Flemington Railway Station Group (& Signal Box) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Flemington Railway Station Group (& Signal Box)

Item details

Name of item: Flemington Railway Station Group (& Signal Box)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Primary address: The Crescent, Flemington, NSW 2140
Local govt. area: Strathfield

Boundary:

North: The outer edge of the outer rail trackSouth: Property boundary to The Crescent East: 5 metres from end of platform West: 5 metres from end of platformSignal Box located approximately 550m to the west of the platform. The curtilage for the signal box is 5 metres to the north, south, east and west sides of the building and excludes any of the adjacent structures.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
The CrescentFlemingtonStrathfield  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 

Statement of significance:

Flemington Railway Station is historically significant at a local level as a station which was part of the 1920s quadruplication of the Main Western line between Flemington and Lidcombe, replacing the previous 1880s Flemington station site further east. The station is significant for historical association with the 1880s Flemington stockyards and the Flemington Markets since the mid 1970s. The 1920s platform buildings, footbridge and overhead booking office represent the period of quadruplication.
The station has aesthetic significance at the local level as its platform buildings, overhead booking office and footbridge display the architectural style, features and detailing of 1920s railway architecture.

The extant signal box dates from the 1924 phase of development and contributes to the understanding of the requirements for safe working and railway signalling required at this time. While representative of a standard type of signal box built during the 1920s, the box is no longer operational and does not contain any signalling equipment.
Date significance updated: 14 Jul 09
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: NSW Government Railways
Builder/Maker: NSW Government Railways
Physical description: PRECINCT ELEMENTS
Platform buildings, Platform 1/2 (Type 11) (1924)
Platform buildings, Platform 3/4 (Type 11) (1924)
Overhead Booking Office, (1924)
Signal Box, (1929)

STRUCTURES
Canopies, (pre 2001)
Platforms: Platform 1/2, (1924), Platform 3/4, (1924)
Station footbridge & stairs, (1924)

CONTEXT
Flemington Railway Station is entered from The Crescent to the South via the footbridge. Access to the markets to the North is via the 1976 footbridge. To the North of the station is the Flemington Markets and to the South is a commercial area and shopping precinct.

PLATFORM BUILDING- Platform 1/2 (1924)
External: Rectangular building five bays long with Flemish bond brickwork. The bays are defined by engaged brick piers that have concrete corbels and cast iron brackets that support awnings with curtain board fascia. The awnings are integrated with the gable roof of the building and the roofing material for both the awning and the roof is corrugated steel which has replaced the original corrugated galvanised iron roofing.

The external walls rise from a projecting brick plinth. Most of the door and window openings are original and feature flat arches. Window openings have bull nosed brick sills and some door openings have recent brick on edge thresholds and some have early slate slabs. There are two sizes of timber framed double hung windows and some of the windows have been painted over or boarded up, and some retain original 6 paned top sashes. Original external doors used in the building are timber framed timber panel doors with fanlights and they have been mostly sealed shut and hardware removed. Modern services and operational equipment have been fixed to the brickwork and awning structure.

Internal: The building originally had a station master’s office, a general waiting room, a ladies waiting room with attached toilets, a store and urinals. The interiors are currently all locked to the outside and all rooms except the toilets at the western end of the building are used as store rooms. The walls and ceilings of most of the rooms are mostly intact and retain original details, although the timber floors are in very poor condition.

PLATFORM BUILDING- Platform 3/4 (1924)
External: Rectangular building three bays long with Flemish bond brickwork. The bays are defined by engaged brick piers that have concrete corbels and cast iron brackets that support awnings with curtain board fascia. The awnings are integrated with the gable roof of the building and the roofing material for both the awning and the roof is corrugated steel which has replaced the original corrugated galvanised iron roofing.

The external walls rise from a projecting brick plinth. Most of the door and window openings are original and feature flat arches. Window openings have bull nosed brick sills and some door openings have recent brick on edge thresholds and some have early slate slabs. There are two sizes of timber framed double hung windows and some of the windows have been painted over or boarded up, and some retain original six-paned top sashes. Original external doors used in the building are timber framed timber panel doors with fanlights and they have been mostly sealed shut and hardware removed. Modern services and operational equipment have been fixed to the brickwork and awning structure.

Internal: The building originally had a ladies waiting room with attached toilets, a store and urinals. The interiors are currently all locked to the outside and all rooms except the toilets at the western end of the building, are used as store rooms. The walls and ceilings of most of the rooms are mostly intact and retain original details, although the timber floors are in very poor condition.

