Kingsgrove Railway Station Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Kingsgrove Railway Station Group

Item details

Name of item: Kingsgrove Railway Station Group
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Primary address: Kingsgrove Road, Kingsgrove, NSW 2208
Local govt. area: Rockdale

Boundary:

North: boundary of RailCorp property fronting Kingsgrove Avenue and the rear of properties fronting Commercial Road; East: 5m east of the platform end; South: boundary of RailCorp property including (at eastern end) frontage to Shaw Street, at western end frontage to north boundaries of properties at 225-231 Kingsgrove Road and 11 Colvin Avenue; West: 5m west of the platform end. Note: this curtilage excludes the Kingsgrove Road overbridge.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Kingsgrove RoadKingsgroveRockdale  Primary Address
Shaw StreetKingsgroveRockdale  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 

Statement of significance:

Kingsgrove Railway Station - including the 1931 platform and platform building - is of local heritage significance. Kingsgrove Railway Station has historical significance as a major public work completed as an unemployment relief project during the Great Depression, as a major transport hub for the suburb of Kingsgrove since 1931, and for its relationship to the development of Kingsgrove and the broader East Hills region. Kingsgrove Railway Station platform building is of aesthetic significance as an austere 1930s railway building with simple Art Deco detailing and fine brick workmanship that is evocative of the effects of the Depression on building programs for large organisations such as the NSW railways. Kingsgrove Railway Station is representative of the cohesive collection of 10 East Hills line railway stations from Turrella to East Hills.
Date significance updated: 02 Jul 09
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: NSW Department of Railways
Builder/Maker: NSW Department of Railways
Construction years: 1931-1947
Physical description: PRECINCT ELEMENTS
Platform Building (1931, 1947-48) (Type 13)
Platform (1931)
Concrete stairs (2002), overhead entry building and lift shaft (2003)
Platform Canopies (2003)
Kingsgrove Road Overbridge (c. 1990s)
Movable

CONTEXT
Kingsgrove Railway Station is entered via modern entry steps or lift off the Kingsgrove Road overbridge from Kingsgrove Road towards the eastern end of the station. The overbridge crosses the platform towards its eastern end, the eastern end of the platform extends east of the overbridge.

PLATFORM BUILDING (1931, 1947-48)
Exterior: A rectangular dark face brick platform building of standard stretcher bond brickwork, of 4 bays length (note: most platform buildings on this line are 5 bays), with the bays defined by simple brick engaged piers. The building has brick stepped parapets at east and west ends. The roof is gabled at east and west ends against the parapets, and is hipped over awnings to north, south and east, which are an integral part of the roof form, the eastern awning wrapping around the parapet at this end of the building. Roof cladding is corrugated steel. The stepped parapets each feature a projecting moulded brick capping course and 3 vertical lines of projecting decorative brickwork. Retention of earlier wayfinding signage painted directly onto brickwork – Platform 1: “Trains to City”, Platform 2 – “Trains to East Hills”.

Windows are timber-framed double-hung, some with original 6-paned top sashes and bottom sashes with single vertical glazing bars (two extant), or small timber framed windows with frameless glass or glass louvres. Original window openings feature bullnose brick sills and both window and door openings have stop chamfered brickwork. Original door openings (including to the booking office) have terrazzo thresholds. There are modern fibre cement sheet ceilings to the awnings, and all doors are modern timber flush doors.

Interior: The building comprises a combined booking/parcels office (now also the Station Master's room), ladies' toilets, waiting room and men's toilets. The building is compact in both size and design. Some interior joinery and fitout is extant, including a timber battened ceiling and plaster decorative vents to the booking office.

PLATFORM (1931)
One island platform, convex, asphalt surface, concrete edges indicating later replacement of the platform edges.

CONCRETE STAIRS (2002), OVERHEAD ENTRY BUILDING AND LIFT SHAFT (2003)
A modern entry building with a flat and skillion roof with steel famed and glazed walls, housing the entry stairs and lift to the railway station.

PLATFORM CANOPIES (2003)
Modern canopies on steel posts on concrete bases, with corrugated steel gabled roofs, extend from the platform entry stairs to the eastern end of the 1931 platform building, and west of the 1931 platform building.

KINGSGROVE ROAD OVERBRIDGE (c. 1990s)
A modern concrete overbridge, it appears the bridge may retain some of the original brick arch structure, but this has been compromised by new works. Excluded from listing.

