Lindfield Railway Station Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Lindfield Railway Station Group

Item details

Name of item: Lindfield Railway Station Group
Other name/s: North Willoughby
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Primary address: Pacific Highway, Lindfield, NSW 2070
Local govt. area: Ku-Ring-Gai

Boundary:

North: 10m from end of platform; South: 20m from the southern end of the Signalling Hut; East: fence line along Lindfield Avenue; West: the property boundary fronting Pacific Highway (excluding shops).
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Pacific HighwayLindfieldKu-Ring-Gai  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 

Statement of significance:

Lindfield Railway Station is significant at a local level. Lindfield Railway Station has historical significance at a local level as one of the original stations along the Northern line. While there was some limited settlement in the area prior to this date, the construction of the railway encouraged rapid subdivision and the development of the township. Lindfield station has historical significance as a terminus for the duplication of the line in 1900 between Lindfield and Milson's Point. The Platform 2/3 island platform was one of the first of its type on the Sydney suburban and Blue Mountains lines, reflecting the increased use of the line during the period up to the 1920s and the need for more trains. The buildings are good examples of standard building types, are prominent features in the townscape and contributes to the cohesive character of the North Shore line with its homogenous, early 20th century railway architecture and landscaped settings. The drop slab concrete signals staff building is a representative example of this type of construction.
Date significance updated: 11 May 09
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: New South Wales Department of Railways
Builder/Maker: New South Wales Department of Railways
Construction years: 1890-1926
Physical description: Station Building, Platform 2/3 - type 11 (c.1900)
Station Building, Platform 1 - type 11 (c.1922)
Signalling Hut, end of Platform 1, (c.1926)
Platforms (1900, 1922)
Steel Platform Shelters (modern)
Footbridge (c.1922)
Moveable

CONTEXT
Lindfield Railway Station is located between the Pacific Highway and Lindfield Road, Lindfield, in a suburban setting. The station, located amongst a backdrop of mature trees, is comprised of one island and one roadside platform, each with an original station building. At the southern end of Platform 1 is a prefabricated concrete Signalling Hut. Spanning the three tracks and giving access to the platforms (as well as providing a pedestrian link between the two roads) is a large steel framed footbridge at the southern end of the platforms, currently undergoing major construction work to create a new station concourse (2009). Both original station buildings are undergoing refurbishment as part of this work.

STATION BUILDING (PLATFORM 2/3) (c.1900)
Exterior: On an island platform, the Platform 2/3 station building (c.1900) is a unique station building along the Northern line, with its exterior being an early example of an island platform building and a predecessor to the general Type A8 -A10 station design. Walls are of blonde face brick and are not tuckpointed. There is no moulded string course or architraves to windows and doors. Window sills and corbels from which the curved cast iron awning brackets spring are the only rendered elements of the station. The corbels are not of the standard type. The gabled corrugated iron roof is of a significantly lower pitch than other station buildings of this period. Two large brick double breasted chimneys, corbelled and with terracotta pots, are sited along the ridge. The exterior of the station is in very original condition, with no additional openings or infilled elements.

Interior: The interior of the Platform 2/3 building contains a high degree of original fabric and is in its original configuration, with a waiting room, ladies waiting room with adjacent toilets, men's toilets, and office. The southernmost room contains the original fireplace and timber mantelpiece, mini-orb ceiling, timber cornice, rendered walls with decorative air vents and a concrete floor. Other rooms are similarly configured, although other fireplaces have been infilled. The former ladies waiting room has a tiled floor, and toilets remain in their original configuration. Doors are four panelled, and large windows are double hung sash, although glass appears to have been replaced. The men's toilet at the northernmost end of the building remains in totally original condition, including rendered urinals, and illustrates the basic construction of these rooms with painted brick walls and no ceiling. A small storage room exists off this room.

STATION BUILDING (PLATFORM 1) (c.1922)
Exterior: Lindfield Platform 1 station building is a roadside station building, similar to the standard Type A8 design. Walls are of red face brick, tuckpointed, and feature moulded string course, architraves and window sills along the platform elevation. There is no string course on the roadside elevation. The corrugated iron gabled roof features exposed rafters, and the timber framed awning to the platform is supported by curved cast iron cantilevered brackets.

