Post Box, Cast Iron, Dwellings, Semi-detached, Georgian, Federation and Victorian (C 1860) | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Post Box, Cast Iron, Dwellings, Semi-detached, Georgian, Federation and Victorian (C 1860)

Item details

Name of item: Post Box, Cast Iron, Dwellings, Semi-detached, Georgian, Federation and Victorian (C 1860)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Cottage
Primary address: 62, 64, 66 and 68 Grafton Street, Goulburn, NSW 2580
Parish: Goulburn
County: Argyle
Local govt. area: Goulburn Mulwaree
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT66 DP1103601
LOT1 DP194383;
LOT1 DP194824
LOT1 DP780970
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
62, 64, 66 and 68 Grafton StreetGoulburnGoulburn MulwareeGoulburnArgylePrimary Address

Statement of significance:

No 64: Iona, a Federation style brick residence is of local heritage significance for its quality of detail and intactness.
Nos 66-68: Two semi-detached single storey Victorian period cottages c.1860 of local heritage significance for their representative styling and relatively intact presentation.
No 62: post box - This elegant bell type cast iron post box was installed in 1859. It was designed by T. W. Levinge of the New South Wales Postmaster General’s Department. The first iron letter receivers in New South Wales were installed in the Receiving Houses of Sydney and its suburbs in 1856.
Date significance updated: 14 Jan 18
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Post box - Australian letterboxes were considered to have a more elegant appearance than those in London. Based upon a Belgian design, the boxes were circular with a Crown mounted upon the dome. The Crown was supported by ‘leaves’.

History

Historical notes: Post box - These boxes were designed by T. W. Levinge and initially manufactured by Robert Bubb and Son of Pyrmont. The company had won the tender to manufacture iron letterboxes for the Postmaster General of New South Wales in 1855. An amendment to the NSW Postal Act in 1867 introduced the severe maximum penalty of £50 to those convicted of damaging or destroying letter boxes.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanPost Box, DwellingsI19520 Feb 09   
Within a conservation area on an LEP     

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2933192


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.