Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station and Residence | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station and Residence

Item details

Name of item: Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station and Residence
Other name/s: Shellharbour Railway Station
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Primary address: Shellharbour Road - West Of, Northeast of Princes Highway Intersection With Shellharbour Road, Dunmore, NSW 2529
Local govt. area: Shellharbour

Boundary:

North: a line running across the railway lines and along the northern boundary of Lot 1, DP 1055508 (to include Station Master's residence); East: boundary of RailCorp property, fronting Shellharbour Road at the south-eastern corner; South: boundary of RailCorp property fronting Shellharbour Road; West: boundary of RailCorp property parallel to the Princes Highway.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Shellharbour Road - West Of, Northeast of Princes Highway Intersection With Shellharbour RoadDunmoreShellharbour  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 

Statement of significance:

The Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station and residence is of state historical significance for its rare awning-less 1887 platform building (only 2 other examples on the Illawarra line), 1891 milk shed/out-of-room and central section of Platform 2 (among the earliest surviving structures on the Illawarra line), and for its early (1887) brick example of a 'J2' station masters residence design. The 1925 signal box, Platform 1, Platform 2 extension and moveable items are of historical significance as evidence of later upgrading of the station since 1925, and the residence is also of historical significance as evidence of late 19th century railway operational requirements to accommodate railway station staff on site.

Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station is of aesthetic significance for its open setting affording views to the Illawarra escarpment, and for its collection of weatherboard buildings and platforms dating from 1887. The 1887 station building on Platform 2 is of aesthetic significance as a rare weatherboard awning-less design station building. The residence is of aesthetic significance as a good representative example of a vernacular Victorian Georgian style dwelling, a precursor of the standard J2 Station Master's residence design, purpose-built for accommodation of the Station Master, and for its unusual siting, facing away from the railway station, some 100 metres distance from the station on a small hilltop with extensive views, and brick construction (despite the Dunmore station buildings being weatherboard).

The 1891 milk shed (aka out-of-room) is a rare early structure which has a later extension and conversion to a new use. The range of platform structures demonstrate the expansion of the station over time. The 1925 signal box is a good example of a simple signal box of this period of added significance as it contains the original signal levers.
Date significance updated: 13 Jun 17
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1887-1914
Physical description: PRECINCT ELEMENTS
Platform 2 buildings (from south to north):
- Out of Room (aka Old Milk Shed) (1891, extended 1908)
- Platform 2 Shelter (modern)
- Platform building (1887)
- Signal box (1925)
Flat-roofed metal shed at car park level (modern)
Toilet block (c. 1970s)
Platform 2 (1887, 1940)
Station Masters Residence (c. 1887) (J2)
Cyclone wire fencing and gates to residence site boundaries (2006)
Moveable items: signal levers (1925), station signs

Elements no longer extant:
Platform 1 (c. 1940)
Platform 1 Ramp and Shelter (modern).


CONTEXT
The station is entered via a modern station entry ramp with white powdercoated aluminium fencing leading onto Platform 2. The carpark is accessed off Shellharbour Road, which is located immediately to the east of Platform 2. The entry to the carpark off Shellharbour Road is approximately 50m northwest of the intersection of Shellharbour Road and the Princes Highway. There are two wayside platforms: Platform 2 on the east side of the station dates from 1887, extended c.1940, and has a range of weatherboard buildings 1887-1925. Platform 1 on the west side of the rail lines is a later c. 1940s structure on a steel base with a concrete deck and asphalt surface. The Railway station perimeters are defined by white powder coated aluminium pool fencing. The residence site is also accessed off Shellharbour Road. The residence is located approximately 100 metres to the northeast of the Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station, on a cyclone wire fenced and gated site with one major tree to the southwest (rear) of the residence. The front façade of the residence faces north, away from the railway station. The residence is sited prominently on the side of the hill (which may account for its distance from the railway station and its orientation).

OUT-OF-ROOM (1891, extended 1908) (aka former Milk shed)
Exterior: A weatherboard rectangular building with a skillion corrugated steel roof located on the southern end of Platform 2 with rear access at high level from the roadway behind. Both the platform and road (car park - east) elevations feature pairs of timber tongue & grooved sliding doors.

