Redleaf Woollahra Council Chambers -LEP listing see Description,Further Comments | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Redleaf Woollahra Council Chambers -LEP listing see Description,Further Comments

Item details

Name of item: Redleaf Woollahra Council Chambers -LEP listing see Description,Further Comments
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Government and Administration
Category: Other - Government & Administration
Primary address: 536 New South Head Road, Double Bay, NSW 2028
Local govt. area: Woollahra
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
536 New South Head RoadDouble BayWoollahra  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Redleaf is one of the few surviving mid-nineteenth century grand mansions which once dominated the prominent harbour foreshore sites in Woollahra. The intactness of this original 1860s harbourside estate with its mansion, outbuildings, grounds and setting make it a rare survivor in the Sydney region.

Redleaf is a fine and rare example of the then fashionable mid-nineteenth century Victorian Italianate style. This style is clearly evidence in both the architectural and landscape design. The deliberate siting of the mansion on its raised open terrace surrounded by carefully planted elements framing views to the harbour survives largely unencumbered by later development.

The garden contains fine mature specimens of various species, once popular in large early gardens, as well as rare remnant examples of native species in the Sydney region.

Redleaf is associated with many important persons and families of nineteenth-century society in Sydney including those of Daniel Cooper, William Walker, William Busby and Frederic Lassetter.

In spite of twentieth-century alterations and additions, the Redleaf mansion survives substantially intact with fine examples of stonemasonry, plasterwork and joinery.
Date significance updated: 25 May 07
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: External

The original masion is constructed externally of dressed sandstone ashlar with dressed quoins at the external angles and carved stone sills and cornices around the openings. The bracketed eaves support a modern concrete tiled roof. The windows to the original structure are double hung and evidence exists on most of them for external shutters. Some shutters exist, but most do not. There is a painted stone balustrade and capping enclosing a small terrace over the entrance portico. This balustrading and capping is not original and would appear to have been added in the 1970s. Protecting the leadlight entry doorcase is an unusual cantilevered timber awning. This appears to be original. The window above this portico has been convered to a doorway with outward opening french doors. All five windows to the north front of the first floor have also been convereted to french door openings.

The 1960s council addition to the north, east and west is rendered brick with timber windows and a flat membraned roof. These additions completely obscure the original ground-floor elevations
Further information: Full LEP description - Redleaf - Woollahra Council Chambers, gates, gateposts, Moreton Bay Fig, Hoop Pine, Bunya Pine

History

Historical notes: House built in 1863 for William Walker, occupants include, J.B. Watt, H.C. Dangar, the Hon. William Busby, Frederick Lassetter, W.H. MacKay. It was purchased by the Woollahra Council in 1940 but occupied by the RAAF from 1942 to 1946, becoming Woollahra Council Chambers in 1947.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanWoollahraLEP 199510 Mar 95 281352
Local Environmental PlanWoollahra LEP 201421223 May 15   

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2711246


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.