Pendle Hill Railway Station Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Pendle Hill Railway Station Group

Item details

Name of item: Pendle Hill Railway Station Group
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Primary address: Joyce Street, Pendle Hill, NSW 2145
Parish: Prospect
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Holroyd

Boundary:

North: RailCorp property boundary fronting Wentworth Avenue; South: RailCorp property boundary fronting Joyce Street and the northern boundary of private property at 158A-158B Pendle Way; East and West: 5m from either end of the platforms.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Joyce StreetPendle HillHolroydProspectCumberlandPrimary Address
Wentworth AvenuePendle HillHolroyd  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 

Statement of significance:

Pendle Hill Railway Station is of local significance for its direct associations with early 20th Century development of the local area and as part of the railway station redevelopment that took place during the quadruplication of the Main Western Line between Lidcombe and St Marys in 1943. The station buildings are of aesthetic significance as good examples of mid-20th Century railway construction in an urban context displaying distinctive elements of Inter War Stripped Functionalist style. They are competently executed and display many typical stylistic elements of similar station buildings throughout New South Wales and in the western suburbs generally, and are of the same construction as those of the neighbouring stations Wentworthville, Toongabbie and Westmead (demolished). These group of station buildings show effects of war time financial constraints. The site has historical significance for its association with the iconic Australian company Bonds, and the company's founder G A Bond who was responsible for the naming of the station and the suburb and starting a business in the local area, which would continue to contribute to the local economy from the 1920s until the present day.
Date significance updated: 27 Jan 17
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: NSW Department of Railways
Builder/Maker: NSW Department of Railways
Construction years: 1943-1944
Physical description: BUILDINGS
Station Building Platform 1/2, brick, type 13 (1943-44)
Station Building Platform 3/4, brick, type 13 (1943-44)

STRUCTURES
2x island platforms, brick faced (1943)
Footbridge, steel beam with RSJ steel supports (1944)
Kiosk, (c1954)

STATION BUILDING PLATFORM 1/2 (1943-44)
External: The station building on Platform 1/2 is larger than the Platform 3/4 building and is an Inter War Stripped Functionalist style railway building. It is of face brick construction with low pitched gabled roof and brick parapets at each end with courses of recessed heeler bricks capped by a course of bullnosed bricks. The western end of the building is defined by a curved masonry bay with a single door. Centrally located on each parapet is an Art Deco style projecting vertical masonry fin constructed of heeler bricks in a contrasting colour. The parapets step down on each side from the fin. The roof is clad with Colorbond, which extends as an awning on all four sides of the building. The awning on the eastern end, which provides shelter to passengers purchasing tickets from the ticket window and the machine, is supported by two rectangular brick columns with curved corners. On Platform 1/ 2, one ticket window remains in use while the other is bricked up. Steel framed windows with three horizontal hopper panels are vertically proportioned and placed regularly on both platform elevations. A contemporary canopy connects the building from the underside of the original awning to the stairs and footbridge.

Internal: Internally the building has a linear floor layout with a series of rooms in various sizes including from east to west combined former booking/parcels office (now booking office and staff area), general waiting room, ladies room and toilets, men's toilets with a store room in the curved bay. The doors are secured by metal grill gates while the windows covered with security mesh. The entire original interior fit-out has been removed.

STATION BUILDING PLATFORM 3/4 (1943-44)
External: The station building on Platform 3/4 is approximately half the size of the Platform 1/2 building featuring the same detailing and architectural style with the exception of the curved bay at one end. It is of face brick construction with low pitched gabled roof and brick parapets at each end with courses of recessed heeler bricks capped by a course of bullnosed bricks. Centrally located on each parapet is an Art Deco style projecting vertical masonry fin constructed of heeler bricks in a contrasting colour. The parapets step down on each side from the fin. The roof is clad with Colorbond which extends as an awning on all four sides of the building. The awning on the eastern end, which provides shelter to passengers purchasing tickets from the ticket machine, is supported by two rectangular brick columns with curved corners. The building had two ticket windows, which are now blocked. The central pane is fixed. Early timber doors are extant. The standard steel framed windows with three horizontal hopper panels are vertically proportioned and placed regularly on both platform elevations between the solid metal doors. A contemporary canopy connects the building from the underside of the original awning to the stairs and footbridge.