Interior: Not accessed 2009.

PLATFORM 2 SHELTER (modern)
Exterior: A simple steel framed structure with metal mesh infill panel walls, open on car park (east) side.

PLATFORM BUILDING (1887)
Exterior: A weatherboard building with a corrugated steel gabled roof, with brick pier foundations with metal ant caps. The building has simple timber barge boards at north and south ends. The building is without awnings to either side. Entrance to the building is from the platform and the building provides a central waiting room and Station Master's office. The entrance to the waiting room is a large originally open arch with curved head and decorative timber valance, the opening now infilled with modern 4 panel timber doors and glass louvres. Windows are timber framed double hung, each sash having a single vertical glazing bar. There is an extension in weatherboard at the northern end of the building with a lower corrugated steel skillion roof, which links this building to the signal box.

Interior: Timber tongue & grooved board ceilings and wall linings (likely to date from 1925 refurbishment), with the exception of the west interior (infill) wall, which is lined with gyprock panels with timber battens. Entry to the Station Master's office is from the waiting area.

SIGNAL BOX (1925)
Exterior: A small weatherboard building on the platform with a skillion corrugated steel roof and timber framed double hung windows with vertical glazing bars. The building is linked to the southern side of the 1887 platform building with a simple small skillion roofed enclosed linking structure, also dating from 1925.

Interior: Timber tongue & grooved board ceiling and wall lining. Original signal levers in place inside.

FLAT ROOFED METAL SHED (modern)
Exterior: Located towards the northern end of Platform 2, just north of the signal box, at car park (not platform) level, is a simple metal shed with a flat roof.

Interior: Not accessed 2009.

TOILET BLOCK (c. 1970s)
Exterior: Red brick, skillion corrugated steel flat roof.

Interior: Unlined red brick walls, 1970s fitout.

PLATFORM 2 (1887-1940)
A perimeter platform on the east side of the station. The original section of Platform 2 upon which the 1891 Out-of-Room, 1887 platform building and 1925 signal box sit, is an elevated concrete slab on an open frame with concrete piers and concrete surface. This appears to be original, dating from 1887 (based on evidence from historic photo on wall of platform building waiting room), however original timber piers have been replaced with concrete piers. The platform extension to the northern end (c. 1940) is an elevated concrete slab on an open frame of old rails.

STATION MASTERS RESIDENCE (c.1887)
Exterior: The residence is a freestanding single storey brick house, in a vernacular Victorian Georgian style with a symmetrical façade facing north, with central doorway flanked by windows either side. The residence has a gabled corrugated steel main roof (with gable ends facing east and west) with two painted brick chimneys to the ridge. There is a rear skillion roofed section to the southwest (rear) corner of the house, with one painted brick chimney. Each of the chimneys feature projecting brick bands with dentillation between the top two bands. Each gable end features a simple timber barge board. The house has rendered brick side walls and a painted brick façade, with weatherboard walls to the rear skillion roofed section. Window and door openings are now boarded up for security, however the front door is a timber 4 panelled door (one panel damaged) with a fanlight, and the original windows are timber framed double hung, with single vertical glazing bars to each sash. An original skillion roofed rear verandah (south elevation) has been enclosed with weatherboard walls and timber framed windows.

Interior: Timber floors (extensively damaged or deteriorated - the floor is mostly missing in the main central room); plaster ceilings, timber joinery. All fireplaces have had mantelpieces removed. The 2 front rooms, which open off a central hallway have c.1920s ceilings with decorative plaster and timber battens. There are timber board floors and high timber moulded skirting boards, timber architraves and picture rails. There are no internal doors or mantelpieces (these appear to have been removed throughout the house). The front hallway terminates in a main central room, with another bedroom opening off it to the right. These two rooms are similar in detailing to the front bedrooms, both with mantelpieces missing from fireplaces. There is an original slate threshold to the original rear doorway (which has no door), which also features a fanlight. The original kitchen has a brick hearth for an old fuel stove, with a timber mantel. Beyond the original rear doorway is one original rear timber stop-chamfered verandah post. The kitchen and rear verandah area have timber tongue and grooved ceilings. The bathroom has a circa 1970s fitout.

