Pipe Organ from Bourke Street Congregational Church (former) | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Pipe Organ from Bourke Street Congregational Church (former)

Item details

Name of item: Pipe Organ from Bourke Street Congregational Church (former)
Other name/s: Forster and Andrews Pipe Organ; Dural Uniting Church Pipe Organ
Type of item: Movable / Collection
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church Pipe Organ
Location: Lat: -33.6475369242 Long: 151.0439589540
Primary address: 11 School Road, Galston, NSW 2159
Local govt. area: Hornsby

Boundary:

The SHR curtilage boundary is limited to the item itself and does not include the land it is located on or the structure it is housed within.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
11 School RoadGalstonHornsby  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Uniting Church of AustraliaReligious Organisation29 Mar 99

Description

Builder/Maker: Forster and Andrews
Physical description: Pipe organ
Further information: Formerly located in the Bourke Street Congregational Church, Darlinghurst; now located in the Dural Uniting Church

History

Historical notes: The organ was built in 1887 by Forsters and Andrews (Hull, England), for the Congregational Church, Bourke Street, Darlinghurst, to a specification designed by Mr Thomas Sharpe, organist of All Saints, Woollahra.

Installation was carried out by Mr Charles Richardson. The organ was a gift to the church by the three Misses Baxter, the original purchase cost being 746 pounds plus 50 pounds for freight and erection.

The formal opening of the organ was at a service on Sunday 10th June, 1888, at which Thomas Sharpe was the organist.

The organ was regularly used for worship over the next eighty years. Following church union, the Fellowship of Congregational Churches sold the Darlinghurst property in 1984. The organ remained on the site for a further three years.

A small group from the Dural Uniting Church began to investigate the possibility of including this organ into the new building development on the Galston site. Enthusiasm for the proposal grew, and following a petition and Parish Council approval, an application was submitted to the Heritage Council of New South Wales for permission to remove the Heritage Fosters & Andrews organ from the Congregational Church building, Bourke Street, Darlinghurst. Also submitting an application was SCEGGS Redlands Cremorne, and on 3rd July, 1986, the SCEGGS Redlands application was successful.

Since the Dural application was unsuccessful, application was made to St Albans Anglican Church to purchase their 1890 Telford and Telford pipe organ. This application was accepted, and the organ was removed and stored for refurbishing in January 1987.

On or about 14th August, 1986, the Galston congregation was notified that SCEGGS Redlands were undecided about finalising the purchase of the Foster & Andrews organ. Purchase of the organ by the Galston congregation was concluded by 25th August, 1986, for the sum of $8,500. An application to the Heritage Council of New South Wales on 2nd October, 1986, approved the removal of the organ from the Darlinghurst site, and installation of it in our new Church at 11 School Road Galston.

It was then decided to offer the Telford and Telford organ from St Albans church (with some refurbishment) for sale. St Marks Anglican at Granville purchased the organ for $20,000.

The removal of the Fosters & Andrews organ was carried out in November 1986 and February 1987. It was stored for refurbishment, and this long and laborious task continued over the next 6 years.

Galston Uniting Church was opened and dedicated on the 22nd October 1988, and the organ has been gradually installed since that time. The majority of the work was done by volunteers over 7 years, with over 3000 person hours of work. Supervision of the work was by Brown and Arkley, with the consultant for the Heritage Council of New South Wales being Mr Christopher Dearnley. The final installation detail, tuning and voicing has been undertaken by Ian Brown and Associates.

The organ has been fully refurbished and installed in its new location, and the specification is unchanged from when it was built.

On the 6th of June 1993, the organ was re-dedicated. Our prayers are added to that of the Baxter sisters who at the original dedication on 12th June 1888, prayed that "the organ will ever be used for the purpose for which it has primarily been given, namely to glorify God by assisting the congregation to sing His praises." (http://galstonunitingchurch.com/pipe-organ/)

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions ORDER UNDER SECTION 57(2) OF THE HERITAGE ACT 1977

Standard exemptions for engaging in or carrying out activities / works otherwise prohibited by section 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977.

I, Donald Harwin, the Special Minister of State pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales do by this Order, effective 1 December 2020:

1. revoke the order made on 11 July 2008 and published on pages 91177 to 9182 of Government Gazette Number 110 of 5 September 2008 and varied by notice published in the Government Gazette on 5 March 2015; and

2. grant the exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977 that are described in the attached Schedule.

Donald Harwin
Special Minister of State
Signed this 9th Day of November 2020.

To view the standard exemptions for engaging in or carrying out activities / works otherwise prohibited by section 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977 click on the link below.
Nov 13 2020

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0038202 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0038212 Jul 85 1033473

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
ElectronicGalston Unting Church Webpage Galston Uniting Church View detail

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage NSW
Database number: 5001479
File number: S90/04505


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.