St Peters Railway Station Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

St Peters Railway Station Group

Item details

Name of item: St Peters Railway Station Group
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Primary address: Princes Highway (Opposite Sydney Park Rd), St Peters, NSW 2044
Local govt. area: Marrickville

Boundary:

North: boundary of railway land fronting Lord Street, Newtown and Concord St, Erskineville; East: 5m east of the King Street (Princes Highway) rail overbridge; South: boundary of railway land fronting Sydney Park Road and rear of properties along Goodsell Street;West: 5m west of the end of the station platforms.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Princes Highway (Opposite Sydney Park Rd)St PetersMarrickville  Primary Address
Lord StreetNewtownMarrickville  Alternate Address
639 Princes Highway -AdjacentSt PetersMarrickville  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 

Statement of significance:

St Peters Railway Station - inclusive of the Platform 3-4 building (1884), brick faced platforms (1884) , brick retaining walls, Princes Highway overbridge (1900), steel footbridge, stairs, and newel posts (1914) - is of historical significance as one of the earliest railway stations on the Illawarra line, developed from 1884 to the present, and for its role in the development of the St Peters/Newtown area since 1884.

The station is of aesthetic significance for its fine third class Platform 3/4 station building, a simple late Victorian station building with awnings which demonstrate adaptability, having an original small 2-bay awning on Platform 3 and later cantilevered awning to Platform 4 (the former street façade). The surviving building is one of five stations on the Illawarra line with a 3rd class platform building.

The footbridge was identified as an item of high heritage significance in the 2016 ‘Railway Footbridges Heritage Conservation Strategy’. It is an extensive and intact haunched girder footbridge with a trestle substructure. The 1914 footbridge is one of a number of examples of Dorman Long & Co steel footbridges of this period on the Illawarra Line (other examples at St. Peters, Erskineville). It makes a strong visual contribution to the State significant St Peters Railway Precinct.
Date significance updated: 21 Oct 16
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: N.S.W. Government Railway; Footbridge: Dorman Long & Co
Builder/Maker: C. & E. Miller (1st line), Later by NSW Government Railway, William Murray, (1st buildings)
Construction years: 1884-1995
Physical description: PRECINCT ELEMENTS
Platform 3-4 building (1884) (type 4, 3rd class)
Island platforms (3) (1884)
Brick retaining walls (1900)
Footbridge (1914)
King Street (Princes Highway) overbridge 3.659km (c.1900)
Overhead Booking office and shop (1990, 1999)
Platform 1/2 canopy (c.1995)

CONTEXT
St. Peters Railway Station is located on the Princes Highway (aka King Street) near the intersection with Sydney Park Road, to the west of the Princes Highway rail overbridge. The station is accessed via a footbridge from Lord Street, Newtown, and via a pedestrian pathway and then footbridge from the Princes Highway. The railway station is within a cutting with high brick retaining walls. There are two island platforms: Platform 3/4 on the southern side, and Platform 1/2 on the northern side, and another disused and overgrown island platform on the northern side of the station adjacent to Lord Street.

PLATFORM 3/4 BUILDING (1884)
Exterior: This is a painted brick third class single storey platform building, with an awning the full length of the building on the southern side, and an awning along part of the length of the building on the northern side. The building has two brick chimneys to a gabled corrugated steel roof. Awnings to Platform 3 have a decorative metal valance to the ends of the awning (note: this pattern also occurs at Sydenham). The building features moulded stucco sills and heads to windows, original late Victorian period timber double doors with arched fanlights, each fanlight having two vertical glazing bars. Windows are timber framed double hung. There is a timber tongue & grooved door opening onto Platform 4. The Platform 4 awning has a timber bargeboard and timber valance, and is cantilevered on steel posts and brackets. There is stop chamfered brickwork to window and door openings.

Interior: From east end: Room 1: very high plaster ceiling with plaster ceiling rose, marble mantelpiece, deteriorated timber floor, some wall linings missing. Room 2: ripple iron ceiling with metal ceiling rose, timber floor, fitted timber seating. Timber floor and fitted timber seating has visible termite damage. Room 3: timber floor, chimney breast, high plaster ceiling with plaster ceiling rose. Room 4: toilets with ripple iron ceiling with metal ceiling rose. Toilet fit out features toilet cubicles with late Victorian period timber 4-panel doors and architraves (possibly salvaged from elsewhere). Otherwise c.1970s toilet fit out.

