Campsie Railway Station Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Campsie Railway Station Group

Item details

Name of item: Campsie Railway Station Group
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Primary address: Beamish Street, Campsie, NSW 2194
Local govt. area: Canterbury

Boundary:

North: Property boundary to Wilfred Avenue/ North ParadeSouth: Property boundary to Lilian StreetEast: Eastern edge of Beamish Street OverbridgeWest: 5 metres from western end of island platform, excluding modern building.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Beamish StreetCampsieCanterbury  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 

Statement of significance:

Campsie Railway Station has local significance as a station which has its origins in the 1890s expansion of the railways undertaken to encourage agriculture and suburban growth in the late 19th and early 20th century. The existing station layout, platform buildings and overbridge date from 1915 and demonstrate the ongoing expansion of the railways in the early 20th Century and represent the period of suburban development particularly the War Service residential development that took place during the interwar period along this line. The station is associated historically with the movement of railway employees to and from the Enfield/Chullora workshops area. The extant largely intact 1920s platform buildings and the Beamish Street overbridge are representative of railway structures of this period.
Date significance updated: 04 Oct 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: NSW Government Railways
Builder/Maker: NSW Government Railways
Construction years: 1895-1915
Physical description: BUILDINGS
Platform building, Platform 1- (Type 11) (1915)
Platform building, Platform 2- (Type 11) (1915)
Overhead Booking Office & Concourse, (1915, modified c1950s/2001)

STRUCTURES
Platforms: Platform 1/2, (1894), Platform 3, (1950)
Overbridge, (1915)
Platform Canopies, Platforms 1- 3, (2001)

CONTEXT
Campsie Railway Station consists of one wayside platform on the south and an island platform on the north, both with original station buildings. Passenger rail only uses the south side of the island platform, with the Metropolitan Goods Line running on the north. Most of the overhead booking office and the access stairs are modern, with part of the original 1915 booking office being adapted. The station is accessed from the Beamish Street overbridge. Beamish Street is the main commercial shopping strip in Campsie.

PLATFORM BUILDING - Platform 1 (1915)
External: Rectangular face brick building with gabled roof and integral shallower sloped single cantilevered awning. The face brick is in stretcher bond and has been painted. The building is six bays in length, with the bays defined by engaged brick piers which coincide with the awning supports. There is a further open veranda bay at the eastern end. The original chimneys with cement mouldings and terracotta flues remain.

The northern cantilever awning on the goods line side has been removed. The remaining southern cantilever awning has standard double bowed steel brackets supported on decorative cement haunches and bolt fixings to the station building brick walls. The soffit lining is corrugated steel fixed to intermediate exposed purlins and follows the roof slope. There is a decorative timber moulding at junction with the brick wall. Vertical timber boards form a valance at each end of the awning. On the eastern end of the building the vertical boarding fills the whole width of the gable end and the roof is supported on two timber posts to form an open veranda for one bay. The awning roof as for the main roof is corrugated steel.

The external walls rise from a projecting brick plinth three/four courses high with a decorative dado moulding run in cement which is continuous between door and window openings. Decorative cement window and door frames rise above the dado moulding. The northern side of the building reflects the same detailing.

The original window openings feature a moulded cement sill with a scalloped fringe. The original timber windows were double hung with a single paned lower sash and a six paned upper sash featuring coloured glass. Much of the original coloured window glass as well as the upper glazing bars has been removed and replaced with vandal-proof fibreglass sheeting. Original door openings featured fanlights matching the upper window sashes. All the original timber panelled doors have been either removed or modified, and the original thresholds have also been removed.

Internal: The building comprises a station master’s office; general waiting room; ladies room and ladies toilets, a store and men’s toilets. The internal usage has now changed and the toilets have modern fitouts and finishes. Original plaster wall finishes, ripple iron ceilings, and timber cornices remain as well as ceiling roses in the general waiting room, the ladies waiting room, and ladies toilets. The men’s toilets retain the original painted brick walls but the ceiling has been replaced.

PLATFORM BUILDING - Platform 2 (1915)
External: Rectangular face brick building with gabled corrugated steel roof and integral shallower sloped single cantilevered awning. The face brick is in stretcher bond and has been painted. The building is four bays in length, with the bays defined by engaged brick piers which coincide with the awning supports. The original chimney with cement mouldings and terracotta flue still remains. The cantilever awning is on standard double bowed steel brackets supported on decorative cement haunches and bolt fixings to the station building brick walls. The soffit lining is the underside of the corrugated steel roof and is fixed to intermediate exposed purlins. There is a decorative timber moulding at junction with brick wall. Vertical timber boards form a valance at each end of awning.