Internal: Internally the building has a linear floor layout consisting of a booking office and general waiting room. The doors are secured by metal grill gates while the windows are covered by security mesh. The building is currently used for storage purposes. The internal finishes are the same as the other platform building with plasterboard panelled ceilings, hardboard flooring (booking office) and tile flooring (waiting room). The waiting room interior has been upgraded.

PLATFORMS (1943)
Both island platforms have brick faces with concrete deck. The top surfaces are covered with concrete with concrete coping. Modern aluminium palisade fencing, timber bench seating, lighting and signage are located on both of the platforms.

FOOTBRIDGE (1944)
The footbridge is a steel beam structure with concrete deck and RSJ steel supports over the platforms and main lines with stairs to each of the platforms, and a ramp to street level on each side. It is a simple structure with no ornamentation representing economic policies of the time. The footbridge and associated stairs and ramps are covered with Colorbond awnings.

KIOSK (c1954)
The small originally timber clad (now metal) and gable roofed kiosk is located on a cantilevered concrete slab supported by steel trestles opposite the stairs to Platform 1/2.

MOVABLE
Heritage-style platform lamp posts
Blue and yellow station entrance sign – Mode ID
Green cast iron Milner safe
Booking office machine (BOM) including dispenser, computer, monitor, keyboard and associated equipment such as plastic coin trays etc
Small timber coin tray / box
Timber-framed historical print of Pendle station in c1924
Tall, two-door timber cupboard, polished, with interior shelving
Tall, two-door timber cupboard, painted green, with interior shelving and including SRA list of telegraphic codes attached to inside door
Timber desk stationery organiser
Metal sign – “Attention – Valid ticket etc”
Red and white "Emergency Response" box including contents and contents list
Two timber-framed mirrors in women’s toilets
Fitted timber ticket desk in former booking office on Platform 3-4

POTENTIAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL FEATURES
Pendle Hill Station has low archaeological potential with no evidence of the 1920s station buildings remaining.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The station buildings are in good condition internally and externally. Some minor repair work will be required over time to prevent further deterioration. Some brick cleaning may also be required on the parapets in particular. Asphalt may require removal from around the base of the walls should evidence of rising damp or other issues arise.

The platforms and footbridge with kiosk are also in good condition.
Date condition updated:03 Apr 09
Modifications and dates: c1997 - The internal fitout removed and some small cosmetic changes have been made to the facade such as the roof sheeting.
N.d - The kiosk appears to have been changed from a skillion roof to a gabled roof and reclad.
2010: Platform resurfacing
Current use: Railway station
Former use: Nil

History

Historical notes: The western railway line was opened in 1860 and duplicated in 1886. Pendle Hill Station opened in 1924, mainly servicing the Bonds cotton mill employees. The suburb was originally part of the acreage owned by D'Arcy Wentworth. Mr George A. Bond purchased a large part of the farm, bounded by Pendle Way, Dunmore Street and Jones Street and lived in what is now Dunmore House.

Bond was a young American who established a company in 1915 to import ladies hosiery and gloves to Sydney. Two years later he began manufacturing hosiery in Redfern and a year after that, underwear in Camperdown. The business quickly developed into the well known Bonds business, aided in part by the iconic 'Chesty Bond' men's athletic singlet.

In 1923, he established a cotton spinning mill on his property at Pendle Hill and persuaded the railway authorities to build a platform so his employees would have easy walking from the railway station. Bonds continues to operate in the locality. He is believed to have requested that the area be named after Pendleton in Lancashire, the centre of England's cotton industry, and the name Pendle Hill was the result. In March 1927 the over bridge near the station opened.

