Inverell Courthouse | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Inverell Courthouse

Item details

Name of item: Inverell Courthouse
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Law Enforcement
Category: Courthouse
Primary address: Otho Street, Inverell, NSW 2360
Local govt. area: Inverell
Hectares (approx): 0.0265
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Otho StreetInverellInverell  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Attorney General's DepartmentState Government 

Statement of significance:

Inverell Courthouse is an impressive example of Victorian Italianate architecture and features many fine details, including round arched windows with key stone mouldings and an oversized clock tower. Inverell Courthouse has been associated with the provision of law and justice in the town since 1887. The scale and grandeur of Inverell Courthouse is symbolic of the growing importance of regional towns during the nineteenth century due to expansions in mining and agriculture. Inverell Courthouse is a landmark building in the town and an important element of the town's civic precinct.
Date significance updated: 02 Jul 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: J Barnet
Construction years: 1885-1887
Physical description: Inverell Courthouse is an impressive and grand public building designed in the Victorian Italianate style. The main building, which houses the central courtroom, has a gable pedimented roof which is surmounted by a clock tower. Typical Italianate detailing includes round arched windows with key stone mouldings and simple pilasters dividing the external wall into three bays. Flanking wings have hipped roofs finished with simple gable parapets.
Other accommodation: General office, CLC office, Sherriffs office, Judge/Magistrates Chamber, library, witness room, Crown prosecutor's room, legal room.
Construction: Inverell Courthouse is constructed in rendered brick with hipped roofs clad in corrugated iron. The interiors feature cedar joinery.
Interior materials: Cedar joinery, marble.
Exterior materials: Rendered brick, corrugated iron.
(Schwager Brooks 1993)
Date condition updated:12 Oct 10
Modifications and dates: The clock tower was added in 1890.
Current use: Courthouse
Former use: Courthouse

History

Historical notes: Inverell Courthouse was designed by Colonial Architect James Barnet and opened in 1887.

A Court of Petty Sessions was proclaimed in Inverell in 1860. Construction of the Inverell Courthouse began in 1885 and the building was completed the following year. Furniture was installed in 1887 and the building was opened that year. The clock tower was added in 1890. The present building is the fourth courthouse at Inverell.

District Court hearings are currently held in Inverell Courthouse.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Civic centre-
7. Governing-Governing Law and order-Activities associated with maintaining, promoting and implementing criminal and civil law and legal processes Administration of justice-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Inverell Courthouse has been associated with the provision of law and justice in the town since 1887 and currently accomodates the District Court. The scale and grandeur of Inverell Courthouse is symbolic of the growing importance of regional towns during the nineteenth century due to expansions in mining and agriculture. The courthouse dates from a key period of expansion of a major public works program in New South Wales during the last three decades of the nineteenth century.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Inverell Courthouse is associated with James Barnet, Colonial Architect of New South Wales from 1862-1890, who was responsible for the design of all courthouses built in NSW during this time.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Inverell Courthouse is an outstanding example of Victorian Italianate architecture. The building features many fine details, including round arched windows with key stone mouldings and an impressive, oversized clock tower. Inverell Courthouse is a landmark building in the town and an important element of the town's civic precinct.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Inverell Courthouse is likely to have significance for the local community as a long-standing civic institution of the town.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Inverell Courthouse is an outstanding, representative example of courthouses designed by Colonial Architect James Barnet and displays the principal characteristics of his standard courthouse plan, with a grand double-height central court room and single storey wings on either side. The oversized clock tower is an unusual feature.
Integrity/Intactness: Moderately intact with a high level of integrity. Some original interior finishes have been removed, including the decorative courthouse ceiling.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenSchwager Brooks and Partners Pty Ltd1993Department of Courts Administration: Preliminary Heritage and Conservation Register
WrittenWarwick Upton1986Inverell Court House, letter 2 May 1986

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 3080071


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.