Albion Park Railway Station Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Albion Park Railway Station Group

Item details

Name of item: Albion Park Railway Station Group
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -34.56261468070 Long: 150.79846051200
Primary address: Princes Highway, Albion Park Rail, NSW 2527
Local govt. area: Shellharbour
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Illawarra

Boundary:

North: 5m north of the platform ends East: the boundary of RailCorp property fronting Burroo Street and the park on the western side of Burroo Street; South: 5m south of the platform ends West: the boundary of RailCorp property (including the car park accessed off the Princes Highway).
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Princes HighwayAlbion Park RailShellharbour  Primary Address
Burroo StreetAlbion Park RailShellharbour  Alternate Address
Illawarra railwayAlbion Park RailShellharbour  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government21 Oct 98

Statement of significance:

Albion Park Rail Station - including its 1887 platform building, lamp room, out-of-room and original Platform 1, 1890 signal box, and movable items - is of State heritage significance. Albion Park Railway Station is of State historical significance as a railway station which was a major goods yard servicing the dairy and pastoral industry, retaining structures built from 1887-1890, constructed prior to the standardisation of railway design and being among the last "old" design station buildings built.

The station retains its physical association with the Central Co-operative Dairy Company factory built in 1913 with a siding, and with the extant station masters residence at 197 Princes Highway (residence no longer in RailCorp ownership). The weatherboard station buildings are of State aesthetic significance as a rare collection of vernacular weatherboard late Victorian period railway station buildings dating from 1887-1890, the platform building being one of the two most intact (with Bulli) of four extant examples of weatherboard platform buildings of a design known as "third class station buildings" on the Illawarra line. Early signalling equipment within the signal box (signal levers, staff instrument) is representative of historical railway signalling technology.
Date significance updated: 18 Apr 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: NSW Government Railway
Builder/Maker: William Monie & Company (Station) D. Proudfoot & T Logan (Single rail line)
Construction years: 1887-1887
Physical description: PRECINCT ELEMENTS
Platform building (1887) (Type 4 - 3rd class)
Lamp Room (1887)
Signal box (1890)
Out of Room (aka parcels office, aka Museum Waiting Room) (1887)
Platform 1 (1887)
Platform 2 (2001)
Moveable items: Signal levers, staff instrument in signal box; framed historic photographs in out-of-room (aka Museum Waiting Room).
Toilet block (c. 1970s)
Platform 2 Platform Shelter (2001)

CONTEXT:
The station is located to the east of the Princes Highway at Albion Park Rail, accessed off the Princes Highway via a road and station car park on the western side of the station. On the eastern side, there is pedestrian access to the station from The Strand and Burroo Street, through a park and across a pedestrian level crossing. The station perimeter is defined by white powder coated aluminium fencing.

PLATFORM BUILDING (1887)
Exterior: A single storey weatherboard building with a corrugated steel gabled roof with skillion corrugated steel platform awning. The roof has two brick chimneys. The awning to the railway (east) side of the building has decorative timber valances and timber posts, and later ceiling with timber battens. The building has two painted brick chimneys. There are some aluminium framed windows, including in the current storeroom. The platform building has a later skillion roofed canopy with weatherboard wall to the west (railway) side, blocked up windows, steps to north and south, modern steel posts to the awning with skillion roof to north side of porch. The building has a brick base on the west (Princes Highway) side.

Interior (Partially accessed 2009): The building originally contained (from south to north) a booking office, general waiting room, ladies room and toilets. It has retained a central waiting room (the original general waiting room), open to the platform, a station masters office and a ladies waiting room. The storeroom retains a chimney breast. There is a modern ticket window, and modern tiles to the entry area, and some modern timber flush doors.

LAMP ROOM (1887)
Exterior: This is a small weatherboard building with corrugated steel skillion roof, located at the southern end of the Platform 1 group. There is a door on the west side (opening into the car park).

Interior: Not accessed 2009.

SIGNAL BOX (1890)
Exterior: The signal box is located between the platform building and the out-of-room, and is joined on either side to these two buildings. It is a weatherboard signal box with a corrugated steel skillion roof.

Interior: carpeted floor, weatherboard walls and ceiling. The interior contains an early staff instrument and signals.

OUT OF ROOM (1887)
Exterior: Located at the north end of Platform 1, this is a weatherboard single storey building with a corrugated steel skillion roof. The building features timber tongue & grooved double sliding doors to both the east ( platform) and west elevations.

Interior: The Out-of-room interior has been clad in timber veneer and converted to a "Museum Waiting Room" with a gallery of historical photographs framed and hung around the walls.

PLATFORMS
Platform 1 (1887): asphalt surface, brick faces with concrete capping, to central section and street side of platform, open concrete faces to south end.
Platform 2 (2001): asphalt surface, concrete face.

TOILET BLOCK (c. 1970s)
Exterior: This is a small freestanding blond texture brick building at the south end of Platform 1. The building has a flat metal deck roof.

