Terraces, Two and Three Storey, Alpine Heritage Hotel | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terraces, Two and Three Storey, Alpine Heritage Hotel

Item details

Name of item: Terraces, Two and Three Storey, Alpine Heritage Hotel
Other name/s: Alpine Lodge Hotel
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Hotel
Primary address: 246 Sloane Street, Goulburn, NSW 2580
Parish: Goulburn
County: Argyle
Local govt. area: Goulburn Mulwaree
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOTA and B DP154253
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
246 Sloane StreetGoulburnGoulburn MulwareeGoulburnArgylePrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Alpine Lodge Hotel, restored Victorian two and three storey terrace houses with attics, makes an exceptional heritage contribution to the Sloane Street streetscape and is of high local significance. The buildings were erected by Charles Rogers, a prominent local identity, c.1880, at the rear of the Great Arcade.
An extension of accommodation at the rear is not in keeping but the streetscape is retained.
Date significance updated: 14 Jan 18
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Two three storey terrace houses and one two storey terrace. Rendered building with CGI roof. Open carpark to North.

History

Historical notes: c.1880. Built for Charles Rogers (1844 -1909) History by John Woolley - Australian Dictionary of Biography. - Charles Rogers (1844-1909), cabinet maker and merchant, was born on 18 November 1844 at 17 Sweet Apple Court, Hackney Road, Middlesex, London, son of Charles Rogers (1805-1864), furniture maker, and his wife Margaret, née Edmundson (1812-1870). After some elementary schooling he began training as a cabinet maker. About 1859 Rogers arrived in Australia with his family. They settled at Goulburn, New South Wales, where his father set up a small cabinet-making business and Charles continued to learn his trade. On 8 March 1866 he married Elizabeth Johnston, daughter of a veterinary surgeon; she died suddenly on 26 March 1877. On 12 April 1878 at Newtown he married Agnes Hair.
Rogers prospered and the cabinet-making factory employed thirty workers. He had his own network of horse-drawn vans to supply furniture to his agents dispersed from Cooma to Wagga Wagga. Also a retailer and importer, he established a sixty-horse coachline between Goulburn and Yass and ran a livery stable. A great lover of horses, he took pride in driving his own four-in-hand and enjoyed the good things of life. In 1879 he moved into new premises known as the Goulburn Arcade in Auburn Street, designed and built under his own meticulous supervision, and there he became the 'universal provider'. The reputed value of the building, site and stock-in-trade was £90,000. From 1885 his business enterprises expanded south with the railway.
Liberal and public spirited, Rogers helped all charities and religions. A Methodist, he became a trustee of North Goulburn Methodist Church in 1884, and a magistrate next year. He often criticized the local council and others where the interests of Goulburn and his own business were concerned. In the 1880s he led a deputation to the secretary for public works on the vexed question of differential railway freight rates. In 1908 he was president of the local branch of the Rating on Unimproved Values League.
Rogers visited England and made other sea voyages. In March 1900 in the Yass Evening Tribune he published a twenty-five chapter description of his tour to the Western Pacific islands. Rogers died of cirrhosis of the liver at Colombo, Ceylon, on 17 May 1909 while on a cruise. Buried in the Ceylon general cemetery, his body was reinterred in the Methodist section of the old Goulburn cemetery on 10 October 1909. He was survived by two sons and two daughters of his first wife, by his second wife and their three sons, who conditionally inherited his business and estate valued for probate at almost £35,000. They traded as Charles Rogers & Co. until 1947 when the department store was sold to Burns Philp & Co. Ltd. Known as Mates Ltd it still operates on the second site in Auburn Street.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanTerraces,Alpine Heritage HotelI28020 Feb 09   
Within a conservation area on an LEP  20 Feb 09   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Goulburn Heritage Study1983 Lester Firth Associates Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenWoolley, John.,1976Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 6, 1976

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2932117


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.