Michelago Railway Precinct | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Michelago Railway Precinct

Item details

Name of item: Michelago Railway Precinct
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Primary address: , Michelago, NSW 2620
Parish: Monkellan
County: Murray
Local govt. area: Cooma-Monaro

Boundary:

The listing boundary is the property boundary to east and west running parallel to the tracks and is formed by the road to the north and the northern boundary of the former station masters residence to the south.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
 MichelagoCooma-MonaroMonkellanMurrayPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Country Regional Network (CRN)Private 

Statement of significance:

Michelago is an excellent example of a small late-Victorian station building and rail precinct dating from a period of major expansion of the NSW railways in the 1880s. The station building is a prominent and aesthetically significant landmark in Michelago which complements and augments the surrounding townscape and rural setting. While the station buildings (including the two detached toilet blocks and platform awning) are the most significant features at Michelago, there are several other notable items within the precinct, including the arrangement of fences and landscaping on each side of the station, and the moveable heritage items currently displayed in the signal box. (SHI database number 4280289, SHR 1192, Cooma-Monaro LEP 2013 listing no. I185)
Date significance updated: 07 May 08
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: F. Riley
Construction years: 1887-1887
Physical description: Extant items include the type 4, brick, standard roadside station building (1887) with detached toilet blocks, skillion roof signal box on platform (1917), brick platform face, station sign, fences, per way trolley shed, landscaping, rolling stock and moveable heritage items. There are also various items outside of the existing curtilage and south of the station building, including an unidentified timber structure on the Down side of track (possibly the remains of a small loading or unloading area for sheep and/or cattle).Michelago Railway Station BuildingTerracotta painted symmetrical brick building with corrugated iron clad gable roof with central transverse gable and two painted brick chimneys. Painted cream decorative barge boards, pendants and timber vents under eaves at gable ends. Concrete detailing (lintels, sills and plinth). Matching pavilions to either side with corrugated iron clad gable roofs facing platform. Three windows road side, two windows platform side. Ventilation lantern on north pavilion and painted brick chimney to south pavilion. Projecting central portico at road side (west) with matching roof and bargeboards and timber floorboards (no verandah). Corrugated iron projecting awning to platform with black and white painted timber valance. Painted square profile timber posts with decorative timber brackets to all four sides of posts. Concrete platform face and asphalt surface. (GML, 2016)Signal BoxPainted single room structure slightly raised on brick piers, with corrugated iron skillion roof. Single timber door.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Station building in good condition (GML, 2016)(Well maintained, lichen growth and minor deterioration to some sections of barge boards, some chipping to external paintwork—mostly to south end of main structure, water damage to inside, water ingress to south west eave of main structure.) Physical Integrrity Medium (GML, 2016)(Well maintained, key features intact such as signage, posts and brackets, doors and windows, platform resurfaced, original infill removed between pavilions.)
Date condition updated:07 May 08
Further information: Modern metal shed located in southern area near former turntable siding located outside the curtilage
Current use: Community use
Former use: Operational passenger station and goods yard until 1976

History

Historical notes: During the 1870s, residents of Cooma and surrounding districts lobbied the colonial government for an extension of the southern railway to Cooma. A survey was conducted in 1878 to explore several alternative routes and eventually it was decided to construct a railway line from Joppa Junction near Goulburn, linking Bungendore, Queanbeyan, Tuggeranong, Michelago and Cooma. A single line was opened to Tarago in January 1884 and by 1885 the line had reached Bungendore. The line to Queanbeyan opened in September 1887 and by December 1887 trains were running to Michelago (SRA, 1993; Victoria Design & Management Pty. Ltd., 1999).A contract for construction of the station building and Station Master’s house at Michelago was let to an F. Riley on 15 February 1887 and the station opened to rail traffic in the same year, on 8 December 1887. A 100-metre long brick platform was also built on the Up (western) side of the crossing loop along with a water tank and ash pit at the southern end. The early or original arrangement of the yard at Michelago included an Up side goods siding and a shed off the loop, and trucking yards on the Down (east) side of the main line, south of the goods shed (Forsyth, 1991; SRA, 1993).Later additions or changes at Michelago included asphalting of the platform in 1891, improvements to the trucking yards (stockyards) in 1913, and interlocking of the station (1917). The station and yard at Michelago was officially closed on 8 February 1976 (Forsyth, 1991; SRA, 1993).References:Forsyth, J.H., Stations and tracks: V3A: southern branch lines, SRA (NSW) Archives section, 1991.State Rail Authority of NSW Archives Section, How and why of station names, SRA, 1993.Victoria Design & Management Pty. Ltd. Cooma Railway Precinct: Conservation Management Plan & Concept Plan: Volume 1, 1999.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Michelago was one of the earliest station precincts constructed along what is now the Bombala line and is associated with a period of rapid expansion of railway infrastructure in NSW in the 1880s.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The station building is an excellent intact example of a type 4, standard roadside station building constructed in the late 19th century.
Integrity/Intactness: The station building and railway precinct retain a high level of intactness.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenForsyth, J.H.1991Stations and tracks: V3A: southern branch lines
WrittenState Rail Authority of NSW Archives1993How and why of station names
WrittenVictoria Design & Management Pty. Ltd.1999Cooma Railway Precinct: Conservation Management Plan & Concept Plan: Volume 1

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 3150041


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.