The external walls rise from a projecting brick plinth three/four courses high with a decorative dado moulding run in cement which is continuous between door and window openings. Decorative cement window and door frames rise above the dado moulding. The rear or southern side of the building against the rock cutting reflects the same detailing.

The original window openings feature a moulded cement sill with a scalloped fringe. The original timber windows were double hung with a single paned lower sash and a six paned upper sash which featured coloured glass. The original window glass as well as the upper glazing bars has been removed in several cases. Most of the windows now contain diamond pattern vandal proof fibreglass sheeting and/or hardboard coverings. The original door openings featured fanlights matching the upper window sashes. One original timber panelled door has been replaced with a modern flush door.

Internal: The building comprises a general waiting room; ladies room and ladies toilets a store and men’s toilets. The waiting room and ladies waiting room retains the original plaster wall finishes, ripple iron ceiling, plaster ceiling rose and timber floor. The ladies toilets retain the original timber partitions and fittings but have not been used in many years. The men’s toilets have a modern fitout but the original brick painted wall finish remains.

OVERHEAD BOOKING OFFICE (1915/partial), STATION CONCOURSE & FOOTBRIDGE (2001)
The modern building incorporates all functions within it. It consists of a large concourse, new access stairs and canopies, a ticket office, access lifts to Platforms 1 and 2, new public toilets and retail areas on Beamish Street. The existing structure has been built on the footprint of the original 1915 footbridge and stairs. Like the original footbridge the current concourse is located off the Beamish Street overbridge such that its eastern edge is directly accessible from the street. The overhead booking office was expanded and extensively modified c1950s. Parts of the 1915 booking office and 1950s parcels office have been incorporated within the new building and serve as retail shops. These parts are identifiable by the retained original fabric including ripple iron ceilings, weatherboards and ceiling roses. However these sections have also been modified and reconfigured with new glazing and shopfront designed to simulate the original detailing. This part of the building is covered by a corrugated steel half gabled roof which is juxtaposed with a corrugated steel gabled station entry. The western end of the concourse looks out onto the station through a clear glass and metal framed wall, which extends all along the length of the concourse. The entire area is roofed by a steel space frame structure covered with metal deck roof sheeting.

The northern end of the concourse is connected to the 1947 footbridge (which was an extension of the 1915 footbridge), which comprises of a riveted steel plate girder substructure and latticed steel framing. This section of the footbridge like the original footbridge had timber floor construction and timber steps leading down to the disused Platform 3 although it currently has a concrete slab and steps. Retail shops bordering the north-eastern corner of the concourse along Beamish Street date from the c.1950s.

PLATFORMS
Platforms all have an asphalt surface.
Platform 1 (1894) (Up) is an island platform arrangement although the south side of the platform is not used. It is brick with concrete extension.
Platform 2 (1915) (Down) is a wayside platform. It is brick with concrete extension.
Platform 3 (1950) is a disused wayside platform. Concrete with open concrete frame.

OVERBRIDGE (1915)
The Beamish Street overbridge crosses over the eastern end of the railway station and runs parallel to the footbridge. The structure is a steel jack-arch overbridge which comprises of filled in arched brickwork between steel web-girders, supported by central brick piers and side brick abutments.

CANOPIES (2001)
Steel framed canopies with corrugated steel roofs were constructed over the new stairs and to the existing station buildings.

LANDSCAPE/NATURAL FEATURES
Excavated rock face to rear of wayside building. Cambered stone and brick retaining wall to the east of the wayside platform building.

MOVABLE
Cast iron stormwater grates

ARCHAEOLOGICAL POTENTIAL
Based on the surviving documentation and the evidence on site it is unlikely there would be any potential archaeological remains at Campsie Railway Station.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
PLATFORM BUILDING (Platform 1)
Good condition.

PLATFORM BUILDING (Platform 2)
The building is in a good condition except the toilets.

PLATFORMS
Generally good condition.

OVERHEAD BOOKING OFFICE & CONCOURSE
Good condition.

CANOPIES
Good condition.