Interior: The southern room features a rendered wall with moulded dado, mini-orb ceiling with pressed metal rose, concrete floor and timber skirting. The fireplace has been infilled. Windows are double hung sash, with coloured glass in the upper window frames and fanlights. The remainder of the building has been reconfigured internally, removing a waiting room to provide new services - a men’s toilet, woman’s toilet, store room and accessible toilet. All these spaces have new finishes on walls, ceilings and floors, though some original windows/glass/door frames remain. Its possible (but unconfirmed) that original ceilings remain under the newer ones.

SIGNALLING HUT (END OF PLATFORM 1) (c.1926)
Exterior: Also known as the Signal Staff Building, the Signalling Hut is a precast concrete drop panel single-storey building with a colourbond gabled roof. Windows are timber framed in a variety of configurations (pivot, sliding, top hung, etc) while doors are of timber. The precast concrete panels give the appearance of a weatherboard structure. The northern end of the building has been extended with a hardiplank addition.

Interior: The interior is divided into office, work area and staff amenities areas for use by signals staff, but was unable to be inspected. A freestanding pedestal mounted manual drill usually associated with the building was not located at the time of inspection and may be stored in the northern extension of the building, or removed from the site.

PLATFORMS (1900, 1922)
Platforms have brick faces with an asphalt surface. Platform 2 partly rendered. Platform 1 (1922), Platform 2 & 3 (1900).

STEEL PLATFORM SHELTERS (MODERN)
Platforms 1, 2 and 3 contain a number of disparate steel framed, gable roofed, modern platform shelters. These shelters only cover a small central portion of the platform and do not have awnings which extend to the platform edge.

FOOTBRIDGE (c.1922)
The original footbridge (c.1922) giving access to the platforms still remains, but in a much modified state. The riveted steel girder construction still retains its original stair handrails and star type newell posts, while new access ramps and elevators have been built on the southern side of the structure. Stairs have new precast concrete treads. The name of the steel manufacturer was unable to be observed due to construction hoarding. A large station concourse, built on the original haunched beam construction was constructed in 2009.

MOVEABLE
Two cast iron bubblers (one at southern end of Platform 1, one at southern end of building on Platform 2/3); moveable canvas stretcher marked "Lindfield No.929"; 1989 old signal indicator diagram with sticker "Lindfield Signal Box - Last Shift Work 7 Oct 1994" (located in Platform 2/3 Building), Fitted timber cabinet next to fireplace in platform waiting room, PTCNSW signallers lamp, No 2179, Two framed RailCorp excellence awards, Timber-framed photos of locomotive, Timber-framed plaque – 22 October 1972, Cast iron grate and timber fire surround, High-level concrete and ceramic cisterns in men’s toilets, including chains, wall supports and piping, Early steel light fitting in men’s toilets, Early urinal trough in men’s toilets, Small timber footstool, painted red in c 1980s., Cast iron safe in concourse office
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Station Building (Platform 2/3) - Moderate Condition
Externally, the Platform 2/3 Building is in good condition and well maintained. Internally however, there is a large variation between the condition of rooms with some being in good condition and others poor. Many rooms suffer from flaking paint and general neglect, yet are all structurally sound. While their condition may be depleted, these interiors contain much original fabric. Only the former ladies waiting room has been well maintained.

Station Building (Platform 1) - Moderate Condition
Externally, this building suffers from a coating of anti-graffiti paint which detracts greatly from the fine nature of the brickwork. Works are currently being undertaken to the building to upgrade toilet facilities.

Signalling Hut (End of Platform 1)
This building was not assessed internally, and is no longer in constant use. The exterior is in moderate condition, and is suffering from some plant growth.

Footbridge - Moderate Condition
The footbridge is currently undergoing extensive renovations as part of an accessibility upgrade. Structurally, the original steel elements appear in good condition, but would benefit from repainting.
Date condition updated:08 Sep 08
Modifications and dates: 1922: Ticket window bricked up and the Overhead Booking Office removed and reconstructed.
1928: Full electric services were provided at Lindfield.
1930s: Concrete deck added to footbridge
c1993: Footbridge upgraded and covered
2009: Upgrade of footbridge currently underway.
N.d: Modern shelters provided on platform, along with minor recent improvements.
N.d: Signalling Hut modified, including insertion of timber framed hopper windows at the southern end (west façade) and upgrading of interiors with modern finishes.
2009: Platform 1 building reconfigured internally to provide womens/mens/accessible toilets and store room, with new finishes.
2016: Relocation of platform bubblers to beside building (plumbing), Bubblers also refurbished and new plinths provided.
2017: Bird Proofing, Landscaping improvements, Toilet refurbishments, Lighting LED replacements – All Vandalux and Pole top lights fittings replaced to LED fittings, KOP – Seats and Bins changed in accordance with KOP Catalogue
Further information: Shops located along Pacific Highway do not form part of the listing.
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Nil

History

Historical notes: Present day Lindfield Railway Station is located on the North Shore line. The ‘North Shore’ of Sydney can be defined as a relatively narrow strip of land extending from Milson’s Point to Waitara, a distance of approximately 20km.

