Mill Complex (local listing) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Mill Complex (local listing)

Item details

Name of item: Mill Complex (local listing)
Other name/s: The Mill Centre
Group/Collection: Retail and Wholesale
Category: Shop
Primary address: 198-200 Wallace Street, Braidwood, NSW 2622
Local govt. area: Palerang
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
198-200 Wallace StreetBraidwoodPalerang  Primary Address
19 McKellar StreetBraidwoodPalerang  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

Includes the large two-storey corner building, the shop to the immediate south (Sugdens Pottery shop in 2008), and the café (former garage) at the south end of the complex. Two single storey gabled buildings to the west on McKellar street are part of the complex, The two storey stone mill at 19 McKeallr Street is included under this listing at the State level.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1839-1839
Physical description: Located on the corner of Wallace Street and Mackellar Street, once the main street of Braidwood, and originally part of the 1860s flour mill complex. Two storey commercial building with hipped roof, originally of shingles. Original building was of face brick, with rendered window treatment. Also featured ground floor verandah, in 1907 painted in stripes, but this was later removed. Building was extended to the south when a garage was built 1929.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Further information: '... Old two storey building on corner, with adjoining Service Station. The corner building at one time probably had a columned verandah which has been removed. The appearance could be improved if the roofs were painted. The Service Station section is painted White, and has the usual sign-writing thereon. National Trust Area (1) "B"' Source: Buckland, National Trust Report, 1966

History

Historical notes: Formerly known as the Mill Centre. Corner building was originally a shop for Hendricks & Jacobs, the Old Post Office Stores, established in 1829 and including a dispensary. This building was later owned by Philip Maher and the Nomchong family. Between 1860 and 1895 the Premier Store building was added (now Sugden/Hamilton Studio & Shop) and the garage was built in 1929. Garage now converted to restaurant. Garage was operated by Wright Motors from c1940 to c1965. The whole complex was owned by the Wright family for over 30 years.

Recommended management:

Maintain existing commercial use.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  19 Sep 14   
Local Environmental PlanTSC LEP 1991 22 Nov 91 1639846
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Braidwood Urban Conservation Survey1996160Freeman Collett & Partners Pty Ltd  Yes
Cox 1977?1977 Cox  No
Braidwood Walking Tour Guide0    No
Buckland 19661966 Buckland  No
Buckland 19661966 Buckland  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  HAP Application
Oral HistoryNLA Canberra NLA Canberra
PhotographNLA Canberra Images: NLA Canberra

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2920164


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.