower one at ground floor level with similar timber decorative details at used elsewhere on the house.

A freestanding brick garage with service rooms under built on the northern boundary of the allotment in 1929 matches the house in materials and colours. The garage appears to have been extended at a later date to link with the house. The house has four rendered masonry chimneys with decorative render work and terra cotta chimney pots.

Recent modifications include a low stepped rendered masonry wall and planter box on the street alignment with a painted timber fence over and a timber and slate ‘lych gate’ near the southern end of the street frontage. The timber fence continues on the southern side of the property. These elements are, however, sympathetic in design, materials and colours with the house and garage and their setting. The lych gate appears to retain the location of the original entrance to the property, and covers an area of tessellated tiles which appears original. There are other areas of tessellated tiles, which appear to be original, in the entrance porch and under the projecting hood on the front façade.
The house, including later modifications, is unified by a consistent approach to materials, details and colours to produce a cohesive and sympathetic whole.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Excellent
Date condition updated:28 Mar 06
Modifications and dates: 1929 - Addition of a garage with laundry, coal store and dog kennel under
1937 - Alterations and additions
1940 - Alterations and additions
1990 - Alterations and additions and new swimming pool
Current use: Residence
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: The site, originally known as Part Lot 12, was part of the site of ‘Como’, one of the 24 major 19th century houses which were built on the Darling Point peninsular. The allotment appears to be located immediately to the south of the site of ‘Como’, which was demolished about 1910. The house known as ‘Balgowan’ was built c.1906, originally with the name ‘Nasova’, which was changed to ‘Avoca’ in 1919.
This section of Annandale Street appears on contemporary maps with the name Johnston’s terrace and the northern section connecting with Yarranabee Road called Spring Street but, as at present, the whole street has been referred to as Annandale Street in Sands Directories since 1891.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Street patterns and subdivision-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The house and the subdivision demonstrate a major historical phase in the development of Darling Point as a residential suburb in the late 19th century and the early part of the 20th century. This phase saw the breaking up of the large early land grants and estates, in this case the grounds of the 19th century house ‘Como’, and the closer subdivision and development of the peninsular for good quality upper middle class housing.

The garage, built in 1929, demonstrates the growing use of the motor car, a factor which was to have a major influence on the design and form of cities and residences.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Does not meet the inclusion guidelines for this criterion.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The house is a fine example of cottage built in the Federation Queen Anne style, a popular style for good quality houses in the early years of the 20th century. It demonstrates key characteristics of the style and a range of characteristic formal and decorative elements and finishes including its picturesque asymmetrical composition, dominant hipped roof forms, prominent chimneys, projecting two storey semi-octagonal balcony with ‘candle snuffer’ pyramidal roof, turned verandah posts and balustrade and frieze with turned balusters and spindles.

The house also demonstrates the manner in which alterations and additions can be undertaken so they are sympathetic to the design and character of the original building to produce a cohesive overall result.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Does not meet the inclusion guidelines for this criterion.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Does not meet the inclusion guidelines for this criterion.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Does not meet the inclusion guidelines for this criterion.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The house is a good representative example of a Federation Queen Anne house of the period demonstrating key characteristics of the style described for Criterion (c).
Integrity/Intactness: The house has been modified over its history, but substantially retains the integrity of its original design and construction.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanWoollahraLEP 199522 Jul 05 52 
Local Environmental PlanWoollahra LEP 20147723 May 15   
Heritage studyTanner 01 Dec 97   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Darling Point Heritage Item Study2003 Mark Robinson  Yes
Darling Point Heritage Item Study2003 Mark Robinson  Yes
Preliminary Heritage Item Investigation - Darling Point1997 H Tanner & Assoc/ WMC  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenRosemary Broomham2001Darling Point: Thematic History
WrittenWoollahra Council Rate Books
WrittenWoollahra Council BA records

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2711214


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.