Banksia Railway Station Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Banksia Railway Station Group

Item details

Name of item: Banksia Railway Station Group
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Primary address: Railway Street, Banksia, NSW 2216
Local govt. area: Rockdale

Boundary:

North: a line across the railway tracks level with the northern side of Godfrey Street; East: boundary of railway property fronting Hattersley Street, incorporating the retaining wall;South: a line across the railway tracks level with the southern side of Judd Street; West: boundary of railway property fronting Railway Street, incorporating the retaining wall.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Railway StreetBanksiaRockdale  Primary Address
Hattersley StreetBanksiaRockdale  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 

Statement of significance:

Banksia Railway Station, constructed 1906 and extended in 1923 - inclusive of the platform buildings, platforms, pedestrian subway and brick retaining walls - is of local heritage significance. Banksia Railway Station is of historical significance as part of the early 20th century upgrading of the Illawarra Line, its buildings illustrating the progress of this upgrading from 1906 to 1923. The station is also of historical significance for its role as a major transport hub for the suburb of Banksia since 1906, and for its role in the development of the suburb of Banksia.

Banksia Railway Station is of aesthetic significance for its 1906 Platform 2/3 building, 1923 Platform 1 & 4 buildings, and 1923 pedestrian subway, ticket office and retaining walls, as intact representative railway station structures of their periods. Banksia Railway Station is of research significance for its ability to demonstrate design and construction techniques of the NSW Railways in the early 20th century (1906-1923). The 1923 pedestrian subway at Banksia, with its retaining walls and painted signage, is rare on the Illawarra Line. Banksia Railway Station is representative within the Illawarra Line context as a station which combines buildings from two periods.
Date significance updated: 22 May 09
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Commissioner Eddy, NSW Government Railway
Builder/Maker: NSW Government Railway, C. and E. Miller
Construction years: 1906-1923
Physical description: PRECINCT ELEMENTS
Platform 1 building (1923) type 11
Platform 2/3 Building (1906) type 11
Platform 4 building (1923) type 11
Platforms: Island platform (1906); two perimeter platforms (1923)
Pedestrian subway, steps, booking office (1923)
Brick retaining walls to Railway St and Hattersley Street (1923)

CONTEXT
The station is located between Railway St (on the west) and Hattersley St (on the east), and is entered from both streets via a pedestrian subway which accesses all platforms. There are two perimeter platforms and one island platform (Platforms 2/3).

PLATFORM 1 BUILDING (1923)
Exterior: A small painted brick single storey platform building with a skillion corrugated steel roof and a weatherboard waiting area at its northern end. The building is face brick on the Railway Street (west) elevation, with a weatherboard wall to the west elevation of the waiting area. The building has an awning with corrugated steel roof cantilevered on steel brackets mounted on stucco wall brackets. The weatherboard waiting area is open on its east side, facing the railway lines. The brick building has timber framed double hung windows, a 4-paned timber framed fanlight, and a modern timber flush door. The window on the southern elevation of the building is covered over. The bottom sash of the window on the north elevation has a single horizontal glazing bar. The waiting area has a timber valance. There are decorative stucco mouldings to window and door heads on the brick building.

Interior: Not accessed. The interior consists of a single room within the brick section of the building.

PLATFORM 2/3 BUILDING (1906)
Exterior: A painted brick single storey platform building with a gabled corrugated steel roof and skillion corrugated steel roofs over awnings on both sides. Gable ends to north and south feature rectangular timber louvred vents. The building features timber framed double hung windows (some missing) and two 8-paned fanlights. All doors are modern timber flush doors. The walls feature two decorative stucco mouldings, the upper being more elaborate, and windows have decorative stucco sills. Decorative stucco mouldings also surround the window and door heads. The awnings on both sides of this building are identical, with skillion corrugated steel roofs cantilevered on steel brackets mounted on decorative stucco wall brackets. The awnings have timber valances to each end (north and south). There is an original door opening to the male toilets at the southern end of the building, which also features a brick screen wall. One window has been bricked up, and a number of windows are missing, though the timber window frames remain in situ, the openings being filled with modern steel security screens. The doorways to the waiting room have modern metal security doors.

Interior: The interior of the building has ripple iron ceilings with metal ceiling roses. There is a chimney breast to the waiting area and original timber fitted seating. There is one original timber 4-panelled door extant in the women's toilets.

PLATFORM 4 BUILDING (1923)
Exterior: A small painted brick building with a gabled corrugated steel roof and tongue & grooved timbered eaves, a cantilevered corrugated steel skillion roofed awning on the west side only is cantilevered on steel brackets mounted on decorative stucco wall brackets, which are attached to a pair of pilasters either side of the central doorway. Windows and the central door are missing, the openings filled with modern steel security door and screens. The walls of the building feature two stucco mouldings, the upper being more elaborate, and deep stucco mouldings around the fanlight opening above the central doorway. There are also decorative stucco sills to the window openings. There are rectangular timber louvred vents with slightly arched heads to the gable ends.

