Tumut Courthouse | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Tumut Courthouse

Item details

Name of item: Tumut Courthouse
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Law Enforcement
Category: Courthouse
Primary address: Wynyard Street and Fitzroy Street, Tumut, NSW 2720
Local govt. area: Tumut
Hectares (approx): 0.04046
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Wynyard Street and Fitzroy StreetTumutTumut  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Attorney General's DepartmentState Government 

Statement of significance:

Tumut Courthouse is a modest example of the Victorian Italianate style, commonly used for public buildings constructed in NSW during the nineteenth century. The building has been associated with the provision of justice in the town for over 130 years. Tumut Courthouse is a representative example of the style of public buildings designed by Colonial Architect James Barnet and displays the principal characteristics of his standard courthouse plan, with a grand central courtroom and office wings on either side.
Date significance updated: 14 Oct 10
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: J Barnet, WL Vernon
Builder/Maker: W & D Boston, WV Ritchie
Construction years: 1874-1876
Physical description: The Tumut Courthouse is a symetrically designed Victorian Italianate building which consists of a central double-height courtroom flanked on either side by single-storey wings. All three pavillions have hipped roofs and a posted verandah along the front elevation. Typical Italianate detailing consists of rendered chimneys, arched grouped windows and four panel entrance door. Interiors feature intact joinery and furniture.
Other accommodation: General office, CPS office, store, witness room, legal room, Magistrate's chambers, jury room, toilets.
Construction: The Tumut Courthouse is constructed in rendered brick with hipped roofs clad in corrugated iron.
Interior materials: joinery, plaster.
Exterior materials: rendered brick, corrugated iron.
(Schwager Brooks 1993)
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good (March 2007)
Date condition updated:05 Jul 10
Modifications and dates: Alterations made c1960.
Current use: Courthouse
Former use: Courthouse

History

Historical notes: Tumut Valley lay outside the nineteen counties established by Governor Darling in 1826 and by the 1850s squatters were well established in the area. A Court of Petty Sessions was established in Tumut in 1846. A town grid was laid out in 1848, but the town remained tiny until the discovery of gold in the area in the late 1850s. Bushrangers such as James Kelly (Ned’s brother) lived in the area.

Tumut Courthouse was designed by Colonial Architect James Barnet and constructed in 1874-76. The contractor was W & D Boston. Alterations designed by Government Architect Walter Liberty Vernon were carried out in 1893 by builder WV Ritchie.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Institutions-
7. Governing-Governing Law and order-Activities associated with maintaining, promoting and implementing criminal and civil law and legal processes Administration of justice-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Tumut Courthouse has been associated with the provision of law and justice in Tumut since 1876. The courthouse is representative of the growing confidence in regional centres during the nineteenth century and the widespread perception that the local courthouse was the symbol of local respectability and a focus of civic pride.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Tumut Courthouse is associated with the work of two architects important in the history of NSW: James Barnet, Colonial Architect of New South Wales from 1862-1890 and Walter Liberty Vernon, Government Architect of New South Wales from 1890-1911.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Tumut Courthouse is a modest example of the Victorian Italianate style, commonly used for public buildings constructed in NSW during the nineteenth century. The building features arched grouped windows and rendered chimneys.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Tumut Courthouse is likely to have significance for the local community as a long-standing civic institution of the town.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Tumut Courthouse is a representative example of the style of public buildings desinged by Colonial Architect James Barnet and displays the principal characteristics of his standard courthouse plan, with a grand central courtroom and office wings on either side.
Integrity/Intactness: Moderate level of intactness and integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenNSW Department of Commerce2007Condition Assessments GAP Analysis Court House Report: Tumut
WrittenSchwager Brooks and Partners Pty Ltd1993Department of Courts Administration: Preliminary Heritage and Conservation Register

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 3080122


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.