ISLAND PLATFORMS (1884)
There are 3 island platforms: at the northern edge of the station adjacent to Lord Street a disused overgrown island platform made of steel rail post and concrete panel cast in situ with grass surface; Platforms 1 and 2 with partly brick edges, partly concrete edges, and asphalt surfaces; and Platforms 3 (resurfaced) & 4 at the southern side of the station with brick edges. Platform 4 is curved on its southern side.

BRICK RETAINING WALLS (1900)
Brick retaining walls extend both sides of the railway station, and extend to the eastern side of the brick overbridge.

FOOTBRIDGE (1914)
Access to the station is via a footbridge with a Dorman Long & Co steel structure with two sets of taper-haunched girders - one set for street access, the other for platform interchange, stairs, railings and star pattern newel posts. The footbridge has a hardie-board deck, and two brick supports underneath.

KING STREET (PRINCES HIGHWAY) OVERBRIDGE (c.1900)
Brick overbridge over all lines.

OVERHEAD BOOKING OFFICE AND SHOP (1990, 1999)
Located on the footbridge, the overhead booking office is a small steel framed building clad in fibrous cement sheeting and with a hipped corrugated steel roof. A small fibro shop, also with a hipped corrugated steel roof, and a modern awning structure is adjacent.

ISLAND PLATFORMS (1884)
There are 3 island platforms: at the northern edge of the station adjacent to Lord Street a disused overgrown island platform made of steel rail post and concrete panel cast in situ with grass surface; Platforms 1 and 2 with partly brick edges, partly concrete edges, and asphalt surfaces; and Platforms 3 (resurfaced) & 4 at the southern side of the station with brick edges. Platform 4 is curved on its southern side.

PLATFORM 1/2 CANOPY (c1995)
A modern platform canopy structure with steel posts on concrete bases and a corrugated steel roof. This replaced a 1914 platform building demolished c.1995.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Platform 3-4 building (1884): moderate. Some damage to timber.
Island platforms (3) (1884): two good, disused platform moderate (overgrown).
Brick retaining walls (1900): good
Footbridge (1914): good
Princes Highway/King St overbridge (c.1900): good
Overhead booking office and shop (1914, altered c. 1949, 1999): good
Platform 1/2 canopy (1995): very good
Date condition updated:28 Jun 09
Modifications and dates: 1900: quadruplication of the line, construction of brick retaining walls, new King St overbridge
1908: platforms extended
1914: the 1884 Platform 1/2 building was demolished and replaced, footbridges and overhead booking office constructed.
c.1949: overhead booking office extensively altered and shop built on footbridge
1990: the 1914 weatherboard overhead booking office was demolished and replaced with a new, smaller building. New canopies installed on the footbridge and Platforms 3/4.
1995: The 1914 Platform 1/2 building demolished and platform canopy built in its place
1999-2000: Footbridge: hardie board decks and recladding of footbridge buildings; Platform 3/4 building: re-roofed, reinforced glass to some windows; extensive alterations to overhead booking office - reclad and interior refurbished.
2012: Platform 3 resurfaced.
2015: Station Refresh - Removal of redundant services. Removal of intrusive mid- 20th century partition wall in building on Platform 3/4. Security mesh installation to Platform 3/4 building exterior windows. Removal of modified ticket window to booking office. Repainting. Toilet refresh. Lighting upgrade to LED. Seating upgraded. Bins replaced. Replacement of all purlins on Platform 1/2 Canopy and replacement of roof sheeting to match existing. Removal of contemporary loop fence along concourse. Minor timber repairs.
Current use: Railway Station (Platform 3/4 disused)
Former use: Nil

History

Historical notes: St. Peters was named by Alexander Brodie Spark (a merchant who arrived in the colony in 1823 and built Tempe House on the Cooks River in the 1820s), after St. Peters church established in 1835 on the Cooks River Road (now the Princes Highway) around which the suburb was developed. Spark laid out a village around the church, taking the name of the church. However development remained semi-rural until the late 19th century. A post office had been established by 1851, the borough of St Peters incorporated in 1871, and a school began operating in 1881. The discovery of vast deposits of clay in the area led to it becoming the chief brickmaking centre of Sydney.

