Bungendore Railway Station and yard group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Bungendore Railway Station and yard group

Item details

Name of item: Bungendore Railway Station and yard group
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -35.2539623390 Long: 149.4467502400
Primary address: Gibraltar Street, Bungendore, NSW 2621
Local govt. area: Palerang
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Ngambri
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT2 DP814518
LOT4 DP830878

Boundary:

The listing boundary is the alignment of the rail property boundaries to the east at Powell St and to the west at Majara St and on the north is the extension of Turallo Terrace (where it formerly crossed the line) including the gatekeepers cottage and on the south is a line crossing the tracks approximately 30m on the southern side of the goods shed group.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Gibraltar StreetBungendorePalerang  Primary Address
Majara StreetBungendorePalerang  Alternate Address
Powell StreetBungendorePalerang  Alternate Address
Goulburn-Bombala railwayBungendorePalerang  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government21 Oct 98

Statement of significance:

Bungendore Railway Precinct comprises a state significant late nineteenth century railway station and partly intact yard, including the 1885 roadside station building, the 1885 goods shed and jib crane. The extant railway buildings and structures at Bungendore, particularly the station building and goods shed, are important elements within the wider townscape of Bungendore and are good representative examples of a series of similar items located on the Main Southern Line and the Bombala Line..
Date significance updated: 18 Jul 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: John Whitton (attributed)
Builder/Maker: J.Jordan
Construction years: 1884-1885
Physical description: MAJOR SRUCTURES - Managed by RailCorp
Station Building - type 4, standard roadside third class brick (1885)
Signal Box - type G, timber signal box with skillion roof (1917)
Platform

OTHER ITEMS - Managed by ARTC
Goods Shed - type 3, corrugated iron (1884)
Per Way Trolley Shed - corrugated iron
5 tonne metal Jib Crane (T431)


STATION BUILDING (1885)
The station buildings present as a symmetrical layout and elevation, with a central waiting room with two single storey structures to either side, one containing men’s and women’s toilets, the other the lamp room. Originally these were connected to the main building with small pavilions with yards for staff use, now removed. The building is simply planned with central waiting room flanked by the SM's office and ticket office with parcels at one end of the building and ladies waiting room at the other.

The station buildings are constructed of brick with a painted finish and feature gabled roofs clad in corrugated iron with corbelled brick chimneys. The central building features a rear porch entry to the central room which is marked by a transverse gable. Gable ends feature decorative timber barge boards and timber finials. The platform verandah has a decorative timber valance and is supported on timber posts with curved iron brackets. Timber sash windows have moulded surrounds and sills.

SIGNAL BOX (1917)
The signal box is a simple square structure with a skillion roof clad in corrugated iron and timber framed walls clad in fibro. Some signalling equipment is still evident.

GOODS SHED (1884)
The goods shed is a large rectangular structure with a gabled roof clad in corrugated iron extending to form awnings on either side of the building. The awnings are supported on timber brackets. The building is timber framed with corrugated iron wall cladding. A small office wing is clad in weatherboard. The structure features a large timber platform and timber sliding doors with diagonal boarding. The goods shed features a metal fence, advertising signs, sign with distances to Queanbeyan and Goulburn on exterior wall of office, two doors to each side of goods shed and standard horizontal timber bracing.

PLATFORM
Brick platform face with asphalt platform surface.
Date condition updated:18 Jul 13
Current use: Railway Station and Yard
Former use: Nil

History

Historical notes: Bungendore Station is located on the Bombala Line which opened as a single line from Tarago to Bungendore on 4 March 1885 and later continued to Cooma and to its terminus at Bomabala. The construction contract for the Joppa Junction to Bungendore section was awarded to W S Topham & J Angus (tramway contractors) on 3 October 1882 (Forsyth, 2009).

Construction of the station building, Station Master’s residence, goods shed, and Gatekeeper’s residences was let to a J. Jordan on 6 September 1884. The station building was officially opened on 4 March 1885 and it is likely that the goods shed, a Gatekeeper’s residence, and a Station Master’s residence were all completed around the same time (c1885) (Forsyth, 2009).

The station building at Bungendore is a five room example of Engineer-in-Chield of the NSW Railways, John Whitton's standard roadside third class station. Station buildings of this size were usually allocated to urban areas in excess of 3,000 residents. The Bungendore building, as well as those at Tarago and Queanbeyan, reflect either a large urban population or, more likely, very powerful or influential residents exercising strong political pressure on the NSW government.

Major additions and changes to the railway precinct/yard at Bungendore included the installation of a 12 ton cart weighbridge (1891, removed at an unknown date), carriage shelter shed/engine shed (1902, relocated to Coffs Harbour in 1918), and loading bank (1909). The station yard was interlocked in April 1917. The nearby stockyards were constructed in 1887, modified in 1913 and ceased to be used in 1989 (Forsyth, 2009).

The southern fork of the triangle at Bungendore, as part of the line to Captains Flat, was removed in 1972 and the precinct ceased to be used for goods traffic in 1989; however Bungendore remains an operational passenger station for Countrylink services between Sydney and Canberra (Forsyth, 2009; SRA, 1993).

A Station Master’s residence and Gatekeeper’s residence are still extant to the north of the station building, but are no longer in railway ownership.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The place demonstrates late 19th century practices and designs implemented by the NSW railways. The place includes several structures dating from the opening of the line at Bungendore in 1885 and demonstrates the layout of a typical late 19th century railway station and yard.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The site has aesthetic significance as a railway precinct that retains several original items that demonstrate railway design in the 1880s. The 1885 station building is a fine example of a Victorian third class roadside station building with fabric and fine detailing typical of the period. The railway buildings and structures at Bungendore are important elements within the wider townscape of Bungendore.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The site is of social significance to the local community on account of its lengthy association for providing an important source of employment, trade and social interaction for the local area. The site is significant for its ability to contribute to the local community’s sense of place, is a distinctive feature of the daily life of many community members, and provides a connection to the local community’s past.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The station building has representative significance as a fine example of a third class, brick standard roadside station building, similar in design to station buildings at Tarago, Michelago and other locations in NSW. The goods shed is also a good representative example of a standard late 19th century goods shed with extended platform and an attached jib crane. The collection of buildings at Bungendore demonstrates widespread late 19th and early 20th century railway customs, activities and design in NSW and are representative of similar items that are found in many other railway precincts across the state.
Integrity/Intactness: The station group including the station buildings, platforms, goods shed, per way trolley shed, jib crane and signal box have a high level of integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0110502 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5011959


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.