House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

House

Item details

Name of item: House
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 28 Henry Street, Five Dock, NSW 2046
Parish: Concord
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Canada Bay
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
28 Henry StreetFive DockCanada BayConcordCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The building is a fine example of the early development of the area and with the many early and intact buildings in the street, is an important streetscape element.
Date significance updated: 15 Dec 06
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1900-
Physical description: A fine early substantial house, possibly the first significant house in this area. Constructed of face brick with a slate roof the building has a return verandah with turned posts and timber decoration supporting a bullnosed iron roof. The building is symmetrical in form with Federation detailing in the verandah elements.
Current use: Residence
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: 28 Henry Street was built on land that was, in the mid nineteenth century, part of Marshgate Farm. After a number of sales in the 1860s and 1870s, the land was sold in 1881 to George William Meredith. In 1886 the land was purchased by Roland Hassall. It is probable that the house was built by Roland Hassall soon after this purchase.

After the death of Hassall, the land was transferred to C. G. Woods in 1904 and then in 1905 to Samuel Davies. In 1911 the land was reduced to the current allotment, plus the strip adjacent to Henry Street later reserved for road widening, and sold to William John Stead. The Stead family retained the property until 1926 when Charlotte Stead sold the property to Mary Josephine Hibberson. Following the death of Mary Hibberson, the property was sold in 1942 to Mary Patricia Quin. Quin sold the property in 1955 to Giuseppe Albanese who retained the title until 1998 when it was transferred to his son Antonio Albanese. It was sold to the current owners in 2006.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Suburbanisation-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is a fine example of the early development of the area and with the many early and intact buildings in the street, is an important streetscape element.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a fine example of the early development of the area.
Integrity/Intactness: Intact
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanHouse24807 Mar 08 301464
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Drummoyne Heritage Study Review1996 Paul Davies & Associates  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenRobin McInnes2010Statement of Heritage Impact

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2891082


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.