The first section of the double track Illawarra Line from Eveleigh to Hurstville was built by the private contractors C. and E. Miller and opened in 1884. St Peters was one of the more substantial stations of the eight built in 1884 reflecting the importance of the locality for industry and residential development.

In 1887 Josiah Gentle moved the Bedford Brickworks (established 1877 in Alexandria) to St Peters (located opposite the station on land which is now Sydney Park). This was one of the most important brickworks in Sydney in the late 19th century. The brickworks continued to operate at St Peters until the 1970s.

The two brick side platform buildings at St Peters Railway Station were constructed as a large 2nd class station building (Platform 1/2) and a smaller 3rd class station building (on current Platfrom 3/4) with a small footbridge at the ‘Down' end of the platforms.

With quadruplification of the line in 1900, brick retaining walls were built at the station side boundaries.

Plans dated 18.9.08 for "proposed extensions of platforms" show no footbridge or booking office, just two stairs from Cooks River Road (Princes Highway aka King St) accessing the two platforms.

Plans dated 1916 show the current access arrangement - a footbridge across the whole line, overhead booking office at the northern side, and another footbridge and stairs accessing the two remaining platforms. The footbridges built at this time were a haunched beam design by Dorman Long & Co. The original Platform 1/2 building was demolished in c.1925 and replaced by a standard island platform building.

Plans dated 1949 titled "new station buildings at street level", proposed a new station entrance building on the Princes Highway, and new access arrangements. As the current overhead booking office appears to be an extensively altered 1940s building, it is believed that when the 1949 plans did not proceed, the overhead booking office at St. Peters was either replaced or extensively upgraded at this time (though there are no plans indicating this).

The station's arrangement remained until 1990, when the 1914 weatherboard overhead booking office was demolished and replaced by the present fibro booking office. In c 1995 when the brick platform building on Platform 1/2 was demolished and replaced by the present steel framed platform canopy.

Plans dated 1999 for "Booking office modifications" show extensive alterations - re-cladding, some window relocations, and new internal fitout to the existing booking office. Also in 1999, steel canopies built over the footbridge and the stairs to Platforms 1/2.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Building the railway network-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Creative endeavour-Activities associated with the production and performance of literary, artistic, architectural and other imaginative, interpretive or inventive works; and/or associated with the production and expression of cultural phenomena; and/or environments that have inspired such creative activities. Evolution of design in railway engineering and architecture-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
St. Peters Railway Station is of historical significance as one of the earliest stations on the Illawarra Line and for its role in the development of the St Peters/Newtown area since 1884. Developed from 1884 to the present, St. Peters Railway Station demonstrates its development over time, retaining an 1884 platform building on Platform 3/4 and 1884 brick faced platforms; brick retaining walls and overbridge (1900) and Dorman Long & Co steel footbridge and stairs (1914).
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The steel footbridge and stairs have historical association with the renowned engineering firm Dorman Long & Co. which designed and manufactured these structures.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
St. Peters Railway Station, with its platform building, brick retaining walls, brick overbridge and steel footbridge and stairs is of aesthetic significance as a collection of late 19th to early 20th century railway station structures.

The fine third class Platform 3/4 building is of aesthetic significance as a simple late Victorian station building with awnings which demonstrate adaptability, having an original small 2 bay awning on Platform 3, and a later cantilevered awning to Platform 4 (the former street façade), demonstrating trends in Railway architecture in this time period.

The 1914 haunched beam steel footbridge structure and stairs designed and manufactured by renowned engineers Dorman Long & Co is of aesthetic/technical significance as a well designed engineering structure of this period and for its decorative features such as stair railings and star pattern newel posts.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The surviving interior and exterior detailing of the 1884 Platform 3/4 building and its awnings is considered rare on the Illawarra Line (one of only five stations on the Illawarra line with 3rd class platform building).
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The 1884 Platform 3/4 building is representative of 1880s railway station platform building design, being a standard third class platform building. It is very intact, including interiors.