OVERBRIDGE
Good condition.
Date condition updated:26 Jun 09
Modifications and dates: 1905: Booking office constructed on platform.
1906: Platform extended.
1915: New overhead booking office, overbridge, station buildings and side platforms erected.
1926: Railway electrified.
1950: New parcels office and goods line platform, overhead booking office extensively modified and expanded.
c2000: New overhead concourse constructed, providing Easy Access to the Platforms. Remnant elements of original booking office building retained within concourse and Dutch gable roof profile reinstated at the street elevation. Original booking hall and northern section of building removed; Ticket windows removed; Ticket collector’s cabin removed; Majority of doors and windows removed.
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Nil

History

Historical notes: Campsie is located on the Sydenham to Bankstown Railway which was opened as far as Belmore on 1 February 1895. The line had its origins in Railway Commissioner Goodchap’s 1882 recommendation that an additional line was needed between Newtown and Liverpool to relieve traffic on the southern Line and to encourage agriculture and suburban settlement. Lobbying by local interest groups and land speculators achieved Parliamentary approval by 1890 and construction commenced in 1892.

The most important stations on the line, Belmore, Canterbury and Marrickville, were built with impressive near-identical brick buildings, the other intermediate stations (Dulwich Hill and Hurlstone Park) receiving more modest timber buildings (later replaced), possibly reflecting economies of the depression of the 1890s. The depression suppressed the profitability of the line and the extension to Liverpool did not proceed. However, suburban development followed in the early twentieth century, particularly during the interwar period when many War Service homes were built west of Canterbury. The line was extended to Bankstown in 1909 (and then to Regents Park in 1928, making it part of a loop line through Lidcombe), its justification by then being the servicing of suburban development.

The station was opened in 1895 with a timber waiting shed on an island platform with the Down line on its south side and the Up line to the north in the present position of the Goods Line. A new booking office was constructed in 1905 and the platform extended in 1906.

The present station layout and station buildings date from 1915 and were constructed for the opening of the Goods Lines in 1916. The new layout featured an overhead timber booking office on a steel girder footbridge with stairs to the platform, a new brick station building on the existing island platform, and a new side (Down) platform to the south with a brick station building. The new buildings replaced all previous platform structures. The brick and stone retaining wall on the south was also constructed at this time to accommodate the new Down platform. A new jack-arch overbridge also replaced a previous timber bridge to carry Beamish Street across the four railway lines.

A northern side platform was also constructed in 1916 for the Goods line and was used by railway employees so that they could travel to and from the Enfield/ Chullora workshops area. However, the existing concrete platform and stairs date from c1950.

An overhead parcels office was constructed c1950 on the footbridge. The overhead booking office was demolished c2000 and replaced with a new structure.

NSW Railway Reports during the 1930s show that Campsie Railway Station had the largest ticket sales along the Bankstown line and still today remains one of the busiest stations on the line.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Transport of Goods-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Impacts of railways on urban form-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Campsie Railway Station is historically significant as a station dating from the 1890s expansion of the railways undertaken to encourage agriculture and suburban growth in the late 19th and early 20th century. The existing station layout which dates from 1915 demonstrates the expansion of the railways in the early 20th century to negotiate the movement of goods and passenger trains. The extant early 20th century platform buildings and the Beamish Street overbridge represent the period of suburban development particularly the War Service residential development that took place during the interwar period along this line. The station is historically associated with the Enfield/Chullora workshops area and the movement of NSW railway employees to and from the areas.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Campsie Railway Station has aesthetic significance with its 1920s ‘initial island’ platform buildings which have characteristic features of this type of station building in the Sydney Metropolitan Region, namely the linear form, gable roof and integrated awnings. The 1920s jack-arch overbridge has been altered with the removal of its brick parapets and the development of a commercial strip along to its east end and station redevelopments to its west. However it retains typical features of such overbridges within the suburban network, namely the jack-arch and steel girders structure, brick piers and brick abutments. In effect the form, fabric and detailing of this building characterises the type of construction and architectural style employed in early 20th century railway station buildings in the Sydney region.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The buildings and structures at Campsie station are common types of railway structures.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The station building at Campsie is an intact example of a common station buidling type, retaining the characteristic features of the standard early 1900s suburban station building. Although the overbridge has been altered with the removal of its brick parapets and the development to its east and west sides, it retains characteristics features of jack-arch overbridges and is therefore representative of jack-arch construction.
The footbridge was identified as an item of little heritage significance in the 2016 ‘Railway Footbridges Heritage Conservation Strategy’. However, the strategy recommended detailed physical analysis prior to any change to confirm the significance of the structure.
The Overhead Booking Office at Campsie was identified as an item of little heritage significance in the 2014 ‘Railway OHBO Heritage Conservation Strategy’. The 1915-16 platform buildings and road overbridge are largely intact and representative of railway structures of this period. In contrast, the various alterations to the overhead booking office detract from its aesthetic value and historic integrity, such that it is now difficult to interpret and has poor representative value.
Integrity/Intactness: Campsie Railway Station has a moderate level of integrity. It has a number of original structures in a relatively intact condition namely the 1915 buildings on Platforms 1 and 2, parts of the 1915 booking office (extensively modified, poor integrity) and the 1950s parcels office, the 1947 section of the footbridge and the 1915 overbridge. However the construction of a new station concourse and booking office has altered the 1915 station layout and its historic form substantially thereby reducing its overall integrity.PLATFORM BUILDING (Platform 1) The 1915 platform building is largely intact externally and the changes made to its exterior including the removal of the original glazing from some of the windows and replacing it with later fibreglass and/or hardboard lining and the replacement of some of the original timber framed doors with flush doors has not detracted from its integrity. A reasonable amount of internal finishes have remained, although the toilet fitouts are later as would be expected. Internally some of the rooms suffer from disuse and subsequent lack of maintenance. PLATFORM BUILDING (Platform 2) The 1915 platform building on Platform 2 has the same level of integrity and the same degree of changes as the platform building on Platform 1. PLATFORMSPlatforms 1-6 are original platforms.OVERHEAD BOOKING OFFICE & STATION CONCOURSEMajority of the overhead booking office and station concourse has been newly constructed. The parts of the 1915 booking office and c.1950s parcels office which have been retained and incorporated within the new structure have a number of retained elements including ripple iron ceilings, weatherboards and ceiling roses. OVERBRIDGE The overbridge is largely intact and it has retained most of its 1915 fabric excepting the brick parapets on either sides of it which were demolished in the period between 1950 and 1970.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

