Tudor Lodge - house, garage, flagged driveway, paths & stone wall to Fairfax Rd | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Tudor Lodge - house, garage, flagged driveway, paths & stone wall to Fairfax Rd

Item details

Name of item: Tudor Lodge - house, garage, flagged driveway, paths & stone wall to Fairfax Rd
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 6 Fairfax Road, Bellevue Hill, NSW 2027
Local govt. area: Woollahra
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
6 Fairfax RoadBellevue HillWoollahra  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Tudor Lodge, built for and to the design of F.G.Deane c1926, has historic significance for its association with a number of important Australians including most notably Sir Percy Claude Spender; politician, diplomat and jurist, Charles Kenneth Landell-Jones, company director, and Archibald Wentworth Morton, Anglican clergyman.

The house has historic significance, exhibiting the separation of servant’s spaces from the public part of the house at a time when separate servants’ spaces were becoming less common.

Tudor Lodge is an austere example of an Inter-war Old English style residence situated on its original block of land. The house is in good condition and retains much of its original fabric and character, particularly the steeply sloping roofs, leadlight windows, chimney pots, garage and flagged driveway, paths and stone wall to Fairfax Road.
Date significance updated: 25 Mar 04
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Frederick George Deane
Construction years: 1926-1926
Physical description: Tudor Lodge is an Inter-war Old English style house located on a steeply sloping site fronting Fairfax Road. The house is two storey and set down from the street. A sandstone flagged driveway leads from the south end of the Fairfax Road boundary to the gabled garage at the southern end of the site. The drive continues on the generous arched entry porch.

The house is constructed of red bricks and the windows are typically leadlight casements. Entry doors are vertically panelled timber.

The roof of the house is steeply pitched, multi-gabled and clad in terracotta shingles. The gable ends are without eaves. The chimneys have moulded brick corbels and are finished with tall terracotta chimney pots.

Two transverse gables extend toward the street. The major gable covers an arched porte cochere, with a sleep out balcony at the upper level now infilled with leadlight windows. The arched openings are repeated in a small verandah to the north-east corner. Adjacent doorways are enclosed with glazed panel doors.

Upper level windows nestle beneath deep eaves lines at the gable ends, and are protected by strutted awnings. At the eastern elevation, glazed doors open to a Juliet balcony enclosed by wrought iron balustrading. The overall colouring of deep red brickwork with off-white pointing, orange terracotta shingles, russet trims and white window frames enclosing clear and leadlight glazing convey a ”picturesque quaintness”.


The garage is connected to the house by a wall with an arched opening. It features its original frames and sliding doors.

Internally the house retains substantial original detailing. There is a generous entry hall separated from the entry vestibule by a pair of arches and columns. A pair of sliding doors in an arched opening lead to the drawing room and the east. The dining room is to the west and the stair straight ahead to the north.

The drawing room has a beamed ceiling and a large chimneypiece flanked by leadlight casements. The original fireplace has been replaced. An arcade porch, which takes advantage of views to Clarke Island, is on the north side of the drawing room. It has been partly enclosed using leadlight windows matching the style of the original. The original sliding doors to the porch has been reuse to the enclosed area. The dining room retains a gas fireplace within the large chimneypiece, and is flanked by leadlight windows. The leadlights to the main stair feature heraldry in stained glass.

The main bedroom at the northern end of the house is generous in size, with a pitched ceiling and a small balcony overlooking the view. The original bay window has been enclosed to form a dressing room. Other bedrooms have similar tent formed ceiling created under the gabled roofs.

The service rooms are separated from the formal part of the house by the servants’ hall linking the dining room and kitchen. Upstairs the servants’ area includes two small rooms and a bathroom. The laundry is accessed externally from a passage between the main house and the garage.

Stepped garden beds with sandstone edging located between Fairfax Road and the house and the sandstone wall to the street appear to be original.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Excellent except for minor water leakage still occurring after re-roofing due to hail damage.
Date condition updated:06 Apr 04
Modifications and dates: Partial infill of north east verandah and enclosure of the sleep-out at first floor.
1999- Re-roofed in terracotta roofing shingles to match the existing.
Further information: Nomiated for inclusion on the State Heritage Register 2004
Current use: Residence
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: The land on which Tudor Lodge is built formed part of the original grant to John Piper in 1820. Frederick George Deane purchased the land in April 1925, which was transferred in his wife’s name, Phyllis Wootton Deane.