OVERHEAD BOOKING OFFICE (1924)
External: The booking office is located at the centre of the station footbridge. The building is a timber framed structure with ship lap weather board cladding and a hipped roof with transverse gables to the north-east and north-west ends of the building. It has a number of original elements intact. The roof structure is original although the existing corrugated metal sheeting has replaced original fibre cement slates. Some original details have been retained to the northern end of the building with fibre cement sheeting to the soffit of the awning and mouldings. The details of the east and west gable ends have also been retained and original timber columns supporting the west end gable have also been retained. The original configuration of the building has been altered with the recent extension of the building to the south which has been covered by a low skillion roof.

Internal: The building currently accommodates the booking office, station manager’s office, a staff room, a retail outlet, and public toilet facilities. The building originally housed a booking and parcels office. It had timber frame double hung windows with six paned top sashes, lantern windows to part of the eastern elevation and timber panel doors with fanlights. However very little original fabric remains and most of the windows have been relocated or have been replaced with horizontal sliding aluminium windows and flat panelled doors.

Internal fixtures and fittings replaced with modern office furniture; Internal station master’s office, staff kitchen and toilet, public toilets, and private concession added; Roof replaced with corrugated metal sheets; Weatherboard siding replaced with unsympathetic aluminium siding; Skillion roof addition to south end of building; Doors and windows replaced with unsympathetic modern equivalents and relocated, and fanlights boarded; Ticket windows removed and/or replaced with modern ticket windows; Ticket collector’s cabin removed; Station footbridges partially enclosed with glazed screens and metal awnings.

SIGNAL BOX (also known as Flemington Car Sidings Box) (1929)
External: The building comprises of two parts, a rectangular base at the ground level, which is five bays long and is constructed of Flemish bond brickwork, and a timber framed, fibre cement clad structure at the first floor level. The base has engaged piers with terracotta caps that define the bays and original windows with brick on edge sills, terracotta lintels and security grilles fitted to the exterior. Access to the ground floor level is from the western side. The first floor structure has typical chamfered plan details to the corners and it sits on a precast concrete slab and is approximately three bays long in comparison to the base. It has balconies with steel tubular balustrade to its north, east and west faces and timber framed multi-paned sliding casement windows with security grilles to the exterior. The signal box has a Dutch gable roof with terracotta tiles, overhanging eaves with exposed rafters. Plain timber posts support the north-east, north-west and south-east corners of the roof.

Internal: The ground floor has exposed brick perimeter walls and concrete floors. There are new I beams supporting precast concrete slabs to first the floor. The first floor is accessed by the original wrought iron spiral staircase. It has typical ceiling details, raked plaster sections to the perimeter walls and cover mouldings. Interior walls have fibre cement sheet and batten cladding. Partition walls have been added to the western end of the first floor. There are toilet facilities to the south-east corner of the first floor. None of the original signalling equipment exists in the building.

CANOPIES (pre 2001)
There is a modern canopy on Platform 1/2 and one on Platform 3/4. Both the canopies are to the east of the platform buildings and closer to the footbridge. The canopies comprise of gable corrugated steel roofs supported on painted steel trusses and columns and have clear glass and steel mid height walls which help form an enclosure for seating on the platform.

PLATFORMS (1924)
Platform 1 (Up) and Platform 2 (Down) form an island platform arrangement. Both the platforms are rarely in use except by trains during track work or in emergencies. Platform 3 (Up) and Platform 4 (Down) also form an island platform arrangement. All the platforms have asphalt surfaces and in-situ concrete faces. Original 1924 precast concrete post and panel platform walls have been replaced with new concrete panels.

STATION FOOTBRIDGE (1924)
The station footbridge comprises of concrete slabs laid on steel joists supported by brick piers and steel trestles. It accommodates the booking office building at its centre and an aluminium frame and glass enclosed concourse to its north. The east end of the footbridge connects to the Flemington Market footbridge to its north and leads down to The Crescent to its south. This section of the footbridge is covered partly by the original transverse gable roof and partly by a recently constructed gable roof structure which is supported by a wall made of fixed, aluminium framed, full length windows. The western end of the footbridge leads down to the platforms by a series of concrete stairs. This area is mostly covered by the original hipped and transverse gable roofs and recently added corrugated metal skillion roof extensions. It features a wall made of fixed, aluminium framed, full length windows which overlooks the platforms. The stairs leading down to the platforms have metal handrails and original 2 star motif cast iron newel posts.