LANDSCAPE/NATURAL ELEMENTS
There are some trees and shrubs at the eastern perimeter of Platform 2 (east platform). However, the setting of the station is essentially very open in nature, affording views to the Illawarra escarpment. The residence site is largely grassed; however there is a large tree to the southwest (eucalyptus, species unknown). The residence is sited prominently on the side of the hill and is clearly visible from both the Princes Highway and Shellharbour Road.

MOVEABLE ITEMS
NSW Railway heritage listed sites contain significant collections of stored movable railway heritage, including furniture, signs, operational objects, ex-booking office and ticketing objects, paper records, clocks, memorabilia, indicator boards and artwork. Individually, these objects are important components of the history of each site. Together, they form a large and diverse collection of movable objects across the NSW rail network. Sydney Trains maintains a database of movable heritage. For up-to-date information on all movable heritage items at this site, contact the Sydney Trains heritage team.
Key items at this station include but are not limited to:
- Signal levers located within the 1925 signal box; historical photos mounted and hung on the walls of the 1887 Platform building waiting room.
- 3 x ‘SRA’ platform signs have been salvaged and stored on site.

ELEMENTS NO LONGER EXTANT
PLATFORM 1 (c. 1940)
A perimeter platform on the western side of the station, being an elevated concrete slab on an open frame of old rails with an asphalt surface.
PLATFORM 1 SHELTER (modern)
Colorbond shelter shed, open on platform side.
Both the platform 1 structure and shelter were removed after the station was decommissioned in 2014.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Out-of-Room (1891 extended 1908): Good
Platform 2 Shelter (modern): Very good
Platform building (1887): Good
Signal box (1925): Good
Flat-roofed metal shed at car park level (modern): Very good
Toilet block (c. 1970s): Good
Platform 2 (1887, 1940): Good
Station Masters residence (1887): Poor
Moveable items: signal levers (1925): Good
Date condition updated:12 Jul 09
Modifications and dates: 1891: milk shed (later converted to Out-of-Room) added to station
1908: milk shed extended
1923: goods siding added to station
1925: Signal box and linking structure to 1887 platform building built; 1887 platform building refurbished.
1940 and prior: milk shed extended, original separate toilet building demolished
1968: Stockyards demolished
1970 and prior: gent’s toilet built at north end of Platform 2
Since 1970: goods siding and related structures demolished; Platform 1 built
2006: Cyclone wire boundary fencing and gates added to residence site.
N.d: milk shed converted into an Out-of-Room, lamp room demolished, chimney to 1887 platform building demolished; infill of open west side of waiting room to 1887 Platform building with modern timber doors, and addition of. modern steel security screens to windows and doors.
N.d: Weatherboard rear verandah to residence enclosure and weatherboard rear skillion roofed addition, south elevation.
2006: Cyclone wire boundary fencing and gates added to residence.
2014: Station decommissioned. Platform 1 structure and shelter removed.
Further information: Signal box may be earlier, however further evidence is needed to confirm a date of c.1914.
Current use: Nil - Decommissioned November 2014
Former use: Railway Station

History

Historical notes: The township of Shellharbour was laid out in 1851 around the port of Shellharbour, on the Peterborough Estate. Shellharbour (Municipal) Council was constituted on 4 June 1859 and the chambers, built in 1865 were located in Addison Street, Shellharbour. Dunmore had a post office in 1890. The Council relocated to Albion Park in 1897, coinciding with the decline of Shellharbour (Village) and the growth of Albion Park as a lucrative beef and dairy cattle district (Our History page on www.shellharbour.nsw.gov.au).

The Illawarra railway line from Wollongong to Scarborough was opened as an isolated line on 21st June 1887 with an extension to Bombo (North Kiama) from Wollongong opened on 9th November 1887. Finally on 3rd October 1888 the connection to the northern Sydney section was made. An extension of the line from Bombo south to Bomaderry was completed in 1893.

Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station was in the section of the line opened in November 1887. The awning-less Platform 2 building is original (1887), the Out-of-Room (aka old milk shed) was constructed in 1891 and extended in 1908. The signal box was constructed in 1925 (plans dated 19.12.1925).