1. Conservation principles: Conserve cultural heritage significance and minimise impacts on heritage values and fabric in accordance with the ‘Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance’. 2. Specialist advice: Seek advice from a qualified heritage specialist during all phases of a proposed project from feasibility, concept and option planning stage; detailed design; heritage approval and assessment; through to construction and finalisation. 3. Documentation: Prepare a Statement of Heritage Impact (SOHI) to assess, minimise and prevent heritage impacts as part of the assessment and approval phase of a project. Prepare a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) prior to proposing major works (such as new additions, change of use or proposed demolition) at all places of State significance and all complex sites of Local significance. 4. Maintenance and repair: Undertake annual inspections and proactive routine maintenance works to conserve heritage fabric in accordance with the ‘Minimum Standards of Maintenance & Repair’. 5. Movable heritage: Retain in situ and care for historic contents, fixtures, fittings, equipment and objects which contribute to cultural heritage significance. Return or reinstate missing features or relocated items where opportunities arise. 6. Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage: Consider all aspects of potential heritage significance as part of assessing and minimising potential impacts, including Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage. 7. Unidentified heritage items: Heritage inventory sheets do not describe or capture all contributory heritage items within an identified curtilage (such as minor buildings, structures, archaeology, landscape elements, movable heritage and significant interiors and finishes). Ensure heritage advice is sought on all proposed changes within a curtilage to conserve heritage significance. 8. Recording and register update: Record changes at heritage places through adequate project records and archival photography. Notify all changes to the Section 170 Heritage & Conservation Register administrator upon project completion.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage registerSRA s.170 Register    

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
State Rail Authority Heritage Register Study1999SRA101, SRA613 (footbridge)State Rail Authority  No
Heritage and Conservation Register State Rail Authority of NSW1993388Paul Davies for SRA  No
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 OCP Architects  Yes
Heritage Platforms Conservation Management Strategy2015 Australian Museum Consulting  Yes
Railway Footbridges Heritage Conservation Strategy 2016 NSW Government Architect’s Office Heritage Group  Yes
Railway Footbridges Heritage Conservation Strategy 2016 NSW Government Architect’s Office Heritage Group  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAustralian Museum Consulting2014Railway Overhead Booking Offices Heritage Conservation Strategy
WrittenJohn Forsyth2007New South Wales Railway Stations: an alphabetical arrangement of railway station and place names
WrittenK. Edwards1982Beginning the Bankstown Line: a history of the Marrickville to Burwood Road Railway
WrittenSimpson Dawbin Associates2000Statement of Heritage Impact: Campsie Railway Station
WrittenTony Prescott2009Historical Research for RailCorp's S170 Update Project

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4801101


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.