MOVABLE ITEMS
Station buildings
Early bells mounted on exterior wall of Platform 3-4 building, green cast iron No 186 Milner safe in staff office, small timber step ladder, red and white "Emergency Response" box including contents and contents list, timber-framed mirror in staff toilets, timber-framed blackboard and attached box in Platform 3-4 store room, fitted timber shelves in Platform 3-4 store room, blue and white RailCorp “Flemington” signs in storage, loose 6-pane window sash, small wall-mounted timber shelf/rail, freestanding timber bench / desk, two cast iron sinks, original and early door and window hardware (handles, locks, hinges, sash latches and lifts etc), two black and white circle and banner “Flemington” name signs in storage, early copper and flue in storage.

Platforms
Heritage-style platform lamp posts

Signal box: desk in Signal Box, communications items in display cases (x2), signal display

ARCHAEOLOGICAL POTENTIAL
Based on the surviving documentation and the evidence on site it is unlikely there would be any potential archaeological remains at Flemington Railway Station.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
PLATFORM BUILDING (Platform 1/2)
The platform building is in good condition.

PLATFORM BUILDING (Platform 3/4)
The platform building is in good condition.

OVERHEAD BOOKING OFFICE
The overhead booking office is in moderate condition. It has some rust and cracking and peeling of paint at its base and is affected by graffiti in a few places.

SIGNAL BOX (also known as Flemington Car Sidings Box)
The signal box is currently disused and has asbestos building fabric.

CANOPIES
The canopies are in good condition.

PLATFORMS
The platforms are in good condition.

STATION FOOTBRIDGE
The footbridge is in moderate condition. The concrete slabs and concrete stairs leading down to the platforms exhibit signs of deterioration.
Modifications and dates: 1927: Extension of new footbridge over goods yard sidings; demolition of old footbridge.
1928: Electrification extended from Homebush to Flemington car sidings.
1929: Electrification extended from Flemington to Parramatta.
1972: Stockyards closed.
1975: Footbridge extension altered as part of redevelopment of the stockyards as the Sydney Markets.
1979: Booking office building extended to the south: station ‘crush exit’ replaced with a new staff locker room, toilet and shower facilities. Building is reclad with aluminium siding. Western side of footbridge enclosed with a half-glazed screen wall. Original ticket windows are replaced. Goods office converted to locker room.
1994: Booking office interior refurbished: public toilets relocated off-platform to the southern end of the building, and Station Master’s office to the northeast corner of the building. Concession inserted in southeast corner. A glazed screen is added to the eastern side of the footbridge. The 1927 booking hall extension is demolished.
nd: Original 1924 precast concrete post and panel platform walls replaced with new concrete panels.
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Nil

History

Historical notes: The Main Western line to Parramatta (Granville) was originally completed in 1855. The line opened on 26 September 1855 and was double track from Sydney to Newtown and then single track to Parramatta (but duplicated in 1856). The line was built as a direct connection to Parramatta and, subsequently, for the purpose of connecting Sydney with the major rural railways that were constructed across the Blue Mountains to Bathurst and across the Southern Highlands to Goulburn via Liverpool. There were few stops along the line between Sydney and Parramatta and it was not the original intention of the line to serve suburban development. Changes to the line were more often related to the line’s long distance purpose than to the communities along it.

