Wagga Wagga Court House | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Wagga Wagga Court House

Item details

Name of item: Wagga Wagga Court House
Type of item: Built
Primary address: Fitzmaurice Street, Wagga Wagga, NSW 2650
Local govt. area: Wagga Wagga
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Fitzmaurice StreetWagga WaggaWagga Wagga  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The Wagga Wagga Court House is a large and visually stimulating public building complex that occupies a prominent corner site within the town and is one of the finest examples of its type in Australia. This building, along with the Bourke Court House is a rare and largely unaltered example of the creativity of the Government Architects' office at the turn of the century. The clock tower is a city landmark. (Sheedt 1976) and (Schwager Brooks and Partners Pty. Ltd.)..
Date significance updated: 20 Jul 98
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Walter Liberty Vernon
Construction years: 1900-1902
Physical description: The Wagga Wagga Court House is a large and visually stimulating assymmetrically designed building. It occupies a corner site and is comprised of several pavillions. It is dominated by a massive square clock tower .The court house is constructed of face brickwork relieved by sandstone string courses and panels of rough cast stucco. These contrasting building materials create interest when combined with an eclectic combination of decorative details.

The style is basically Edwardian with Venetian and Saracenic influence revealed in the campanile, umbrella shaped roof cupolas and arrangement of pavillions around courtyards linked by arcaded, open loggias which are used to replace internal corridors. The main entrance to the court room is by monumental stairways at the side street while the entrance to the court offices is through an archway in the main street caped by two moulded royal crowns. Roofs are hipped in form and sheeted with rolled, seamed non-ferrous material. Roof eaves are generous and bracketed by decorative ironwork while the simple spreading roof forms are well suited to a Riverina town (Sheedy 1976) and (Schwager Brooks and Partners Pty Ltd).

The interiors are particularly fine, having face brick and stucco decorated walls and polished cedar fittings and joinery.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building is in excellent condition having recently been renovated (Sheedy 1976).
Date condition updated:20 Jul 98
Current use: Court House

History

Historical notes: The Wagga Wagga Court House was designed by the then Government Architect Walter Liberty Vernon. Tenders for its construction were called in 1899 and was won by Charles Hardy & Co. of Wagga. The clock tower was not included in the original design or tender but was awarded to the same contractor in 1901. The foundation stone was laid by the Hon. E.W. O'Sullivan, Secretary for Works on 3/12/1900. The bulk of the building was completed by 1902 at a final cost of 12710-8-4 pounds (Sheedy 1976) and (Schwager Brooks and Partners Pty. Ltd.).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
7. Governing-Governing Law and order-Activities associated with maintaining, promoting and implementing criminal and civil law and legal processes (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This building, along with the Bourke Court House is a rare and intact example of the dreativity of the Government Architects office at the turn of the century (Schwager Brooks and Partners Pty. Ltd.).
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Wagga Wagga Court House is a large and visually stimulating Federation Free Styled public building complex that occupies a prominent corner site within the town (Schwager Brooks and Partners Pty. Ltd.). The clock tower is a city landmark (Sheedy 1976).
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This building, along with the Bourke Court House is a rare and intact example of the creativity of the Government Archirects office at the turn of the century (Schwager Brooks and Partners Pty. Ltd.).
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register 9100H   
Development Control Plan     
National Trust of Australia register   31 May 76   
Register of the National Estate 000719   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Register of the National Estate
WrittenD. Sheedy1976National Trust (NSW) Classification Card
WrittenSchwager Brooks and Partners Pty Ltd1993Department of Courts Administration Heritage and Conservation Register

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 5001372


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.