In 1887, tenders were called for construction of a branch line extending south from Hornsby to the North Shore. The 16.8km section between Hornsby and St. Leonard’s was opened on 1 January 1890. Stations provided at the opening of the line included Chatswood and St. Leonard’s. A single line was constructed at the time. The line between St. Leonard’s and Milson’s Point (the terminus at the edge of the harbour) was completed 1 May 1893.

Lindfield Railway Station was opened on 1 January 1890. The style of station building provided at Lindfield at the time of opening is not recorded. The construction name was ‘North Willoughby’.

A single line was built from the outset, but by 1900, the line was duplicated between Lindfield and Milson’s Point. This allowed for a probable increase in train services on the North Shore of the harbour to Artarmon, Chatswood and Lindfield, where many trains were to terminate. The single line continued on to Hornsby at the time.

An island platform with standard brick station building was introduced to the North Shore line at that time (1900), one of the first of this standard arrangement to be used at many other locations in the Sydney suburbs and the Blue Mountains. These were provided at Lindfield in 1900. The Down main line platform was on the western side of the island platform with the up main line on the eastern side. The main lines converged at the Hornsby end of the platform and continued as ‘single line’ on to Hornsby. A goods siding was laid in adjacent to the Up main line platform. Crossovers allowed trains to terminate and for engines to run around their trains. A pedestrian overbridge spanned the tracks at the Milsons Point end of the platforms.

In 1909, duplication had been completed between Lindfield and Hornsby. At Lindfield, the trackwork was completely revised to allow for the down main line to pass around the island platform on the western side and continue on to Hornsby. Crossovers still permitted trains to terminate and return to Milson’s Point.

By 1922, further changes had taken place at Lindfield including a new side platform for the deviated Up main line, thus allowing terminating trains to use the former (Up main location) on the eastern side of the island platform. Still crossovers and appropriate interlocking were controlled by a signal box at the Milson’s Point end of the island platform. An overhead Booking Office was established on the enlarged footbridge at the south end of the platforms.

When the electrification of the suburban system was undertaken in 1926, Lindfield was on one of the first lines to be used by suburban electric trains. The line between Milson’s Point and Hornsby was electrified in 1927. With the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932 the Up Shore line received increased traffic.

The signals building at Lindfield was built using the pre-cast concrete drop slab construction developed by the Signal Branch. The branch undertook its own building program of works and used building materials and styles that usually differed from the station buildings and other structures erected by the Way and Works Branch.

The Signal Branch built the first signal boxes using the pre-cast concrete drop slab construction method in 1918. The first building were constructed using 15 inch wide concrete slabs manufactured in the Railway Department’s own workshops. In 1925 a smaller (10 inch wide) slab was introduced when the concrete workshops were relocated to Chullora. Concrete drop slab signal buildings continued to be built up until the War.

With electrification came automatic signalling and most signal boxes were closed. However, Lindfield Signal Box remained in service until recent years (as with other North Shore signal boxes, eg. North Sydney, Chatswood, Gordon) due to the need for local control of terminating trains. When the principal signal control centres were opened at Sydney and Hornsby, these local signal boxes were closed, including Lindfield.

There was a significant upgrade project undertaken in 2009 that provided lift access and new concourse/ticket windows.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Communication-Activities relating to the creation and conveyance of information Signalling and safe working-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Building the railway network-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Lindfield Railway Station has historical significance at a local level. The section of the railway line between Hornsby and St Leonards was opened on 1 January 1890, with Lindfield being one of the original stations along the line. While there was some limited settlement in the area prior to this date, like many areas, the construction of the railway encouraged rapid subdivision and the development of the township. Lindfield station has historical significance as a terminus for the duplication of the line in 1900 between Lindfield and Milson's Point. The Platform 2/3 island platform was one of the first of its type on the Sydney suburban and Blue Mountains lines.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Lindfield Railway Station has aesthetic significance at a local level. The station retains a good grouping of early twentieth century railway buildings that are still able to be appreciated within their original setting. As such they are able to evoke a former age of travel and also make a significant contribution to the character of the North Shore line with its homogenous, early 20th century railway architecture and landscaped settings. This significance is embodied in the visual grouping of the Platform 1 and Platform 2/3 station buildings, platforms, footbridge and signalling hut. The station contains a variety of railway building types and the Platform 2/3 building has particular aesthetic qualities being a predecessor of the standard Type A8-A10 buildings introduced post 1900, and is the only blonde brick building of its type within the northern network. The aesthetic significance of the place has been diminished by current (2009) works to the station buildings and footbridge.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Lindfield Railway Station is considered to be rare at a local level. The station building on Platform 2/3 is a predecessor of the standard type A8-A10 station design, its blonde brick construction being a unique feature. It has significance under this criteria because of its differences in architectural detailing compared to other later examples.