In 1892 the line was quadrupled from Homebush to Flemington, with the quadruplication being extended to Lidcombe in 1924. Flemington Station was originally opened at a site a little further east of the present in 1884, the year after new stockyards were opened at Flemington to replace those at Homebush. This station had two side platforms. It was rebuilt as two island platforms with an overhead booking office at the present site, opening on 25 May 1924. In 1927 a new longer footbridge was extended across the station and goods yard. More recently, the station has also been serving the Sydney Markets which were relocated from Haymarket in 1975.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Communication-Activities relating to the creation and conveyance of information Signalling and safe working-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Transport of Goods-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Impacts of railways on urban form-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Flemington Railway Station is historically significant at a local level as a station which was part of the 1920s quadruplication of the Main Western line between Flemington and Lidcombe, replacing the previous 1880s Flemington Station site further east. The station is significant for historical association with the 1880s Flemington stockyards and the Flemington Markets since the mid 1970s. The 1920s platform buildings, footbridge and overhead booking office represent the period of duplication during which a number of stations were added to the line. The changes made to the station structures namely the extension of the footbridge demonstrate the growing influence of the Flemington markets in the local area.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Flemington Railway Station has local aesthetic significance with its 1920s initial island platform buildings which have typical features of other such buildings in the Sydney Metropolitan Region. In addition the booking office and footbridge, although much altered from their original forms, are recognisable features of the station precinct from The Crescent. Despite extensive modifications, the overhead booking office continues to have aesthetic significance as part of a cohesive group of standard Federation period railway station structures, representative of urban station design in the 1920s. The signal box is an extant example of early power signalling signal boxes that were built during the 1920s. Most of the external fabric has been retained. Its external form, fabric and details are typical of such signal boxes in the Sydney region, however the modifications and alterations to its interior detract from the significance of the signal box.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The structures at Fleminton are common types of standard railway buildings.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The platform buildings at Flemington Railway Station have a reasonable amount of external fabric intact and are good representations of this common type of standard platform building. Externally the signal box is representative of a standard elevated railway signal box.
Integrity/Intactness: Flemington Railway Station has a moderate level of integrity. The platform buildings are the only structures which retain a reasonable level of integrity. The alterations made to the station footbridge, overhead booking office and signal box reduce the overall integrity of the station complex.PLATFORM BUILDING (Platform 1/2)The platform building has more extant fabric externally than it does internally. However while most of the original door and window openings have been retained some of the windows have been painted over or boarded up, and the doors have been mostly sealed shut and hardware removed. Modern services such as lighting and CCTV has been installed at various points but these interventions are mostly reversible and the building generally retains its historic character. PLATFORM BUILDING (Platform 3/4)The platform building externally has more extant fabric than it does internally. However while most of the original door and window openings have been retained some of the windows have been painted over or boarded up, and the doors have been mostly sealed shut and hardware removed. Modern services such lighting and CCTV has been installed at various points but these interventions are mostly reversible and the building generally retains its historic character. OVERHEAD BOOKING OFFICE The original booking office has been altered considerably internally and externally. An extension has been added to its south side and internally it has been subdivided. The original doors and windows have been replaced or relocated.SIGNAL BOX (also known as Flemington Car Sidings Box)The building has been modified and altered externally and internally. All original signalling equipment has been removed. Its original fibre cement roofing tiles have been replaced with terracotta tiles, internal plasterboard partitions have been installed and new I beams have been used to support the first floor slabs. There is, however, a reasonable amount of fabric intact namely the doors and windows.CANOPIES These are new constructions.PLATFORMS The platforms are extant.STATION FOOTBRIDGEThe footbridge is largely intact in terms of its structure. However additions, namely new roof structures and newly constructed aluminium and glass wall enclosures have been made to the concourse area and to sections of the footbridge which lead to Flemington markets and to the platforms.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

1. Conservation principles: Conserve cultural heritage significance and minimise impacts on heritage values and fabric in accordance with the ‘Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance’. 2. Specialist advice: Seek advice from a qualified heritage specialist during all phases of a proposed project from feasibility, concept and option planning stage; detailed design; heritage approval and assessment; through to construction and finalisation. 3. Documentation: Prepare a Statement of Heritage Impact (SOHI) to assess, minimise and prevent heritage impacts as part of the assessment and approval phase of a project. Prepare a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) prior to proposing major works (such as new additions, change of use or proposed demolition) at all places of State significance and all complex sites of Local significance. 4. Maintenance and repair: Undertake annual inspections and proactive routine maintenance works to conserve heritage fabric in accordance with the ‘Minimum Standards of Maintenance & Repair’. 5. Movable heritage: Retain in situ and care for historic contents, fixtures, fittings, equipment and objects which contribute to cultural heritage significance. Return or reinstate missing features or relocated items where opportunities arise. 6. Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage: Consider all aspects of potential heritage significance as part of assessing and minimising potential impacts, including Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage. 7. Unidentified heritage items: Heritage inventory sheets do not describe or capture all contributory heritage items within an identified curtilage (such as minor buildings, structures, archaeology, landscape elements, movable heritage and significant interiors and finishes). Ensure heritage advice is sought on all proposed changes within a curtilage to conserve heritage significance. 8. Recording and register update: Record changes at heritage places through adequate project records and archival photography. Notify all changes to the Section 170 Heritage & Conservation Register administrator upon project completion.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
State Rail Authority Heritage Register Study1999SRA52, SRA652 (Market f/b), SRA651 (stn f/b)State Rail Authority  No
Heritage and Conservation Register State Rail Authority of NSW1993391Paul Davies for SRA  No
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 OCP Architects  Yes
Heritage Platforms Conservation Management Strategy2015 Australian Museum Consulting  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenJohn Forsyth2007New South Wales Railway Stations: an alphabetical arrangement of railway station and place names
WrittenMuseum Consulting Services2014Railway Overhead Booking Offices Heritage Conservation Strategy
WrittenRobert Lee1988The Greatest Public Work: the New South Wales railways 1848 to 1889
WrittenTony Prescott2009Historical Research for RailCorp's S170 Update Project

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4801052


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.