Interior: The waiting room, which is the single interior space, has a timber battened plaster ceiling with timber cornices, plastered walls, a slate threshold, and original timber seating.

PLATFORMS
One island platform (1906); two perimeter platforms (1923), all with asphalt surfaces and brick edges.

PEDESTRIAN SUBWAY, STEPS, BOOKING OFFICE (1923)
Exterior: The brick pedestrian subway has entrances from Railway Street (west entry) and Hattersley Street (east entry). The entries from both streets have painted signs "Banksia Railway Station" above the subway entrances. The station entry steps to Platform 2/3 (the island platform) from the subway are protected with a hipped corrugated steel roofed brick structure which projects above the platform level. This structure has fixed timber framed windows each side. To the north, to shelter the booking office in the subway below, is another narrower, separate structure, also with brick walls and a hipped corrugated steel roof. This structure is also above the Platform 2/3 level. The booking office is located on the northern side of the subway.

Interior: The interior of the subway generally has painted brick walls and an asphalt floor. There is face brickwork within the area below the hipped roof. The subway roof has timber roof framing exposed. The brickwork to the corners of the subway entry to the Platform 2/3 steps is stop-chamfered. The interior of the booking office has plastered and painted brick walls, with a moulded plaster chair rail to the plaster walls. There is evidence of a former opening bricked up on the north (interior) wall of the booking office.

BRICK RETAINING WALLS (1923)
The brick retaining walls to both Railway Street and Hattersley Street (west and east sides respectively) of Banksia Railway Station are face brickwork, with a bull nose capping course. The retaining walls are approximately 1.5 to 2m in height, reducing in height to both north and south ends. Part of the retaining wall on the west (Railway St) side forms the base of the Platform 1 building. Along the Railway Street (west) side of the Station, the retaining wall extends from a point opposite the Godfrey Street intersection at the north end, to a point opposite the Judd Street intersection at the south end. On the Hattersley Street (east) side of the railway station, the brick retaining wall extends from a point opposite the Taylor Street intersection at the north end to a point at the south end on Hattersley Street opposite the rear of 345 Princes Highway. Part of the retaining wall on the east (Hattersley Street) side, forms a base for the Platform 4 building.

MOVABLE
Heritage-style lamp posts
Original and early door and window hardware (locks, strike plates, handles, bolts, sash sifts, sash locks etc).
Two unusual fully welded steel platform benches on Platform 3.
In staff office: cast iron safe no 51 with steel drawer inside, timber stationery organiser, collection of ticketing-related objects including ink stamps, ink pads, circular stamp holder, coin wrappers, various receipt books, click-clack credit card slider with “Banksia CityRail” inscribed, timber booking office coin (BOC) tray, small timber step ladder, metal “Electrical Instructions” box mounted to side of stationary organiser with signalling information cards inside dated 1930, orange hand lamp with “SM Banksia” in lettering, plastic CityRail information folders.
Platform waiting rooms: fitted timber benches, painted community wall mural featuring coastal banksia flowers by Leonie Morrison.
In storage: original timber fire surround, brick and cast iron grate and brick and concrete hearth in former SM office, early rare timber-framed noticeboard with timber backing board and covered with hessian, timber office desk (drawers missing), and timber pigeonhole shelving above, early timber ticket cabinet with steel ticket holders inside, timber tray holding series of rubber stamps, original/early timber mounting blocks for lights and power switches, chain brass light fittings, early cedar? desk with turned legs and two drawers, cast iron sleeper tongs.
Platform building: early wall and mosaic floor tiling in toilets, original timber toilet cubicles.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Platform 1 building (1923): Moderate.
Platform 2/3 Building (1906): good
Platform 4 building (1923): good
Platforms: Island platform (1906); two perimeter platforms (1923): good
Pedestrian subway, steps, booking office (1923): good
Brick retaining walls to Railway St and Hattersley Street (1923): good
Date condition updated:23 Mar 09
Modifications and dates: 1923: The original 1906 overhead booking office and footbridge were removed. Construction of the pedestrian subway, retaining walls, ticket office, and Platform 1 and 4 buildings.
N.d (modern): Platform 1 building (1923): covering over of windows. Platform 2/3 building (1906): modern metal security screen doors. One window has been bricked up, and a number of windows are missing, though the timber window frames remain in situ, with the openings being filled with modern steel security screens. The doorways to the waiting room have modern metal security doors. Platform 4 building (1923): Windows and the central door are missing, the openings filled with modern steel security door and screens.
N.d: Subway and booking office: painting of brickwork; modern ticket window; evidence of a former opening bricked up on the north (interior) wall of the booking office.
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Nil

History

Historical notes: The Banksia area was part of land owned by Simeon Pearce (1821-86) and his brother James Pearce in the 1850s, which extended from Rockdale to Brighton Le Sands. Until the late nineteenth century, the area was heavily timbered. Residential development began in the 1880s. Many names for the suburb were suggested but the final choice of Banksia came from Charles Stead, father of novelist Christina Stead.