The footbridge was identified as an item of high heritage significance in the 2016 ‘Railway Footbridges Heritage Conservation Strategy’. It is an extensive and intact haunched girder footbridge with a trestle substructure. It makes a strong visual contribution to the State significant St Peters Railway Precinct. The replacement of the balustrades to the footbridge detract from its significance. The 1914 footbridge is one of a number of examples of Dorman Long & Co steel footbridges of this period on the Illawarra Line (other examples at St. Peters, Erskineville).

The Overhead Booking Office at St Peters was identified as an item of little heritage significance in the 2014 ‘Railway OHBO Heritage Conservation Strategy’. The footbridge and overhead booking office are historically associated with the rail quadruplication works to the Cooks River in the 1910s. However, alterations to the overhead booking office detract from its aesthetic value and historic integrity, such that it is now difficult to interpret and has poor representative value. In contrast, the platform buildings and footbridge continue to have aesthetic and representative value.
Integrity/Intactness: The Platform 3/4 building is remarkably intact including its interior. The footbridge has been redecked with some modern balustrades but its otherwise intact. The booking office has poor integrity due to extensive alterations. The station as a whole lacks integrity due the loss of the Platform 1/2 building.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

1. Conservation principles: Conserve cultural heritage significance and minimise impacts on heritage values and fabric in accordance with the ‘Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance’. 2. Specialist advice: Seek advice from a qualified heritage specialist during all phases of a proposed project from feasibility, concept and option planning stage; detailed design; heritage approval and assessment; through to construction and finalisation. 3. Documentation: Prepare a Statement of Heritage Impact (SOHI) to assess, minimise and prevent heritage impacts as part of the assessment and approval phase of a project. Prepare a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) prior to proposing major works (such as new additions, change of use or proposed demolition) at all places of State significance and all complex sites of Local significance. 4. Maintenance and repair: Undertake annual inspections and proactive routine maintenance works to conserve heritage fabric in accordance with the ‘Minimum Standards of Maintenance & Repair’. 5. Movable heritage: Retain in situ and care for historic contents, fixtures, fittings, equipment and objects which contribute to cultural heritage significance. Return or reinstate missing features or relocated items where opportunities arise. 6. Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage: Consider all aspects of potential heritage significance as part of assessing and minimising potential impacts, including Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage. 7. Unidentified heritage items: Heritage inventory sheets do not describe or capture all contributory heritage items within an identified curtilage (such as minor buildings, structures, archaeology, landscape elements, movable heritage and significant interiors and finishes). Ensure heritage advice is sought on all proposed changes within a curtilage to conserve heritage significance. 8. Recording and register update: Record changes at heritage places through adequate project records and archival photography. Notify all changes to the Section 170 Heritage & Conservation Register administrator upon project completion.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage registerSRA s.170 Register    

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
State Rail Authority Heritage Register Study1999SRA153State Rail Authority  No
Heritage and Conservation Register State Rail Authority of NSW1993299Paul Davies for SRA  No
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes
Heritage Platforms Conservation Management Strategy2015 Australian Museum Consulting  Yes
Railway Footbridges Heritage Conservation Strategy 2016 NSW Government Architect’s Office Heritage Group  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Sands Directories 1887-1890 (accessed via The Newtown Project cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/newtownproject/Sands_Directory/sands_directory.html).
WrittenAustralian Museum Consulting2014Railway Overhead Booking Offices Heritage Conservation Strategy
WrittenC.C. Singleton1945The Illawarra Line: Wells Street to Hurstville, A.R.H.S. Bulletin Vol. XVI, No 94, August
WrittenDavid Sheedy2009Historical Research for RailCorp S170 Register Update
WrittenDonald Fraser1996Survey of Railway Footbridges (includes photo showing new, modern canopy on site of 1914 booking hall).
WrittenFrances Pollon (compiler, editor)1996The Book of Sydney Suburbs
WrittenRailway Digest (March)1990"St Peters upgrade"
WrittenState Rail Archives St Peters footbridge drawings: Drawings 10 - 101 to 103.

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4801153


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.