Glen Innes Courthouse | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Glen Innes Courthouse

Item details

Name of item: Glen Innes Courthouse
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Law Enforcement
Category: Courthouse
Primary address: Grey Street, Glen Innes, NSW 2370
Local govt. area: Tamworth Regional
Hectares (approx): 0.01872
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Grey StreetGlen InnesTamworth Regional  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Attorney General's DepartmentState Government 

Statement of significance:

Glen Innes Courthouse has been associated with the provision of law and justice in the town and broader region since 1874 and is the second courthouse built in the town. The major expansion of the building at the end of the nineteenth century demonstrates the importance of Glen Innes as a regional centre. Glen Innes Courthouse is an impressive public building constructed in local stone and features a projecting entry porch with granite quoins and verandahs along the front façade. Glen Innes Courthouse is a building of high quality design and composition that forms an important element of the town's civic precinct.
Date significance updated: 30 May 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: J Barnet; LW Vernon
Builder/Maker: Mr Cairns; JN Josephson
Construction years: 1874-1874
Physical description: Glen Innes Courthouse is designed using the typical floor plan with a central double-height courtroom flanked on either side by single-storey wings. The building is constructed of rough coursed basalt with contrasting granite quoins. (Schwager Brooks 1993) The building features verandahs supported on slender timber posts along the front façade and hipped roofs clad in corrugated iron.
Other accommodation: Court Room, G/O, Chamber Magistrate, Judges Room, jury room, Crown Prosecutors room, Legal profession.
Construction: The Glenn Innes Court House is constructed in local stone and granite. The hipped roofs are clad in corrugated iron. The chimneys are constructed in rendered brick.
Interior materials: Timber joinery
Exterial materials: Basalt, granite, corrugated iron
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good. (March 2007)
Date condition updated:04 May 10
Modifications and dates: Various additions. (1879)
Single-storey wings and entrance porch added. (1898)
Current use: Courthouse
Former use: Courthouse

History

Historical notes: Glen Innes Courthouse was constructed in 1874 to a design by Colonial Architect James Barnet.

A Court of Petty Sessions established at Wellingrove was relocated to Glen Innes, ten miles to the east, in 1858. A courthouse was built to house the Court of Petty Sessions during 1859 to a design by Colonial Architect Alexander Dawson. By the early 1860s a District Court had been established at Glen Innes. By 1872, the courthouse was in need of additions. In 1873, a 'grand indignant meeting' was held to persuade the government to provide proper buildings for the courthouse. Premier Henry Parkes announced that a sum of £2,500 was to be expended at once for a new courthouse.

As a result, a new courthouse designed by Colonial Architect James Barnet was opened in 1874. When the courthouse was under construction, the townspeople petitioned the government to establish their town as a place for holding Courts of General Quarter Sessions. These were regularly held at Glen Innes from 1875.

With Courts of Quarter Sessions held at Glen Innes, case loads increased, putting pressure on the courthouse. Additions were made to the building in 1878, which included two rooms on either side of the courtroom. Glen Innes Courthouse is no longer used as a District Court.

With the coming of the railway in 1884, the population of Glen Innes increased, placing further pressure on the courthouse. In 1898, substantial additions designed by Government Architect Walter Liberty Vernon were made to the building. The additions included two new wings on either side of the courtroom and a new entry porch. Tenders were called in 1897 and awarded by JN Josephson. These additions and alterations brought the building to substantially what it is today.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Glenn Innes Courthouse was painted internally and externally and carpeted throughout.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages -
7. Governing-Governing Law and order-Activities associated with maintaining, promoting and implementing criminal and civil law and legal processes Administration of justice-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups -

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Glen Innes Courthouse has been associated with the provision of law and justice in the town and broader region since 1874 and is the second courthouse built in the town. The major expansion of the building at the end of the nineteenth century demonstrates the importance of Glen Innes as a regional centre. Glen Innes Courthouse dates from a key period of expansion of a major public works program in New South Wales during the last three decades of the nineteenth century.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Glen Innes Courthouse is associated with James Barnet, Colonial Architect of New South Wales from 1862-1890, who designed the original building, and Walter Liberty Vernon, Government Architect of New South Wales from 1890-1911, who designed large additions to the building in 1897.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Glen Innes Courthouse is an impressive public building constructed in local stone. The building has some fine features, including a projecting entry porch with granite quoins and verandahs along the front façade. Glen Innes Courthouse is a building of high quality design and composition that forms an important element of the town’s civic precinct.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
[Name] Courthouse is likely to have significance for the local community as a long-standing civic institution of the town/region.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The use of local stone is rare among courthouses designed by Barnet. The grounds of Glen Innes Courthouse include original stables, now used as a garage and records room, the retention of which is rare for courthouses in New South Wales.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Glen Innes Courthouse is a fine, representative example of courthouses constructed during the second half of the nineteenth century and displays the principal characteristics of the standard courthouse plan, with a grand double-height central court room and single-storey wings on either side.
Integrity/Intactness: Highly intact with a high level of integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenJohn Ferry & John Carr Architects Glen Innes Courthouse Conservation Management
WrittenNSW Department of Commerce2007Condition Assessments GAP Analysis Court House Report: Glen Innes
WrittenSchwager Brooks and Partners Pty Ltd1993Department of Courts Administration: Preliminary Heritage and Conservation Register

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 3080059


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.