The 1887 Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station Master's residence is a relatively early brick example of the J2 design Station Master's residence, having been constructed in 1887 prior to the issue of the series of standard plans by the office of Henry Deane (Engineer-in-Chief for Railways Construction 1891-1901) for these buildings in 1899. Though Henry Deane was acting in this position from 1889 (after the retirement of John Whitton, Railways Commissioner), due to the 1887 construction date of this Station Master's residence, association of the design with Henry Deane is uncertain.

Plans dated 1907 show the railway station (from south to north) with a Gatekeeper's cottage (no longer extant) at the Shellharbour Road level crossing; platform with ramps at each end and a ramp north of the platform building; a milk shed; platform building with water tank at south end; lamp room and separate WC (toilet) building; cattle yards to the northeast of the platform building; and the Station Master's residence with underground water tank to the northeast of the station.

In 1923 a small line was linked to the main line at Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station to allow the blue metal quarry at Dunmore (which had operated since at least c. 1905) to access the rail network. The extra rail traffic generated by this may have given rise to the 1925 refurbishment plans which led to the construction of the signal box and the refurbishment of the 1887 platform building to provide a ladies' waiting room at the southern end; refurbished central waiting area in the centre (marked on plans as "waiting shed" indicating its open nature); a refurbished room at the northern end of the building for multiple use as Station Master's office, booking office and parcels office; and an awning roof to connect the Station Master's office etc. to a doorway into the new 1925 signal box at the southern end of the platform building. Plans dating from 1929 also show proposed additions to the Gatehouse.

Plans dated 1940 with later notations show the station in a similar form to those of 1907, however with the platform extended (notation on platform "Earth filled - Sleeper face - Timber top"); an enlarged milk shed; the earlier WC crossed out (indicating its demolition); the stockyards noted as "recovered 1968" (demolished); and a new ramp to the northeast of the platform building marked "Pioneer Concrete Pty Ltd Siding No. 2 40' ramp".

Plans dated 1970 show the Gatekeeper's cottage no longer extant; the goods siding clearly shown to the east of the platform and platform buildings, with an unloading platform and shed adjacent to the west of the siding; and a gent's toilet at the northern end of the platform. At this time the platform building is shown with 2 water tanks (one at the southern end, one between the signal box and the platform building) with an internal plan showing (north to south): parcels office, waiting room and ladies toilet.

The goods siding and associated structures have all been removed since 1970.

On 19 November 2014, the station was decommissioned, following the opening of the new Shellharbour Station to the north. Shortly thereafter, Platform 1 structure and shelter was removed.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Communication-Activities relating to the creation and conveyance of information Signalling and safe working-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Forestry-Activities associated with identifying and managing land covered in trees for commercial purposes. Timber-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Pastoralism-Activities associated with the breeding, raising, processing and distribution of livestock for human use Servicing the pastoral industry-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Building the railway network-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Transport of goods-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Servicing and Accommodating Railway Employees-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station is of state historical significance for its rare awning-less 1887 platform building and 1891 milk shed/Out-of-Room and central section of Platform 2 which are among the earliest surviving structures on the Illawarra line. The 1925 signal box, Platform 2 extension and moveable items are of historical significance as evidence of later upgrading of the station since 1925. The later conversion of the 1891 milk shed to an Out-of-Room illustrates the declining use of rail transport by the dairying industry in the 20th century.

Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station Master's residence is of State historical significance as part of the overall Shellharbour Railway Station Group, as evidence of late 19th century railway operational requirements to accommodate railway station staff on site, as an early (1887) brick example of a J2 Station Master's residence design, constructed prior to the issue of a series of standard plans for railway residences in 1899, and for its historical association with the first phase of construction of the Illawarra line.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station is of aesthetic significance for its open setting affording views to the Illawarra escarpment, for its collection of weatherboard buildings and platforms dating from 1887. The 1887 Platform 2 building is of aesthetic significance as a rare weatherboard awning-less design station building. The 1891 milk shed (aka Out-of-Room) is a rare early structure which has later extension and conversion to a new use. The platform structures show expansion of the station over time. The 1925 signal box is a good example of a simple signal box of this period.

Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station Master's residence is of aesthetic significance as a vernacular Victorian Georgian style dwelling of the J2 Station Master's residence design, purpose-built for accommodation of the Station Master. The Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station Master's residence is also of aesthetic significance for its unusual siting, facing away from the railway station, some 100 metres distance from the station on a small hilltop with extensive views.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The 1887 awning-less weatherboard Platform 2 building is a rare platform building, one of only three of this design on the Illawarra line (with other examples at Bombo and Berry, the one at Berry having a 1901 awning addition). All examples of this type of platform buildings on the Illawarra line are weatherboard. The 1891 milk shed (later extended and converted to an Out-of-Room) is a rare survivor of this type of station building. The platform structures at Dunmore are rare examples of open types of platform structures (only other example on the Illawarra line is at Bombo), the original central section of Platform 2 being particularly significant, despite later alteration.

The residence is rare as a precursor to the standard J2 design and exhibits the features of this design. The Station Master's residence is unusual for its siting facing away from the station, and brick construction materials though it is associated with a railway station with weatherboard buildings.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station is a representative rural station retaining structures from the period 1887-1925. The weatherboard signal box (1925) is representative and typical of signal boxes of this period, and has added significance for retaining its signal levers. With 20 levers it is a larger example than other comparable structures.

The Station Master's residence is a good representative example of a J2 design brick Station Master's residence, pre-dating the 1899 issue of standard plans for railway residences.
Integrity/Intactness: The structures have some level of alteration (particularly 1925 alterations) and the station has lost its goods yard and sidings, however remaining early structures are relatively intact externally. The original section of Platform 2 has had original timber piers and surface replaced with concrete piers and decking. The signal box is intact with signalling equipment remaining. The Station Master's residence is relatively intact externally, poor condition internally with removal of much of the interior features.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

1. Conservation principles: Conserve cultural heritage significance and minimise impacts on heritage values and fabric in accordance with the ‘Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance’. 2. Specialist advice: Seek advice from a qualified heritage specialist during all phases of a proposed project from feasibility, concept and option planning stage; detailed design; heritage approval and assessment; through to construction and finalisation. 3. Documentation: Prepare a Statement of Heritage Impact (SOHI) to assess, minimise and prevent heritage impacts as part of the assessment and approval phase of a project. Prepare a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) prior to proposing major works (such as new additions, change of use or proposed demolition) at all places of State significance and all complex sites of Local significance. 4. Maintenance and repair: Undertake annual inspections and proactive routine maintenance works to conserve heritage fabric in accordance with the ‘Minimum Standards of Maintenance & Repair’. 5. Movable heritage: Retain in situ and care for historic contents, fixtures, fittings, equipment and objects which contribute to cultural heritage significance. Return or reinstate missing features or relocated items where opportunities arise. 6. Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage: Consider all aspects of potential heritage significance as part of assessing and minimising potential impacts, including Aboriginal, archaeology and natural heritage. 7. Unidentified heritage items: Heritage inventory sheets do not describe or capture all contributory heritage items within an identified curtilage (such as minor buildings, structures, archaeology, landscape elements, movable heritage and significant interiors and finishes). Ensure heritage advice is sought on all proposed changes within a curtilage to conserve heritage significance. 8. Recording and register update: Record changes at heritage places through adequate project records and archival photography. Notify all changes to the Section 170 Heritage & Conservation Register administrator upon project completion.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage registerSRA s.170 Register    
Heritage studyIllawarra RegionalSH02-0601 Sep 94   
Heritage studyShellharbour EuropeanD 4.321 Aug 95   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
State Rail Authority Heritage Register Study1999SRA910State Rail Authority  No
Heritage and Conservation Register State Rail Authority of NSW199316Paul Davies for SRA  No
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes
S170 Heritage & Conservation Register Update2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes
Heritage Platforms Conservation Management Strategy2015 Australian Museum Consulting  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 2009www.shellharbour.nsw.gov.au/FileData/pdf/thematic_history.pdf
WrittenAndrea Humphreys and Anna London2005Shellharbour City Council Heritage Study: Thematic History
WrittenDavid Sheedy2009Historical Research for RailCorp S170 Register Update
GraphicNSW Railways1925Plans for Shellharbour: Proposed alterations to station buildings dated 24.12.1925

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4801910


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.