MOVABLE
NSW Railway heritage listed sites contain significant collections of stored movable railway heritage, including furniture, signs, operational objects, ex-booking office and ticketing objects, paper records, clocks, memorabilia, indicator boards and artwork. Individually, these objects are important components of the history of each site. Together, they form a large and diverse collection of movable objects across the NSW rail network. Sydney Trains maintains a database of movable heritage. For up-to-date information on all movable heritage items at this site, contact the Sydney Trains heritage team.
Key items at this station include but are not limited to:

Early signalling diagrams and notifications.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Platform building (1931): good
Platform (1931): good
Concrete Stairs (2002), overhead entry building and lift shaft (2003): very good
Platform Canopies (2003): very good
Kingsgrove Road Overbridge (c. 1990s): good
Date condition updated:03 Jul 09
Modifications and dates: 1948: line duplicated.
1947-48: Platform building extended to create a combined booking & parcels office (plans dated 1.10.1947)
c. 1990s: concrete Kingsgrove Road overbridge constructed
1994: upgrade to interior fitout of booking office
2002: concrete stairs constructed to replace 1931 stairs
2003: New entry structure and lift shaft built
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Nil

History

Historical notes: The name Kingsgrove derives from a land grant made to Hannah Laycock (wife of Quartermaster Thomas Laycock) on 11 August 1804 by Governor Phillip Gidley King which she named Kings Grove in the governor's honour. Two of the Laycock sons, William and Samuel, also received land grants in the area in 1804. Hannah received a further land grant in the area in 1812 to expand the family's holdings to 820 acres, situated in the area bounded by Kingsgrove Road, William Street, Bexley Road and Stoney Creek Road. The Laycock's Kingsgrove Estate was purchased by Simeon Lord in 1829.

"When Kingsgrove Estate was advertised for sale in 1841, the only cleared area was in the vicinity of Homer Street and Rosemeath Avenue. South of Stoney Creek Road from Preddys Road to Kings Georges Road and stretching to South Hurstville and Kogarah was the 1950 acre grant to John Townson, originally granted in 1808 and re-granted in 1810. John Townson was also granted the 250 acres bounded by Stoney Creek Road, Kingsgrove Road, Morgan Street and Kings Georges Road in 1809 and re-granted it in 1810". (Madden, Brian 'History of Kingsgrove', www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/866-history-of-kingsgrove.asp).

There was a horse bus service operating from Kingsgrove through Marrickville to Sydney in 1870. Some subdivisions of the area occurred in the late 19th century and early 20th century - for example the 1885 Alston Park Kingsgrove subdivision auctioned by the Haymarket Permanent Land Building & Investment Co. Ltd., and the 1908 Campbell Estate, Kingsgrove.

"By the early 1900s, there were slaughter yards, market gardens, dairies and poultry farms scattered through the district. Kingsgrove as we know it today developed after the opening of the East Hills railway in 1931." (Madden, Brian "History of Kingsgrove", www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/866-history-of-kingsgrove.asp).

The main impetus for the construction of the East Hills line was from the real estate industry, which wanted to develop the area where the line was proposed. However construction of the line was delayed, and it became an unemployment relief project during the course of its construction due to the onset of the Great Depression.

"The Public Works Committee recommended the line to State Parliament in August, 1924, expecting a small operating profit and opening up good building land. The debate on the Bill to construct the line took only 15 minutes after it was introduced at 5.12am on 17 December 1924, and the Governors assent given on 23 December, but no funds were provided. Just before the State elections in 1927, the Premier, Jack Lang, performed the 'Turning of the First Sod' ceremony at Padstow on 3rd September 1927, but he lost the election. However, the new non-labour government in April, 1928, instructed the Railways Commissioners to commence work on the line". ( from www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au).

Jack Lang was Premier for two periods: the first from June 1925 to October 1927, the second period (during the Depression) from October 1930 to May 1932. Jack Lang was therefore again Premier when he officially opened the East Hills line at Padstow Railway Station in 1931, with the section as far as Kingsgrove being a double track electrified line. Much to the annoyance of the residents of the larger settlement of Dumbleton, the double line and the electrification ended at Kingsgrove. The first train left Kingsgrove for Tempe at 4.59am on Monday 21 September 1931, and there was an Official Opening ceremony the following Saturday. The Official Opening of the Kingsgrove-East Hills section was on Saturday, 21 December 1931, and the regular service by rail motor began the following Monday. Passengers to the city from beyond Kingsgrove had to change from the rail motor to the electric train at Kingsgrove and on most journeys change trains again at Tempe. It was not until December, 1939 that the Kingsgrove-East Hills section was electrified (Madden, Brian "History of Kingsgrove", www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/866-history-of-kingsgrove.asp).

All platform buildings on the East Hills line were built to the same general design and plan, which was revised after initial planning to include a booking office, Station Master’s office and parcels office.

"When the Tempe to East Hills railway opened in 1931, the country was in the midst of the Great Depression and the expected housing development along the line did not immediately eventuate. When the Postal Inspector reported in June 1936 on a request for a post office near the station, he said that there was only one store in Croydon Road ( now Kingsgrove Road) near the station and the district was sparsely settled. By 1940, steady development had occurred - there were 17 shops , 3 in course of construction and others to be commenced, and there were 520 residences within half a mile of the station, which had been erected within the previous three years, and building expansion was still taking place." (Madden, Brian "History of Kingsgrove" on www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/866-history-of-kingsgrove.asp).

