Crows Nest Fire Station | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Crows Nest Fire Station

Item details

Name of item: Crows Nest Fire Station
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Utilities - Fire Control
Category: Fire Station
Primary address: Shirley Road, Crows Nest, NSW 2065
Local govt. area: North Sydney
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
     
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Shirley RoadCrows NestNorth Sydney  Primary Address
Sinclair StreetCrows NestNorth Sydney  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
NSW Fire BrigadesState Government 

Statement of significance:

Important district fire station. One of the last fire stations to be built to the design of the Government Architect and one of a group of fire stations of similar architectural style and arrangement. A fine example of the Arts and Crafts style in a public utility context (Godden Mackay 1992).
This building is an interesting example of work of the Government Architect, WL Vernon and demonstrates his ability to design a civic building having an official character and harmonious in design and scale with its suburban surroundings. The careful attention to details and minor elements is worth noting. Makes significant contribution to the streetscape (RNE 1978).
Date significance updated: 17 Oct 00
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: WL Vernon 1907 & 1912
Builder/Maker: Grant & Matheson 1907
Physical description: Federation Free Style: a two storey brick building, with a hipped, tiled roof and a three storey tower on the north-west corner, and a gable on the north-east. On the ground floor on the Shirley Road (northern) fa├žade there are two engine bays flanked by the tower base on the western end, four matching windows on the eastern end. The openings to the engine bays are surrounded by rusticated sandstone with the overhanging projection supported by turned timber brackets. On the first floor above the engine bays is a verandah, with rough cast stucco with sandstone banding on the rear wall and a brick balustrade. Wrought timber posts support the roof structure. Four matching windows are on the eastern end under a brick gable. The square tower on the north western corner has a single window on each floor, with projecting sandstone lintels above windows, and sandstone banding at ground floor sill level. The 1912 addition towards the back (south9 of the building is noticeable due to its flat roof. The Sinclair Road (western) elevation has a narrow gable, rising to z third storey. All windows have 12 pane top sashes, and there is coloured glass in the ground floor upper sashes, between the tower and the gable. The Federation nature of this building compliments the surrounding buildings of the same style and scale (McMonnies 1988).
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Has been well maintained - modern out building is sufficiently apart not to detract unduly. No significant alterations or additions (RNE 1978).
Good (McMonnies 1988).
Date condition updated:17 Oct 00
Modifications and dates: Completion c1911.
Current use: Fire Station
Former use: Fire Station and residence

History

Historical notes: The original building was designed by WL Vernon, with a contract let to Grant & Matheson, and completed in 1907. The second stage, also designed by Vernon was completed in 1912 (McMonnies 1988).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Important district fire station. One of the last fire stations to be built to the design of the Government Architect and one of a group of fire stations of similar architectural style and arrangement (Godden Mackay 1992).
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
A fine example of the Arts and Crafts style in a public utility context (Godden Mackay 1992).
This building is an interesting example of work of the Government Architect, WL Vernon and demonstrates his ability to design a civic building having an official character and harmonious in design and scale with its suburban surroundings. The careful attention to details and minor elements is worth noting. Makes significant contribution to the streetscape (RNE 1978).
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The building is held in high regard for its links with the local community especially the families of volunteers/retained firemen.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Heritage Survey of Sydney Region Fire Stations1988 Jennifer McMonnies  No
Crows Nest Fire Station Statement of Heritage Impact1997 NSW Department of Public Works and Services  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written   
Written   
Written   
Written   

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4690019


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.