The contractors C. and E. Miller built the original double track line from Illawarra Junction to Hurstville in 1884 but it was not until 1906 that an island platform station was completed at this location. The area developed more rapidly after the railway station opened on 21st October 1906.

The 1906 platform building was of a standard brick design with cantilevered awnings to each platform favoured by Commissioner Eddy: this type of platform building was to continue being built throughout the NSW rail system until the late 1920’s. When quadruplication of tracks was planned for Banksia it was first considered to retain the footbridge but finally it was substituted by a brick pedestrian subway in 1923 incorporating a booking office.

The buildings on the 1923 platforms are of similar design to the 1906 platform building but smaller, the Platform 1 building being brick with a timber waiting room while there is a still smaller waiting room building on Platform 4.

In 1926 all lines were electrified.

The subway at Banksia was subject to flooding during the 1930s: a 1933 newspaper article reported "Flood water damaged the line between Kingsgrove and Dumbleton and trains could not travel over that section. Water rose to a height of 6 ft. in the subway at Banksia Railway Station and train passengers had to climb through a fence to enter the carriages." (Argus, Melbourne, Tuesday 24 January 1933, page 7).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Building the railway network-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Creative endeavour-Activities associated with the production and performance of literary, artistic, architectural and other imaginative, interpretive or inventive works; and/or associated with the production and expression of cultural phenomena; and/or environments that have inspired such creative activities. Evolution of design in railway engineering and architecture-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Banksia Railway Station, constructed 1906, is of historical significance as part of the early 20th century upgrading of the Illawarra Line, its buildings illustrating the progress of this upgrading from 1906 to 1923. The station is also of historical significance for its role as a major transport hub for the suburb of Banksia since 1906, and its role in development of the suburb of Banksia.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Banksia Railway Station is of aesthetic significance for its 1906 Platform 2/3 building, 1923 Platform 1 and 4 buildings, and 1923 pedestrian subway, ticket office and retaining walls, as intact representative railway station structures of their periods. The platform buildings illustrate the gradual change in style of station buildings in the early 20th century.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Banksia Railway Station is of research significance for its ability to demonstrate NSW Railways design and construction techniques of the early 20th century (1906-1923).
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The 1923 pedestrian subway at Banksia, with its retaining walls and painted signage, is rare on the Illawarra Line (only known example).
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Banksia Railway Station is representative within the Illawarra Line context as a station which combines buildings from two periods - 1906 and 1923- and includes a pedestrian subway.
Integrity/Intactness: The station buildings are relatively intact. Alterations include painting of brickwork, removal of windows and doors.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

1. Conservation principles: Conserve cultural heritage significance and minimise impacts on heritage values and fabric in accordance with the ‘Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance’. 2. Specialist advice: Seek advice from a qualified heritage specialist during all phases of a proposed project from feasibility, concept and option planning stage; detailed design; heritage approval and assessment; through to construction and finalisation. 3. Documentation: Prepare a Statement of Heritage Impact (SOHI) to assess, minimise and prevent heritage impacts as part of the assessment and approval phase of a project. Prepare a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) prior to proposing major works (such as new additions, change of use or proposed demolition) at all places of State significance and all complex sites of Local significance. 4. Maintenance and repair: Undertake annual inspections and proactive routine maintenance works to conserve heritage fabric in accordance with the ‘Minimum Standards of Maintenance & Repair’. 5. Movable heritage: Retain in situ and care for historic contents, fixtures, fittings, equipment and objects which contribute to cultural heritage significance. Return or reinstate missing features or relocated items where opportunities arise. 6. Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage: Consider all aspects of potential heritage significance as part of assessing and minimising potential impacts, including Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage. 7. Unidentified heritage items: Heritage inventory sheets do not describe or capture all contributory heritage items within an identified curtilage (such as minor buildings, structures, archaeology, landscape elements, movable heritage and significant interiors and finishes). Ensure heritage advice is sought on all proposed changes within a curtilage to conserve heritage significance. 8. Recording and register update: Record changes at heritage places through adequate project records and archival photography. Notify all changes to the Section 170 Heritage & Conservation Register administrator upon project completion.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
State Rail Authority Heritage Register Study1999SRA160State Rail Authority  No
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes
Heritage Platforms Conservation Management Strategy2015 Australian Museum Consulting  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  www.rockdale.nsw.gov.au/Pages/Rockdale_Sub_Banksia.aspx
WrittenArticle on flooding at Banksia Railway Station1938The Canberra Times of 1 February 1938
WrittenArticle on flooding at Banksia Railway Station1933The Argus (Melbourne) Tuesday 24 January 1933 issue
WrittenC.C. Singleton1945The Illawarra line - Wells Street to Hurstville, ARH.S.. Bulletin Vol, III, No 95, Sept
WrittenDavid Sheedy2009Historical Research for RailCorp S170 Register Update

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4801160


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.