Tudor Lodge was built in c1926 to the designs of the architect Frederick George Deane, a registered architect in NSW.

Tudor lodge featured in The Australian Home Beautiful in its 1 February 1927 issue. Nora Cooper wrote:
It is a house that grows on one. At first sight, it seems but an unpretentious adaptation of the English farmhouse, of the sixteenth century, less rugged and picturesque of course, and more suited to the needs of a newer civilisation. But by and by it is apparent that in spite of the smooth wall – smooth by comparison that is – the trim garage, the sleeping balcony, and the deep sun porch with its promise of a delightful out-door loafing such as our ancestors never knew, Mr Deane has yet caught the spirit of those far off ‘spacious days’. In this Sydney home the same sturdy dignity, the same feeling of security, of dreaming age-old peace, is expressed as truly as it ever was in an Elizabethan manor.

In 1931 the Deanes moved to 55 Wallaroy Road, Double Bay and leased the property to Peter Macintosh. The property was sold in 1934 to Sir Percy Claude Spender (1897-1985), who was described as barrister–at–law. Sir Percy Spender was the member of The House Of Representatives for Warringah 1937-1951 and later became the ambassador to the USA (1951-9) and President of The International Court of Justice (1964-7). In 1949 the property was transferred to Edward Rolf Mann and his wife Tempe. The property was transferred to William & Co Pty Ltd in 1953 and in 1957 to Charles Kenneth Landell-Jones, Managing Director of Fortune Australia advertising agents. The property was transferred to Archibald Wentworth Morton and his wife Helen Aspinae Morton in 1966, an Anglican clergyman, who’s principal ministry was at Darlinghurst 1956-67 Anglican dean of St Andrew’s Cathedral 1967-71. Tudor Lodge has remained in the Morton family and is currently owner by their son, Dr Robert Morton

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site records the subdivision of the initial Bellevue Hill villas from the 1850s and particularly the ‘Colebrook’ subdivision brought about by improved transport, increased land values.
The house represents a good example of the second phase of residential development on Bellevue Hill. The residence is rare because of its intact state of the exterior, interior and garden layout.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The house is associated with a number of important Australians including: Sir Percy Spender, politician, diplomat and jurist; Charles Kenneth Landell-Jones, company director; Archibald Wentworth Morton, Anglican clergyman.
The architect and original resident, Frederick George Deane was acknowledged for his architectural and interior design skills at the completion of the residence and went on to establish a long-term interior design practice in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Tudor Lodge is a competent design in the Inter-war Old English style combining a high standard of external and internal detailing located on its original allotment..
The building form, with its pronounced vertical massing and landscaping, maintains the image of a landed gentry residing amongst wooded grounds established by larger residences previously dominant along the eastern harbour slopes.
The interiors employ a skilful manipulation of volume and light to create a theatrical juxtaposition of spatial grandeur at ground floor and medieval snugness in the upper sleeping floor.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The residence records the domestic expectations of the wealthy during the post war period, both in quality finishes and facilities and in the provision of servants quarters, a rarity in a residence of this size and date.
Tudor Lodge was a small version of its neighbours, but assumed the airs of its Bellevue Hill location by virtue of its design and quality of decoration that was featured in “The Australian Home beautiful”, February 1, 1927.
The harbour view has been maximised, recording the iconic significance of the water view inherent in Sydney society.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Nil
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
A rare example of an externally and internally intact example of the Inter-war Old English style of house.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
A virtually intact and prominent example of the Inter-war Old English style rarely identified in Council’s heritage register. It retains the particularly dominant steeply sloping terracotta shingled roofs, leadlight windows, chimneys pots, gabled garage, flagged driveway and paths.
Integrity/Intactness: The house retains all aspects of the inter-war Old English style, although the sleeping balcony and north eastern verandah have been infilled with glazing to match the original glazing elements
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Re-pointing of brickwork should be carried out using mortars to match the original. No further painting of brick threshold and pathways should be painted. Recurrent water seepage after the hail damage is being repainted

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanWoollahraLEP 1995 Am 3613 Jul 01 111 
Local Environmental PlanWoollahra LEP 20142323 May 15   
Heritage studyTanner    

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Potential Heritage Items in 2(B) zones of Bellevue Hill, Darling Point &Rose Bay1997 Howard Tanner  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenColin Brady2000Heritage study Tudor Lodge
WrittenHubert, P, Murray, L P.Hubert, P. Hubert, L. Murray2000National Trust classification listing Tudor Lodge

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2711244


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.