Interior: Not accessed 2009.

PLATFORM 2 PLATFORM SHELTER (2001):
Exterior: This is a modern shelter structure, open on the platform side, with metal mesh side and clear perspex panel and aluminium framed wall to the rear, with a gabled corrugated iron roof.

Interior: contains two seats and a modern ticket machine.

LANDSCAPE/NATURAL FEATURES
The railway station is located in a parkland setting, with a park on the eastern side of the station and also a park on the western side at the southern end of the car park.

MOVEABLE ITEMS
Signal levers and staff instrument in signal box; framed historic photographs in out of room (aka Museum Waiting Room).
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Platform building (1887): Good
Lamp Room (1887): Moderate.
Signal box (c. 1910): Good
Out of Room (aka Museum Waiting Room) (1887): Good
Platform 1 (1887): good
Platform 2 (2001): Very good
Moveable items: Very good
Toilet block (c. 1970s): Good
Date condition updated:23 May 09
Modifications and dates: 1890: Signal box built between platform building and out of room
1926: brick extension to Platform 1
c. 1970s: construction of brick toilet block, replacing an earlier separate toilet block near the lamp room
1993: The gang shed at Albion Park was destroyed by fire
2001: Platform 2 and Platform 2 shelter built for electrification of the line.
N.d: awning addition to west side of platform building (modern).
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Railway Station

History

Historical notes: The township of Shellharbour was laid out in 1851 around the port of Shellharbour. Shellharbour (Municipal) Council was constituted on 4 June 1859 and the chambers, built in 1865 were located in Shellharbour. The Council relocated to Albion Park in 1897, coinciding with the decline of Shellharbour (Village) and the growth of Albion Park as a lucrative beef and dairy cattle district. (Our History page on www.shellharbour.nsw.gov.au).

The present station at this site was built as Oak Flats Station and opened on 9 November 1887 as part of the isolated Wollongong to Bombo (North Kiama) line. In 1888 it was renamed Albion Park Station, at the same time Yallah Station relinquished its original Albion Park name. A separate small town centre developed near the railway line.

The site had a substantial yard arrangement making it one of the more significant locations south of Wollongong. The site was developed just prior to the railway design standardisation that took place around 1890 and the buildings were some of the last of the ‘old’ design station buildings to be built. At the opening of the station there was a crossing loop and goods siding branching to the horse dock and standard side loading shed (since demolished). In 1885 a brick station master’s residence (J2 design) was built.

In 1890 a weatherboard signal box was constructed between the 1887 platform building and 1887 out of room and in 1913 a siding was provided for the Central Co-operative Dairy Company factory, which still exists and was purchased by RailCorp in 1993.

New housing estates in 1921 and the distance from the main town centre resulted in the station receiving the Albion Park Rail name.

With electrification of the line from Dapto to Kiama in 2001 a concrete Platform No. 2 was built on the loop with a small steel and glass shelter. Also in 2001, the station master’s residence (197 Princes Highway) was sold.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Railway Station-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Albion Park Railway Station is of State historical significance as a railway station which was a major goods yard servicing the dairy and pastoral industry, retaining structures built from 1887-1890, constructed prior to railway design standardisation and being among the last "old" design station buildings built. The station retains its physical association with the Central Co-operative Dairy Company factory built in 1913 with a siding, and with the extant Station Master's residence at 197 Princes Highway (residence no longer in RailCorp ownership).
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The weatherboard station buildings are of State aesthetic significance as a collection of vernacular late Victorian period railway station buildings dating from 1887-1890. The platform building retains both original chimneys, and is one of the two most intact (with Bulli) of four extant examples of a weatherboard 3rd class platform building on the Illawarra line. The early signalling equipment and staff instrument within the signal box are of technical significance as early NSW Railways operational equipment.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Early signalling equipment within the signal box (signal levers, staff instrument) are of research significance as historical railway operational technology.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The collection of weatherboard station buildings including lamp room, out of room and signal box at Albion Park dating from 1887 to 1890 are rare, being one of a few Illawarra line railway stations to retain late 19th century weatherboard station buildings (along with Dapto, Thirroul, Bulli, Shellharbour, Bombo and Berry). The platform building is one of only four 3rd class weatherboard platform buildings on the Illawarra line.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The platform building is a good representative weatherboard 3rd class platform building, one of only 4 weatherboard examples of this platform building type on the Illawarra line (others at Bulli, Dapto and Thirroul), of which Albion Park, along with Bulli, are the two most intact examples. Early signalling equipment within the signal box (signal levers, staff instrument) is representative of historical railway operational technology.
Integrity/Intactness: While the yard has been removed, the platform building, lamp room, signal box and out-of-room are externally relatively intact, with some internal features intact despite alterations. The station as a whole is remarkably intact and retains its physical association with historically significant structures nearby (Dairy Co-operative Factory and former Station Master's residence, no longer in RailCorp ownership). The signal box is intact with signalling equipment remaining.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0107202 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5011942


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.