The "Inter War Stripped Functionalist" brick station buildings were designed in 1942 as part of the quadruplication of the line between Lidcombe and St Marys. It was constructed c1943-4, replacing the 1920s structures. The steel beam pedestrian footbridge dates from c1944. The bookstall (now kiosk) was designed in 1954 and presumably added soon after.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Building the railway network-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Impacts of railways on urban form-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Creative endeavour-Activities associated with the production and performance of literary, artistic, architectural and other imaginative, interpretive or inventive works; and/or associated with the production and expression of cultural phenomena; and/or environments that have inspired such creative activities. Evolution of design in railway architecture-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Pendle Hill Railway Station has historical significance as being established following a request to the railways by the local cotton mill owner and Bonds company founder George A Bond for a railway platform to service the mill employees. The station is also of historical significance as one of several stations constructed as part of the quadruplication of the line from St Marys to Lidcombe in the 1940s reflecting the need to upgrade the buildings in response to the development of the locality.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Pendle Hill Station has strong historical associations with George Bonds founder of the Bonds manufacturing empire and the person responsible for the inspiration in naming Pendle Hill.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Pendle Hill Railway Station is of aesthetic significance as an example of mid-sized Inter-War Stripped Functionalist station buildings in an urban setting. The buildings are noted for their use of bonded brickwork, Art Deco influenced parapet detailing, strong horizontal planes and steel awnings, and their simple style reflecting the simplicity of the nearby Joyce Street shops.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place and can provide a connection to the local community's history.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Pendle Hill Railway Station is of technical significance for its ability to demonstrate design and construction techniques of the mid-20th century railway structures and for its ability to provide evidence of the use of Inter War Stripped Functionalist elements in a railway setting. The station buildings provide opportunities together with Toongabbie, Wentworthville and Seven Hills stations to study and understand mid-20th century building techniques, though these can be observed at many other locations.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Pendle Hill Railway Station is a representative example of a small, mid-20th Century railway station that is designed in the Inter War Stripped Functionalist style in an urban context, similar to Toongabbie, Wentworthville and Seven Hills.
Integrity/Intactness: The station has a high degree of integrity and intactness externally. The main change is the replacement of the original roof with Colorbond sheeting. The buildings have low integrity internally due to the removal of the interior fitout, however this does not reduce the significance of the buildings as representations of their style.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

1. Conservation principles: Conserve cultural heritage significance and minimise impacts on heritage values and fabric in accordance with the ‘Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance’. 2. Specialist advice: Seek advice from a qualified heritage specialist during all phases of a proposed project from feasibility, concept and option planning stage; detailed design; heritage approval and assessment; through to construction and finalisation. 3. Documentation: Prepare a Statement of Heritage Impact (SOHI) to assess, minimise and prevent heritage impacts as part of the assessment and approval phase of a project. Prepare a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) prior to proposing major works (such as new additions, change of use or proposed demolition) at all places of State significance and all complex sites of Local significance. 4. Maintenance and repair: Undertake annual inspections and proactive routine maintenance works to conserve heritage fabric in accordance with the ‘Minimum Standards of Maintenance & Repair’. 5. Movable heritage: Retain in situ and care for historic contents, fixtures, fittings, equipment and objects which contribute to cultural heritage significance. Return or reinstate missing features or relocated items where opportunities arise. 6. Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage: Consider all aspects of potential heritage significance as part of assessing and minimising potential impacts, including Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage. 7. Unidentified heritage items: Heritage inventory sheets do not describe or capture all contributory heritage items within an identified curtilage (such as minor buildings, structures, archaeology, landscape elements, movable heritage and significant interiors and finishes). Ensure heritage advice is sought on all proposed changes within a curtilage to conserve heritage significance. 8. Recording and register update: Record changes at heritage places through adequate project records and archival photography. Notify all changes to the Section 170 Heritage & Conservation Register administrator upon project completion.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage registerSRA s.170 Register    

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
State Rail Authority Heritage Register Study1999SRA927State Rail Authority  No
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 City Plan Heritage  Yes
Heritage Platforms Conservation Management Strategy2015 Australian Museum Consulting  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
MapAndrea Humphreys and Donald Ellsmore2001Inter-War Station Buildings
Management PlanBonds Website2009http://www.bonds.com.au/#aboutUs
WrittenFraser, D1996Survey of Railway Footbridges
WrittenHolroyd City Council2009Holroyd City Council website history - Pendle Hill
WrittenSharp, S.A1982The Railway Stations of NSW 1855-1980
WrittenVarious Various Railcorp Historic Plans from EDMS

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4800257


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.