Narooma Courthouse | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Narooma Courthouse

Item details

Name of item: Narooma Courthouse
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Law Enforcement
Category: Courthouse
Primary address: Princes Highway, Narooma, NSW 2546
Local govt. area: Eurobodalla
Hectares (approx): 0.095
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Princes HighwayNaroomaEurobodalla  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Attorney General's DepartmentState Government 

Statement of significance:

Narooma Courthouse is a modest building with a T-shaped layout typical of small country courthouses in New South Wales. The modest materials used in its construction demonstrate the harsh financial situation of the time. Narooma Courthouse has been associated with the provision of law and justice in the town since 1934 and was the second courthouse built in the town. It was constructed as part of a group of civic buildings, including a police station and residence, designed by Government Architect Edwin Smith.
Date significance updated: 18 Oct 10
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: E Smith
Builder/Maker: E Millican
Construction years: 1934-1934
Physical description: Narooma Courthouse is a small and modest building which has a symmetrical floor plan having a central court room with flanking offices located at the rear of the building. Though constructed in modest building materials, the building is designed with a formal court room which has a classical gable roofed appearance with a covered entrance portico and multi-panelled, double-hung sash windows.
Other accommodation: General office, toilets.
Construction: Narooma Courthouse is constructed in horizontal weatherboards with gable hipped roofs clad in corrugated iron sheeting.
Interior materials: Joinery
Exterior materials: Timber, corrugated iron.
(Schwager Brooks 1993)
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good. (March 2007)
Date condition updated:31 Aug 10
Current use: Court House
Former use: Court House

History

Historical notes: A Court of Petty Sessions was established in Narooma in 1895, abolished in 1897 and re-established in 1910. An earlier courthouse had been constructed in Narooma at an unknown date, most likely after a Court of Petty Sessions was first proclaimed in the town. This first courthouse was located on Campbell Street and was later demolished to make way for housing.

The current Narooma Courthouse, Police Station and Residence were designed as a group by Government Architect Edwin Smith and constructed in 1934. Ernie Millican of Bermagui was the building contractor for the current courthouse. He was later a boatbuilder at Bermagui. The foreman was "Big Bert" (name unknown) who was a joiner and cabinet maker.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages -
7. Governing-Governing Law and order-Activities associated with maintaining, promoting and implementing criminal and civil law and legal processes Administration of justice-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups -

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Narooma Courthouse has been associated with the provision of law and justice in the town since 1934 and was the second courthouse built in the town. The courthouse was constructed as part of a group of civic buildings, including a police station and residence, designed by Government Architect Edwin Smith.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Narooma Courthouse is associated with Edwin Smith, Government Architect of New South Wales from 1929-1935.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Narooma Courthouse is a small country courthouse constructed in modest materials.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Narooma Courthouse is likely to have significance for the local community as an important civic institution of the town.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Narooma Courthouse is one of the few examples of courthouses designed by Government Architect Edwin Smith.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The simple form and T-shaped layout of Narooma Courthouse is typical of small country courthouses in New South Wales.
Integrity/Intactness: Highly intact with a high level of integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Narooma Court House
WrittenNSW Department of Commerce Architectural plans PC 379/5
WrittenSchwager Brooks and Partners Pty Ltd1993Department of Courts Administration: Preliminary Heritage and Conservation Register

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 3080097


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.