Following electrification of the line from Kingsgrove in 1939, the goods siding closed in 1940. In 1947 an extension was built to the 1931 platform building, in the same style and matching brickwork, to create a combined booking and parcels office at the eastern end of the building. The line was duplicated in 1948, and in 1987 the East Hills terminus was connected to the Main Southern Line at Glenfield Junction.

In 1994 the interior fitout to the booking office was upgraded. In 2000 the line was quadruplicated from Wolli Creek Junction to the west of Kingsgrove station as part of the Airport link project. In 2002 concrete stairs were constructed and in 2003 a new entry structure and lift in a concrete shaft were built next to the Kingsgrove Road overbridge. Also in 2002, canopies connected the stairs to the platform building.

Construction work for general upgrading of stations relating to quadruplification of the line is currently underway (2009).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Building the railway network-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Impacts of railways on urban form-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Kingsgrove Railway Station is of historical significance as part of the East Hills line, a major 1930s Depression period public work undertaken under the controversial Premiership of Jack Lang and through its relationship to the development of the suburb of Kingsgrove and the broader East Hills region. The austere design of the platform building is reflective of the completion of the East Hills line as a Depression period unemployment relief project.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Kingsgrove Railway Station is of aesthetic significance as an example of a small Inter-War period suburban railway station with a platform building matching other East Hills line railway station buildings in design and style. The building is very austere in style, with Inter War Art Deco style touches (for example decorative brick detail to parapets) and is competently executed, exhibiting fine workmanship in its brickwork. The building is noted for its use of monochromatic brickwork, stepped parapets, irregular fenestration and engaged piers.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Kingsgrove Railway Station is of research significance for its ability to demonstrate design and construction techniques of the Inter War period. The platform building provides insights into NSW Railways experimentation with styles of architecture and adaptation to Depression period economic conditions.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Kingsgrove Railway Station platform building is not rare, as it is part of a cohesive group of 10 similar to identical Inter War suburban railway buildings completed in 1931 between Turrella and East Hills.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Kingsgrove Railway Station is a good representative example of an East Hills line railway station, despite replacement of the original platform entry arrangements, and the addition of modern platform canopies. Other examples of this type of building can be found at Padstow and Beverly Hills.
Integrity/Intactness: The station has a moderate degree of integrity due to the replacement of original entry arrangements, and the addition of modern platform canopies. The Kingsgrove platform building has retained a high degree of integrity externally and internally, and is one of the most intact platform building examples on the East Hills line.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

1. Conservation principles: Conserve cultural heritage significance and minimise impacts on heritage values and fabric in accordance with the ‘Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance’. 2. Specialist advice: Seek advice from a qualified heritage specialist during all phases of a proposed project from feasibility, concept and option planning stage; detailed design; heritage approval and assessment; through to construction and finalisation. 3. Documentation: Prepare a Statement of Heritage Impact (SOHI) to assess, minimise and prevent heritage impacts as part of the assessment and approval phase of a project. Prepare a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) prior to proposing major works (such as new additions, change of use or proposed demolition) at all places of State significance and all complex sites of Local significance. 4. Maintenance and repair: Undertake annual inspections and proactive routine maintenance works to conserve heritage fabric in accordance with the ‘Minimum Standards of Maintenance & Repair’. 5. Movable heritage: Retain in situ and care for historic contents, fixtures, fittings, equipment and objects which contribute to cultural heritage significance. Return or reinstate missing features or relocated items where opportunities arise. 6. Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage: Consider all aspects of potential heritage significance as part of assessing and minimising potential impacts, including Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage. 7. Unidentified heritage items: Heritage inventory sheets do not describe or capture all contributory heritage items within an identified curtilage (such as minor buildings, structures, archaeology, landscape elements, movable heritage and significant interiors and finishes). Ensure heritage advice is sought on all proposed changes within a curtilage to conserve heritage significance. 8. Recording and register update: Record changes at heritage places through adequate project records and archival photography. Notify all changes to the Section 170 Heritage & Conservation Register administrator upon project completion.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
State Rail Authority Heritage Register Study1999SRA112State Rail Authority  No
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes
Heritage Platforms Conservation Management Strategy2015 Australian Museum Consulting  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAndrea Humphreys and Donald Ellsmore2002Inter-War Station Buildings
WrittenBrian Madden "History of Kingsgrove" on www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/866-history-of-kingsgrove.asp)
WrittenDavid Sheedy2009Historical Research for RailCorp S170 Register Update
WrittenFrances Pollon (compiler, editor)1996The Book of Sydney Suburbs

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4801112


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.