The station building on Platform 1 is considered locally rare as the only example of a brick roadside platform building on the lower North Shore line.

The Signalling Hut at the end of Platform 1 is also considered locally rare as one of the few remaining examples of concrete drop panel construction and the only example of this construction method being used on the North Shore line.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The platform buildings, platforms, signalling hut and footbridge are representative of structures built on the North Shore line dating from the 1900 duplication works.
The footbridge was identified as an item of moderate heritage significance in the comparative analysis from the 2016 ‘Railway Footbridges Heritage Conservation Strategy’.
Integrity/Intactness: The Platform 2/3 building joinery, wall and ceiling finishes remain relatively intact, with a number of rooms retaining original fabric including toilets, fireplaces and signage. The building is of sound integrity.Platform 1 building is intact externally but has been modified internally removing original features and finishes and changing internal room configuration.The integrity of the Signalling Hut building is good however interior modifications and adaptive re-use of the building have resulted in the loss of authentic interior detail such as paint finishes.The footbridge has previously undergone a series of major modifications and the station underwent a major redevelopment in 2009 during which much of the integrity and intactness of the original footbridge has been lost.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

1. Conservation principles: Conserve cultural heritage significance and minimise impacts on heritage values and fabric in accordance with the ‘Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance’. 2. Specialist advice: Seek advice from a qualified heritage specialist during all phases of a proposed project from feasibility, concept and option planning stage; detailed design; heritage approval and assessment; through to construction and finalisation. 3. Documentation: Prepare a Statement of Heritage Impact (SOHI) to assess, minimise and prevent heritage impacts as part of the assessment and approval phase of a project. Prepare a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) prior to proposing major works (such as new additions, change of use or proposed demolition) at all places of State significance and all complex sites of Local significance. 4. Maintenance and repair: Undertake annual inspections and proactive routine maintenance works to conserve heritage fabric in accordance with the ‘Minimum Standards of Maintenance & Repair’. 5. Movable heritage: Retain in situ and care for historic contents, fixtures, fittings, equipment and objects which contribute to cultural heritage significance. Return or reinstate missing features or relocated items where opportunities arise. 6. Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage: Consider all aspects of potential heritage significance as part of assessing and minimising potential impacts, including Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage. 7. Unidentified heritage items: Heritage inventory sheets do not describe or capture all contributory heritage items within an identified curtilage (such as minor buildings, structures, archaeology, landscape elements, movable heritage and significant interiors and finishes). Ensure heritage advice is sought on all proposed changes within a curtilage to conserve heritage significance. 8. Recording and register update: Record changes at heritage places through adequate project records and archival photography. Notify all changes to the Section 170 Heritage & Conservation Register administrator upon project completion.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register  18 Mar 10   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
State Rail Authority Heritage Register Study1999SRA919, SRA401 (Pfrm 2/3 bld), SRA688 (footbridge)State Rail Authority  No
Heritage and Conservation Register State Rail Authority of NSW199325Paul Davies for SRA  No
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 NSW Department of Commerce  Yes
Heritage Platforms Conservation Management Strategy2015 Australian Museum Consulting  Yes
Railway Footbridges Heritage Conservation Strategy 2016 NSW Government Architect’s Office Heritage Group  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenBob Taaffe NSW Branch Line Signal Boxes in Branchline Modeller
WrittenC. C. Singleton The Short North. The Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin. Various issues.
WrittenDavid Burke1995Making the Railways
WrittenDavid Sheedy Pty Ltd1999Inspection of Sites with potential heritage significance
WrittenJohn Forsyth Line Histories
WrittenL. Clark North of the Harbour
WrittenRay Love2009Historical Research for RailCorp s170 Update
WrittenState Rail Authority of New South Wales1995How and Why of Station Names. Fourth Edition

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4800184


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.