Lismore Fire Station | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Lismore Fire Station

Item details

Name of item: Lismore Fire Station
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Utilities - Fire Control
Category: Fire Station
Primary address: 139 Molesworth Street, Lismore, NSW 2480
Local govt. area: Lismore
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
     
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
139 Molesworth StreetLismoreLismore  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Fire and Rescue NSWState Government 

Statement of significance:

Important concentration of buildings forming an attractive period townscape. Setting enhanced by park and proximity to the river and the centre of town. Buildings of note on Molesworth and Magellan Streets include several public, civic and commercial buildings. The former Post Office building is a fine landmark on the corner of the two streets. The grouping marks the historic shift of the town centre from its original focus, north of Woodlark Street. Spinks Park grouping of special historical and aesthetic interest(Murphy Woodward Ashton, Higgenbotham Kass).
Date significance updated: 29 Jun 00
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: EL Drew 10-11-09
Builder/Maker: Brown & Jolly
Physical description: An imposing brown face brick two storey building on a prominent site which was designed in the Federation Arts and Crafts style but has been modified. The building is divided into three bays by engaged brick columns, and has a hipped tile roof with exposed rafters and gable vents. The first bay has a pair of timber sash windows with painted rendered sill on the upper level and two pairs of timber sash windows with a deep painted rendered lintel and painted rendered sill on the lower level and one of the windows has been changed to a narrow entry door. The central bay has an open verandah with timber balustrades to brick half columns and has two sets of French doors with fanlights on the upper floor. The lower level is a single engine bay with a painted rendered lintel with "FIRE" painted on it, above the timber and glass panel lift door. The third bay has a pair of timber sash windows with painted rendered sill on the upper level and the lower level is a single engine bay with a painted rendered lintel with "STATION" painted on it, above the timber and glass panel lift door. The second floor rear elevation has a timber addition with aluminium windows and the lower level has two engine bay metal roller doors with rendered reveals and a timber infill to one end. A metal and glass clad, second floor walkway, linking to a modern blonde brick building, which has aluminium windows with brick sills and a roller door on the lower level side elevation. A ground level entry door to the building is under the walkway. A carport with metal clad skillion roof is attached to the end of the modern building at the rear of the site, and the entire yard is concreted. The interior has original joinery, including windows, doors, architraves, French doors with fanlights, some picture rails, ceiling linings, and balustrades which are all painted. Approximately half the first floor is rented as a domestic dwelling (unseen). The remainder is firemen's quarters in the original layout (RNE 1993).
Modifications and dates: A metal and glass clad, second floor walkway, linking to a modern blonde brick building, which has aluminium windows with brick sills and a roller door on the lower level side elevation. A ground level entry door to the building is under the walkway. A carport with metal clad skillion roof is attached to the end of the modern building at the rear of the site c1984.
Current use: Fire Station
Former use: Fire Station and residence

History

Historical notes: Fire Brigade Act November 1884; site reserves 1888; addition reserved 1908; galvanised iron Fire Station by 1903; new station begun 1909; complete 1913 (Kass 1997).
The fire brigade was established in 1896 and housed at a temporary shed in Molesworth Street on the site dedicated for a fire station in 1888. A building of one floor with provision being made for an upper storey was erected at a cost of 917 pounds. The premises were paid for out of general government funds and were still incomplete in 1912, although occupied. In 1913, the second storey of the fire station was completed. It contained living quarters for the officer and accommodation for sleeping single men. In December 1913 Lismore became the second country service to receive a motor fir engine. Lismore's motor was demonstrated for the town dignitaries and the public at the North Coast Steam Navigation Company's wharf near the Fawcett Bridge. The residences of the volunteer members were connected by electric lines to the station in 1927, in order to sound house bells on the receipt of alarms. The Board installed a second fire engine at the station in 1943 (Fire News July,1982).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building has historical association with the local community since commencing its operation.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The building is held in high regard for its links with the local community especially the families of volunteers/retained firemen.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Lismore Heritage Study  Vincent Murphy, Andrew Woodward,William Ashton,Edward Higginbotham,Terry Kass  No
Thematic Outline of the NSW Fire Brigades1997 Terry Kass  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenLismore City Council1992Local Environmental Plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4690034


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.